food allergies?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Help/Advice on Food Allergy Testings new
      #304331 - 04/09/07 09:22 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hello,
I had allergy testing done about a year ago when my IBS was REALLY bad. The most comprehensive and accurate tests comes from a blood test due to the fact that when your body is allergic to something it makes antibodies to that substance. You can be allergic to anything. The testing I had done was called LRA by ELISA/ACT tests (Lymphocyte Response Assay by Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbant Assay with Advanced Cell Test). It sounds (and is) a mouthful...but this type of testing is able to detect your TRUE (sympton-provoking) reactions to substances. They will also detect delayed (hidden) immune responces. It tests about 300 different substances. Very thorough.
It is amazing what you can be allergic to. Sugar (cane), garlic, allspice, chemicals in tap water, etc came up for me. What you try to do is to stay off the substances that you react to so your body can heal itself, then a few months down the line you reintroduce them again. I was only concerned with the ones that gave me stomach trouble.
Here is a web site: www.ELISAACT.com

I hope that helps!
MeiMei

#304334 - 04/09/07 09:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Talk to your GP. There are a number of methods for doing food allergy tests (e.g. skin prick test, blood test, food challenge test, elimination diet). It is not something you can do at home. One of the problems is distinguishing food allergies from food intolerances. Here is a nice write up from Texas A&M University about the difference between them. Be careful of some the site on the Web that claim to do food allergy testing. It is something that should be done through a referral by your GP.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies closed down new
      #304336 - 04/09/07 09:58 AM
Syl

The note on the bottom of the web page says "Effective October 14, 2006, ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies (EAB) has closed its operations until further notice."

Also there is a warning about the use of ELISA/ACT test for food allergies on QuackWatch

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#304337 - 04/09/07 09:59 AM
jshelt

Reged: 01/31/07

I was tested for food allergies at a supermarket here in AZ called Basha's. I had a blood test done. I thought it was a waste of money. The test just showed that I was more allergic to the foods that I eat and the ones that I don't eat I was not allergic to at all. I hope this helps.

Re: ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies closed down new
      #304340 - 04/09/07 10:39 AM
meimei

Oh my gosh! I had no idea. I wonder what the deal was with it?? I found it helpful in relieving some of my IBS pain, but not all. I spent a fortune on all that testing! What a waste! Live and learn!
MeiMei

Are there any reliable testing companies? new
      #304341 - 04/09/07 11:00 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Like York? Or are they all a scam? I am really close to having this done.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Are there any reliable testing companies? new
      #304360 - 04/09/07 11:45 AM
Syl

Personally, I would never have an allergy or food intolerance test done without the advice of my GP. There are far too many scammers in the game.

--------------------

Re: Are there any reliable testing companies? new
      #304361 - 04/09/07 11:48 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

My GP told me to get one! He said when traditional medicine fails to help....try other things. But he isn't paying the bill so it's no loss to him. Plus, he just doesn't know what else to do or say!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies closed down new
      #304370 - 04/09/07 12:51 PM
meimei

Hi again! I feel so scammed by my Dr! He talked this testing procedure up so much, like it was going to definitely cure my IBS. I wonder if the testing even helped at all?? I am stable now, but I also LIVE by Heather's diet. I feel like I can't trust any gastro dr's! Thanks for letting me know about the company closing. Now I know I won't go back to that dr!
MeiMei

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1065 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2924

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review