All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Please help...battling gas and bloating
      #303914 - 04/03/07 09:32 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I don't know what has been going on with me lately. I don't think I've changed too much in my diet, but b/c I consider myself stable (or at least stable from my D), I have been eating a variety of things but nothing "new." I have added much more IF b/c I wasn't having daily bms and without them, I was quite uncomfortable, also feeling incomplete evacuation. Now I am "going" daily...but the problem is that I get so bloated and gassy by late day...I can't figure out if it's lunch (different daily) or too much soy (replacement foods like cream cheese or a luna bar) or even my calcium supplement. I had considered switching from Caltrate Plus to one with magnesium also but I didn't want to mess with it once I started having normal, daily bms.

So last night I did not take my calcium supplement, today I did not have any more soy than my soyfee in the morning, and I also skipped my 1/2 tsp acacia dose at lunch, thinking perhaps maybe that was a culprit. I know I am all over the place but if I did the BTC diet, I would get extremely c so I guess I'm asking for some thoughts in case anything sticks out to someone. It is such a grueling process to trial and error with this IBS.

Today I had minimal gas but I was still bloated...it's like I wonder if it is just "fat" in my belly b/c perhaps I've put on a few pounds?? It looks so rounded though and my belly button sticks out (it hasn't quite gone back in since my last baby 2 1/2 years ago! ) Does anyone else have this?

Here's an idea of what I have been eating:
soyfee with 1/2 tsp acacia AM
oatmeal with water...some raisins (some days without raisins and still feel gassy later in day)
good bm
feel wonderful...no gas/bloat for morning

morning snack: bagel, fruit, Heather's banana bread, or smoothie...always IF included since I didn't have much at breakfast. Even ww bagels.

Gas seems to start

lunch: 1/2 tsp acacia, turkey sandwich on italian bread, rye with tomato and lite miracle whip, some fruit, pretzels (which by the way, I have always thought pretzels gave me gas...but again...even on days I don't have them, I feel the same )

later snack: peanut butter ( not daily b/c this can give me gas) and 1/2 banana or bite or two of my son's pb and j on ww bread, fruit, graham crackers

dinner: lately brown rice instead of white or pasta with chicken or seafood, veggie burgers once in a while, always lots of veggies mostly IF(broccoli, medium basic salad, green beans, asparagus, sweet potatoes...) 1/2 tsp acacia

Dessert: non-dairy ice cream or a luna bar (often only half)still gassy with non-soy desserts by the end of the day, almond choc. milk with rice crispies

Note that I have been taking beano before lunch AND dinner now....not sure what to change!! Could I be getting too much IF? I felt it was the right amount b/c I am having 1 normal bm daily, but it feels like by evening, another bm would empty all the gas and bloat. What about the acacia amount? I have been back and forth on whether to add or decrease...if I add, then I would be trying to eat IF ALL day to balance it I think.

Please give some suggestions! I'm going to stay off the caltrate for a few days and see what happens (I can always do a cal-mag supplement when I'm ready) and also I'm going to avoid soy products or at least reduce them. I posted about not liking tea and possibly trying some peppermint tummy tamers. Thank you for any insight!!!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help...battling gas and bloating new
      #303915 - 04/03/07 10:32 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

The only things that stick out to me really are whole wheat foods, salad, and fruit. Some people can handle these better than others. For me, though, almost anything more than a couple of bites of either can make me gassy.

My worst gas culprit is egg whites. I still eat them, but I just choose carefully when and how much I eat. As for soy, soy milk can make me SLIGHTLY gassy, but nothing bad at all. I eat either tofu or a soy burger almost every day with no gas problems at all. For whatever reason, the tofu type stuff seems to be much better for me. I totally pigged out tonight at dinner on my tofu spaghetti and, as usual, didn't have even a rumble afterwards.

I hope you're able to figure out what your culprit is. I'd start by eliminating the whole wheat first, since that is a common IBS problem food. If that doesn't help, then you can look at what/how much fruit you're eating and other things. I know for me, though, that your morning snack would make me gassy, too.

#303921 - 04/03/07 11:26 PM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

So sorry to hear you are having such a miserable time with the bloating and gas. I was having similiar problems after being on the Acacia Fiber for 6 1/2 weeks, after always being "D" I became "C" was throughly miserable and uncomfortable, the more IF foods I ate the worse the bloating got and I needed to eat them to stop the "C". I drank gallons of Fennel Tea and other teas, tried the P. Caps but I have difficulty swallowing pills and as you are only supposed to drink alitte water with them they would not go down properly, then I would get a strong peppermint taste come up into my throat, Altoids worked better. I tried eating more IF to help with the "C" and I took Beano before lunch and dinner(I recall you were the one who recommended it to me, it made me gag but I got them down, they helped some). I was having trouble sleeping because of the painful gas, used the Heating pad all night. My Dr told me to stop the Acacia, fiber does not agree with everyone, within 2 days of stopping the Acacia, I started havng BM's and the gas and bloat started to disappear. Now I"m back to loose BM's after a couple of "bad "D" episodes but I was happy to be cleared out and rid of the gas build-up. I've started with the Caltrate 600+ which helped me a few years back, they haven't given me any significant gas or bloat yet, only 2nd day. I can't take soy products, make me too gassy. It appears to me many of the foods you eat are gas producers, wheat, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, peanut butter, many fruits are too, especially dried fuits, I wish I could advise you what to do "Line415", have you checked with your Dr, it sounds to me like you have lots of trapped gas? I do hope you feel better soon.

#303924 - 04/04/07 05:10 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

It may just be that your body is not used to this much fiber (since you said you started eating more IF). You could cut back on the veggies and slowly reintroduce them so your body has time to adjust. I know it's not a problem for everyone, but the inulin in Luna bars gives me major bloating and gas. It might be worth a try to cut those out for a couple days and see if that helps.

