All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is a substitution for soy sauce in asian recipes?
      #304124 - 04/05/07 02:44 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

It's hard to find sauces to cook my daughter's chicken with. She can't have tomato based sauces because of GERD and she can't tolerate soy sauce because food allergy testing showed a moderate reaction to it. There are so many great chicken recipes on here and the IBS cookbook that use soy sauce. Does anyone know of a substitution for it that I can use in theses recipes?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is a substitution for soy sauce in asian recipes? new
      #304150 - 04/05/07 08:51 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

You might actually be able to find a soy sauce without any soy in it. Have a look at the ingredients of the soy sauces your grocery store has, maybe one of them won't have soy in it.

--------------------
Kat

#304178 - 04/06/07 11:36 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

If she's sensitive to the wheat in soy sauce, you might try "BRAGG's seasoning" or tamari which are both wheat-free.

Can she have citrus flavours? Lemons and limes really perk up an entree. I love making sauces with vegetable purees, i.e. roasted red peppers. How about a mushroom-based sauce? Herbs and spices and be creatively and artfully employed for a sauce. I love playing around with pureed spinach to create sauces. I'm not sure how sensitive she would be to vinegars (there are so many varieties of vinegars) with GERDs. Rice vinegar is quite low acid. You can really funk up food with mustards, as well. Can you create a creamy white sauce with a safe non-dairy mock-milk? I know that there are recipes for them on the recipe board. I'm pretty sure that there are recipes for safe gravies as well. Does she tolerate berries? I love using pureed berries for savory dressings and BBQ sauces.

Kate, IBS-D.

#304202 - 04/06/07 04:39 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

How would you make a vegetable puree? I am not a creative cook and often don't have much time.

#304241 - 04/07/07 11:28 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's really simple to make a vegetable puree. It's basically cooking a vegetable and blending it either with a hand blender or a food processor. Different combinations of vegetables can be fun/interesting. Roasted vegetable sauces taste delicious. Adding herbs and spices enhances the flavours as well.

Also, on the recipe board there is a great mock tomato sauce recipe that doesn't involve tomatoes. Check it out.

Kate, IBB-D.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1346

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review