All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vegetarian Times magazine
      #305414 - 04/19/07 10:18 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I got an issue of Veg Times because I thought it might have lots of IBS friendly recipes. Boy, was I surprised to find that most of the recipes had dairy! I would have had to do just as much substituting as any other magazine.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegetarian Times magazine new
      #305417 - 04/19/07 11:17 AM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

I agree! I decided to go vegetarian, because I wasn't much of a meat eater anyway. But to my disappointment, vegetarian recipes are full of dairy. So I went the vegan route. These actually use dairy substitutes. Of course most of the subs are soy, which I tolerate well, but if you can't ...???
I first just went on line for "vegan recipes". try that and see if anything looks good. Its working for me!
--vegetarian by choice, vegan by necessity!

Something else to watch out for... new
      #305468 - 04/19/07 07:46 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Vegetarian and vegan food, contrary to popular myth, CAN be extremely unhealthy. Case in point: I knew many of both, back in the day, who lived on pizza (vegetarians) and french fries or vegetable tempura (vegans). You really, REALLY have to watch the fat content in veg recipes, since fat/oil is also a major trigger.

I like http://www.vegweb.com for inspiration, although I find that I have to modify a lot of the recipes for fat content. http://www.fatfree.com - the Fat-Free Vegetarian Archive - is another very good one.

Re: Something else to watch out for... new
      #305490 - 04/20/07 06:02 AM
horseperson

I agree, it takes a lot of planning to eat a balanced diet, plus eat safe foods. Its not- just go grab a salad (as some of my coworders have suggested). I found a great vegan cookbook that has arranged recipes in menus. So they are already planned and balanced, and sometimes too much food! I made polenta last night, with carrot juice, and some quacamole and a vegetable stew and it was delish!
vegetarian by choice, vegan by necessity!

#305510 - 04/20/07 09:10 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Yeah, I noticed that. I picked up a copy of "The Accidental Vegan" and she specifically talks about developing healthy vegan foods, being lower in fat and salt. I know salt is an IBS issue, but I have high blood pressure and I noticed many veggie foods and recipes seem to be pretty high in salt, too. I haven't tried anything for this book yet, but it sounds good and looks like it's mostly IBS friendly.

#305541 - 04/20/07 01:51 PM
atomic rose

Okay... polenta made with carrot juice sounds AMAZING. What cookbook did you find?

Atomic Rose: new
      #305799 - 04/24/07 08:10 AM
horseperson

The cook book is called (I think-I'm at work and the book is at home) Vegan Gourmet. The recipes are arranged in menus. Its great--Its really easy-corm meal, instant grits, carrot juice, water. cook for about 15 minutes and put in pan. Ta Da.

Re: Atomic Rose: new
      #305860 - 04/25/07 08:20 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

Do you buy carrot juice or do you juice your own?

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Thanks so much! new
      #305862 - 04/25/07 08:26 AM
atomic rose

I'm putting that one on my wish list! I'm always on the lookout for good non-meaty cookbooks. Thanks!

Re: carrot juice new
      #305874 - 04/25/07 11:58 AM
horseperson

I found it bottled at the organic food store. First time I've ever used it, so I don't know if self done is better---but this was really good.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1656

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review