All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint oil caps - problem with when to take them
      #304326 - 04/09/07 08:35 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Sorry if I am repeating a question that's already been covered. I have done a search on peppermint oil capsules and it has only left me more puzzled. I have just got some (Heather's) to try. I know it says that they have to be taken on an empty stomach (anything from one hour to just before eating from what I can find out on the boards)...but my problem is that I try to eat small portions every 2 hours or so, therefore my stomach is never truly empty. I do this because the EFI diet advises this kind of eating plan, and I find it really helps. I would appreciate any feedback please.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint oil caps - problem with when to take them new
      #304430 - 04/09/07 05:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It doesn't matter; they will still be effective. If you take them before eating, especially if you think you won't digest something well, then they will help ready your system for eating. Or you can also take whenever you feel grumbly or whenever you remember to take them. If you take them a few times a day before eating they will have the best effect. I take them before eating out and after meals if I am grumbly. They prevent D when you get gurgles.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#304521 - 04/10/07 03:32 PM
christie

Reged: 04/16/03

I always have something in my stomach especially when I take the peppermint caps. It's really hard for me to get them to go all the way down so I end up drinking a LOT of water while eating something as well to help them along. Also, it seems that the pills only work with me if I take them two hours before I eat. Everyone is different so just do what's best for you.

#304548 - 04/11/07 02:45 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Thanks for replying, Little Minnie and Christie. It is difficult to get the caps down with just a little water only. Also, although I don't have GERD, yesterday I was aware of a minty cool sensation all the way up from my stomach to my mouth just after taking one. Weird! I assume it must have split open on the way down. Like you suggest, I'll find out what works best for me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 607

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review