food allergies?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Help/Advice on Food Allergy Testings new
      #304331 - 04/09/07 09:22 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello,
I had allergy testing done about a year ago when my IBS was REALLY bad. The most comprehensive and accurate tests comes from a blood test due to the fact that when your body is allergic to something it makes antibodies to that substance. You can be allergic to anything. The testing I had done was called LRA by ELISA/ACT tests (Lymphocyte Response Assay by Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbant Assay with Advanced Cell Test). It sounds (and is) a mouthful...but this type of testing is able to detect your TRUE (sympton-provoking) reactions to substances. They will also detect delayed (hidden) immune responces. It tests about 300 different substances. Very thorough.
It is amazing what you can be allergic to. Sugar (cane), garlic, allspice, chemicals in tap water, etc came up for me. What you try to do is to stay off the substances that you react to so your body can heal itself, then a few months down the line you reintroduce them again. I was only concerned with the ones that gave me stomach trouble.
Here is a web site: www.ELISAACT.com

I hope that helps!
MeiMei

#304334 - 04/09/07 09:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Talk to your GP. There are a number of methods for doing food allergy tests (e.g. skin prick test, blood test, food challenge test, elimination diet). It is not something you can do at home. One of the problems is distinguishing food allergies from food intolerances. Here is a nice write up from Texas A&M University about the difference between them. Be careful of some the site on the Web that claim to do food allergy testing. It is something that should be done through a referral by your GP.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies closed down new
      #304336 - 04/09/07 09:58 AM
Syl

The note on the bottom of the web page says "Effective October 14, 2006, ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies (EAB) has closed its operations until further notice."

Also there is a warning about the use of ELISA/ACT test for food allergies on QuackWatch

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#304337 - 04/09/07 09:59 AM
jshelt

Reged: 01/31/07

I was tested for food allergies at a supermarket here in AZ called Basha's. I had a blood test done. I thought it was a waste of money. The test just showed that I was more allergic to the foods that I eat and the ones that I don't eat I was not allergic to at all. I hope this helps.

Re: ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies closed down new
      #304340 - 04/09/07 10:39 AM
meimei

Oh my gosh! I had no idea. I wonder what the deal was with it?? I found it helpful in relieving some of my IBS pain, but not all. I spent a fortune on all that testing! What a waste! Live and learn!
MeiMei

Are there any reliable testing companies? new
      #304341 - 04/09/07 11:00 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Like York? Or are they all a scam? I am really close to having this done.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Are there any reliable testing companies? new
      #304360 - 04/09/07 11:45 AM
Syl

Personally, I would never have an allergy or food intolerance test done without the advice of my GP. There are far too many scammers in the game.

--------------------

#304361 - 04/09/07 11:48 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

My GP told me to get one! He said when traditional medicine fails to help....try other things. But he isn't paying the bill so it's no loss to him. Plus, he just doesn't know what else to do or say!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#304370 - 04/09/07 12:51 PM
meimei

Hi again! I feel so scammed by my Dr! He talked this testing procedure up so much, like it was going to definitely cure my IBS. I wonder if the testing even helped at all?? I am stable now, but I also LIVE by Heather's diet. I feel like I can't trust any gastro dr's! Thanks for letting me know about the company closing. Now I know I won't go back to that dr!
MeiMei

#304374 - 04/09/07 12:58 PM
Syl

What kind of doc did you see? A GP or GI doc?

--------------------

#304377 - 04/09/07 01:02 PM
meimei

GI. I thought he was best qualified to "fix" me...but I guess not!

#304379 - 04/09/07 01:13 PM
Syl

Did he recommend the ELISA/ACT test from this company?

--------------------

#304390 - 04/09/07 01:44 PM
Syl

According to the YorkTest web site the test "measures specific IgG antibodies to identify foods to which you may be sensitive. The presence of IgG antibodies indicates a possible sensitivity to a particular food."

The former president of the British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI) testified to the UK Select Committee on Health

"Closely linked to Provocation-Neutralization are a number of other unsubstantiated tests which are widely available but have never stood up to any real scientific scrutiny. These include serum IgG antibodies for food allergy ("Yorktest"), iridology, applied kinesiology (muscle testing), cytotoxic food testing—ALCAT, electrodermal skin tests—VEGA testing, ELISA/ACT and hair analysis."

If you are thinking of having allergy tests then I would recommend having your GP refer you to an allergist.

--------------------

#304435 - 04/09/07 05:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You can have a blood test for gluten and similar allergy tests for eggs. But my doctor recommends doing elimination diets for 2 weeks and then add it back in. Such as, go off wheat for 2 weeks then eat a whole bunch of wheat and see if you get sick. Then repeat this up to 3 times. Then move on to other things. Another way to do it is have a large amount of whatever, like tomato juice for fructose or milk for dairy, on an empty stomach and wait to see what happens. That is too risky for me!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#304513 - 04/10/07 02:19 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I haven't read this entire thread because I'm short on time, so someone may have already answered your question, but here's what I did.

Went to the allergist (same type that treats seasonal allergies, etc). Told him I was afraid of having an allergic reaction to foods. He said the best (reliable results, inexpensive, quick and easy to do) would be a skin test. He gave me a list of foods, I chose the ones I wanted to be tested for, and they pricked my arm (one for each food). Then I sat there for 15-20 minutes to see if the spots got red/itchy bumps. There were none, except for the histamine control spot. YAY! No more worries about food allergies! :-)

He did say you can have some other tests run, including a blood test, but he said this simple skin test is really the best type of test to take. He said there is no reliable method of testing for food intolerances/sensitivities that produce tummy troubles (like IBSers have) except by trial and error (elimination diet).

For example, he used to have IBS-type symptoms, but it was actually an intolerance to garlic and onions. He found this by doing an elimination diet to see what was bothering his stomach. He had a blood test done, too, but it did not show that he had any problem with garlic or onions. That's a totally different type of food reaction that doesn't show up in your blood stream.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3096 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2924

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review