All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Worst flare-up in a long time!
      #304729 - 04/12/07 10:03 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I got a tummy bug about a week ago and since then my IBS has been terrible! I was pretty stable right before I got sick and was able to cheat from time to time (e.g. nibble on some cheese or veggies that I normally cannot tolerate).

Anyway, since the bug I feel like I cannot keep anything from going right through my system! I was in bed all night last night writhing from intestinal pain and cramps and horrble gas. I have been trying the BTC diet, but the stomach pains and twisting intestinal feelings won't go away.

What should I do? I am miserable at work (running to and from the bathroom is wearing me out) and I have a family vacation planned for the weekend. I am stressing over that because all I want to do is lay in bed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worst flare-up in a long time! new
      #304733 - 04/12/07 10:15 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Sounds like you might need a heavy dose of probiotics!! Perhaps the "bug" destroyed all of your good bacteria. Can you get Bio-K+ at a HFS near you?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304738 - 04/12/07 10:20 AM
AmandaM

I have never tried that. I am sure I can. I have a fantastic Natural Foods Co-op near my home.

I am taking probiotics that I have always taken, which don't seem to help much. I think they are Primadophilus. I've taken so many over the years, it's hard to keep them all straight.

Have you had good results with Bio-K+?

#304746 - 04/12/07 10:29 AM
Lisa Marie

I had a horrible bout of D during a course of antibiotics - and the Bio-K cleared it up within a day or two. I just finished a 3 month course of it, and it really helped. Kat (K2) loves it too!

It is pricey though, so it's not an ideal long-term remedy. From what Kat says, the pill version is not effective at all.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#304750 - 04/12/07 10:36 AM
AmandaM

So, is it a powder or liquid?

#304751 - 04/12/07 10:37 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

If you're still feeling horrible it's a good idea to go to your doctor. If it was a stomach virus then it would be out of your system probably within 48 hours. If it's bacteria-related then it might still be causing problems.

If you think you're better but just your IBS is acting up, them keep eating really safe, and trying taking Imodium to lessen the D.

--------------------
Kat

#304755 - 04/12/07 10:45 AM
AmandaM

Thanks! Yeah, I think I am better but my stomach is just all out of whack now after going through the stomach flu. I was vomiting and had D for about a day and a half and it went away. What I am experiencing now, I call D, but it's really just really loose stools and the characteristic IBS cramping and urgency. I take Immodium daily anyway, so maybe I'll just up the dosage.

#304770 - 04/12/07 01:09 PM
Lisa Marie

it comes in little bottles of soy "yogurt". Make sure you get the dairy free kind! They taste very sweet; I used to mix it with my breakfast smoothie. You have to ease into it; I think I did 1/3 bottle for 3 days, then 1/2 bottle for a few days, then a full bottle. LOTS of good bacteria!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review