All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Addicted To Supplements
      #304891 - 04/13/07 06:33 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

i find that i'm always buying a new vitamin or herbal supplement. ive spent a small fortune on supplements over the past few years and 9/10 times i will take 5-10 of them and then never open the bottle again. i would like to stop this cycle. now im on this kick of trying to heal a leaky gut and cleanse my body but i have no idea of the stuff i'm taking is even helping. is it better to just let your body heal on its own or do supplements really help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Addicted To Supplements new
      #304893 - 04/13/07 06:53 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

Honestly, I've had no luck with supplements. I have to take Flintstones vitamins for petes sake bc everything else upsets my stomach. I plan to order the acacia but I can't help but think the less we "add" to our tummies the better off we'll be. Some nights I'm so sensitive I don't want to take my prescription drugs! I occasionally take a supplement for pain and anxiety but I think it's more mental than anything else. The supplement really doesn't help a whole lot. I'm really trying to get my head around the idea that our systems are just not "normal" and we have to make accomodations for it. It's a hard thought to live with - no more __________(fill in the blank) for the rest of my life if I want to live without pain. Whoa! Totally went off topic! Just be careful with the supplements - sometimes "stuff" is added that we don't realize and it doesn't help.

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

#304894 - 04/13/07 07:59 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I think that instead of taking supplements, you should just stick with whole and organic foods. If you do think you need any type of supplement, though, I suggest Standard Process (the link on the bottom). They are whole food supplements without any additives (I promise!).

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Same here new
      #304905 - 04/14/07 04:04 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Soluble fiber supplements DO help, honestly. And for cramping, peppermint is practically a miracle. But beyond that? I've never found any supplement that's worth the money you spend on it.

Most supplements are a lot of hype, designed to sell the product above all else, with very little in the way of results. I think you're far better off focusing on a healthy diet, stress and anxiety management, and exercise.

Re: Same here new
      #304906 - 04/14/07 04:27 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

The only other supplement (besides fiber and peppermint) I have had any success with is Natural Calm. It really helps w/ C and insomnia. Other than that my pantry is a graveyard for useless supplements.

#304911 - 04/14/07 07:16 AM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

Speaking of Supplements, My daughter is really bloated as of yesterday and was in a little pain last night. She is on the benifiber right now with 1-t in the morning and 1-t at night I afraid to give her any more at this time because it hard making her dring enough liquids. I'm trying real hard on giving her SF with ISF, and I know she need to go and once she does she'll feel a lot better, but I'm not sure if the benifiber is making her bloated? And she did so well these last 2 day drinking liquids. Also I was wondering has anyone tried Digestive Advantage IBS caplets? Any help wanted. Thanks

What else have you tried? new
      #304922 - 04/14/07 08:01 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Have you tried digestive enzymes or probiotics? They didn't help? What else have you tried that you didn't think helped? I am a supplement junkie.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Difficult question new
      #304925 - 04/14/07 08:04 AM
Jordy

Some people post that a certain supplement has really helped them...like a digestive enzyme or a probiotic or L glutamine, Gas Stop, beano, flax meal, omega oil capsules, magnesium, cacium, peppermint caps, gas-x, SFS,etc. It's only natural to want to try them when you are so desperate.

Well have you tried that you don't think helped? What is your current regime of supplements?

--------------------

#304926 - 04/14/07 08:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's a thread that helped me stop looking for a miracle cure and just buckle down and try Heather's approach whole-heartedly. KinOz's post was particularly helpful to me.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

So, what is a good selection/balance to take? new
      #304927 - 04/14/07 08:12 AM
Jordy

What is a solid base to invest in to help IBS? (especially IBS-C for me).

--------------------

Acacia, L-Glutamine, Multi-vitamin new
      #304938 - 04/14/07 10:42 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Nothing else I have ever taken has done much to help me.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: What else have you tried? new
      #304952 - 04/14/07 01:39 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Ive tried probiotics and they havent helped with my C or lactose intolerance. ive taken digestive enzymes, with and w/o HCL - they give me indigestion and make my stools thin. Fiber doesnt work. right now im taking zinc and oregano oil cause i might have a leaky gut and am on oxypowder cause ive been going every 3-4 days and want to clean myself out.

#304955 - 04/14/07 02:16 PM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

I took Digestive Advantage....and didn't notice anything.

Re: So, what is a good selection/balance to take? new
      #304977 - 04/14/07 09:13 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well, like many people here I have an entire cupboard of half-full bottles of expensive supplements... Gut-wise, I'm so inconsistent that it's hard for me to tell what's worked and not, but for an IBS-C I do recommend Magnesium or something containing it like Natural Calm. I take 1000 mg of Magnesium daily. My naturapath also has me on a bowel-soothing supplement called Robert's Complex (containing slippery elm, among other things), fish oil capsules, GABA (for stress) and Bio-K probiotic yoghurt, but I really can't say for sure which of these, if any, is helping. I do recommmend some type of fibre supplement, that seems to help almost everyone here. And the aforementioned magnesium, I think that's helped me with the constipation.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

hohoyumyum new
      #304985 - 04/15/07 07:28 AM
Angel in Pain

What is L-Glutamine??????????? And did you ever take the benifiber? I find the acacia a little chalkey when I mix it with water.

Re: hohoyumyum new
      #304997 - 04/15/07 11:05 AM
hohoyumyum

L-Glutamine:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=CF-1005

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/lgl_0125.shtml
Be sure to read the "indications and usage" section on this site.

I never put my acacia in water. I always mix it in food. In sauces, applesauce, grits, oatmeal, burritos, eggs, sandwiches, anything that it will soak into. I don't like it in fluids because it takes a while to dissolve, and frankly, I don't want to take the time to mix it in. I've never tried any other fiber supplement and I never will as long as acacia continues to work as effectively for me as it does now.

--------------------

#305649 - 04/22/07 02:13 PM
Angel in Pain

If your putting the acacia in your food, how do you know if you getting the right amount of acacia per day, especial if you save some of the food for the next day?
Thanks

#305654 - 04/22/07 02:44 PM
hohoyumyum

I put it in individuals meals. I don't use it in big batches of anything. I'll put it in a burrito or in a dipping sauce, etc, something that I'll finish in one sitting.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 543 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4189

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review