All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pepp Caps & Acacia
      #305073 - 04/16/07 08:20 AM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

I have severe acid reflux. I've been following Heather's diet somewhat (obviously the somewhat is the problem). I've finally seen the light (after a horrific evening in the bathroom that left me shaking and calling (literally) my mother bc my DH was at work). I've now seen that eating the "bad" foods is nothing but a simple form of self torture. I've recommitted myself to Heather's advice and wisdom and have taken both books out of the shelf to reread. I've never ordered the acacia or the pepp caps. I'm ordering the acacia as soon as I get paid on Fri but am concerned the pepp caps might interfere with my acid reflux. What do you think? Also - if anyone has a free minute perhaps you can post your success stories so I can even more greatly see what a benefit this new lifestyle will be for me. I'm attending an Overeater's Anonymous meeting on Wed night simply bc I feel that eating all the "wrong" things knowing I'll be ill is a mental thing I need to deal with (and I'm about 25 lbs overweight). Thanks for all the help everybody!

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bump - need help please new
      #305083 - 04/16/07 09:38 AM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Re: Bump - need help please new
      #305101 - 04/16/07 12:27 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

If you have acid reflux, avoid the peppermint capsules. Peppermint relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter, which allows food and acid to come back up. Acacia shouldn't be a problem, tho. Start low and gradually increase your dose so you don't get gas.

I posted my success story on the posting called: Success at last!

Good luck!

Re: Pepp Caps & Acacia new
      #305103 - 04/16/07 12:48 PM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

I've been using the acacia and peppermint caps since december. And trying -trying to adjust my eating habits. Its been an real roller coaster. I agree that the peppermint pills will aggravate your acid reflux (I burp a cooling sensation sometimes, but not enough to bother me), but you might want to try the peppermint tea, or maybe an altoid after meals, just to test it. The acacia works very well for me. I started out small, and now take 1 TBS 2 times a day.When I ran out, I took some metamucil. Way stupid!!! I also take 2 beano with lunch and dinner, which works well. I also chew up 2 altoids after meals and drink the peppermint tea occasionally.(breakfast is the only meal I'm not afraid of). I've completely eliminated all dairy from my diet. Fortunately I can substitute soy so its not so bad. I do really miss cheese though! Soy cheese is - awful! I pretty much follow heathers suggestions in the books, but I don't eat meat, so I've bought vegan cookbooks and so far its been a success. When I follow the guidelines, and use the supplements, all is well. But I regularly make stupid choices, and pay for it. My children are grown, so I only have to feed my husband. He still eats chicken and pork-but has stopped eating red meat and most dairy with me!!! My advice, try the acacia, try beano, maybe think about trying peppermint tea. I'm on day 11 with no issues. this is the longest I've gone in 35 years!!

hi bankslewis new
      #305373 - 04/18/07 07:11 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

saw you mention soy cheese, have you tried the Vegan Gourmet soy cheese? it's really good, and actually melts like cheese, the texture is also not creepy like some of the soy cheeses are.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Re: hi dizzy new
      #305401 - 04/19/07 06:28 AM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

Thanks...no I haven't tried that. But there is a wonderful organic grocery store near where I work, and I'll look there.
I have to tell someone---today is day 14 with a quiet gut!!!!Woo Hoo.
I'm still afraid with every meal that I'll mess up, but its been a wonderfully quiet (with only a little gas in the evenings-which I can handle) 14 days!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7051 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review