--------------------
Kim

#303934 - 04/04/07 07:09 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I read through your diet and the following foods would and do cause major gas for me:
Acacia, bananas, bagels and pretzels (which can be more common gas producers than you would think), veggie burger (contains soy), broccoli, salads, asparagus, soy "ice" cream, and LUNA bars, big time.

Depends on what kind of fruit you are eating.

That's just my personal experience, though.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#303940 - 04/04/07 07:50 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I never really had trouble with gas, until I had a Laparoscopy done in December. Ever since then, I have experienced trapped intestinal gas that causes me cramping and abdominal pain. The ONLY thing that I find helps me is many many glass of hot fennel tea. Drinking fennel seems to relieve the trapped gas and pain.

Thanks but now what do I eat? new
      #303942 - 04/04/07 07:57 AM
line415

Thanks for everyone's replies. Yes, it would appear that many of my foods could cause gas, but what do I eat? I need the IF to make me go or else I get even more gas and bloating b/c of c. I had always eaten broccoli VERY soft and believe it or not that is the least of the culprits. I started doing ww again b/c I figured it was a nutritous IF and I could handle it (meaning no d but I guess major gas does not mean true stability either, huh?)

Today...starting out good as usual. Oatmeal..NO raisins, good bm, no gas, now I'm having some banana bread and cantaloupe so we'll see what happens. Ya know, perhaps it was the bagels that triggered these past few days of bloat...it seems that when I get them from certain stores, they must be made differently.

I have a question about acacia since I am so confused now. If I have a meal that has a lot of SF (food-wise like pasta), can I just eliminate my 1/2 tsp of acacia for that meal? Or would that be too much changing from day to day with my amount? I would always take the dose in the AM, but later in the day maybe the extra fiber is giving me the bloat. Ugh...this is so crazy trying to figure it out! Just when I thought I had it down...I take a few steps back.

--------------------

Re: Thanks but now what do I eat? new
      #303945 - 04/04/07 08:10 AM
Jordy

I think that for me, and even for some lucky others, bloat and gas just may be a constant symptom, no matter what we eat. I eat very "conservatively" and still get gas and bloat every day. The mentioned foods above just make it worse for me.

And fennel does not help me, unfortunately. I also take GasStop or beano...but still get gas/bloat, so I have no answer for you. Sorry. If you figure something out, please let me know.

--------------------

#303947 - 04/04/07 08:39 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

So sorry to hear about your gassy problems. I know, from experience, how miserable it is. I have that problem a lot!

I have trouble with any fruit. I eat fruit only in the evening, around dinner time. If I eat it any earlier I will definitely have problems. The same holds true for me with soy...evening only. You might want to try cutting back on the fruit and have it only at dinner. It might help. I cannot handle ANY whole wheat! You might want to eliminate that for a while. I just posted a GREAT recipe for Honey Oatmeal Bread in the recipe board. It's great and gives me no problems. Good luck!

#303954 - 04/04/07 09:16 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

I had always eaten broccoli VERY soft and believe it or not that is the least of the culprits.

I just spent the last three days recovering from a "broccoli attack". I ate some for dinner Saturday and a little more for lunch Sunday, and spent Sunday afternoon, Monday, and Tuesday morning with D (I'm normally C). I won't be touching that stuff for a LONG time!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#303960 - 04/04/07 09:48 AM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hi "Line 415",
I do know how difficult it is for you to know what to eat! I too cut back on the Acacia although I was only up to 1 1/2 tsp twice a day, cutting back didn't help I still had "C" and the terrible trapped gas and bloat, so I stopped taking it. I was drinking water all of the time too, trips to the bathroom to empty my bladder were numerous, almost as if the liquids were going straight into my bladder, not helping to move things along in my colon. I was so backed up. I was desperate 4-5 days-no BM did not want to take a laxative, so started drinking prune juice with pulp and eating more wheat cereals, finally had several long "D" episodes but it cleared me out along with the bloat and gas, my pants fasten easily again and I don't have to take Beano! I too am used to eating all the veggies you mention and they never gave me gas and bloat like I was having with the Acacia. Now I am back to eating my regular morning Quick Quaker oatmeal but since the severe "C" I now add a little ground flaxseed powder to it, this is a new thing for me so I am adding it very gradually but it is SF & IF with other benefits, so far so good. I sometimes mix the oatmeal with Cream of Rice, cook them together but if my BM's are loose I go heavier on the rice. So I'm going to continue to get my SF from foods, for me it definatly works better. I am also able to eat more of the IF food keeping away from ones that trigger "D" episodes, many fruits can do this to me and though I love them I just stick to the ones that I am fine with. I really thought the Acacia Fiber was the answer for me but I never want to experience the severe "C" the awful pain from gas and bloating that I suffered while on it. The old adage, "different strokes for different folks" rang true for me! My Dr (a woman) told me to follow my own instincts more for I know my own body best, after all, I've battled IBS-D for many years.
Good Luck "Line 415" I hope you find what will work for you soon and you start to feel better.
PS: I'd be happy to send you an unopened bottle of peppermint caps, no charge, if you think you'd like to try them.

#303977 - 04/04/07 12:33 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would try getting most IF from veggies that don't cause too much gas. Also another thing to consider is when you are eating more of the gas-producing foods, which seems to be with your dinner. I find if I have more veggies with lunch I do better with gas/bloat in the evenings then pilling it all on at dinner time.

Gas/bloating is in my opinion one of the hardest things to get rid of. I used to only get gas and bloating when I ate trigger foods. When I started on this diet I ate mostly SF, had no gas and great BMs, but it didn't seem like a healthy diet to continue on forever. Now trying to incorporate more IF is actually helping my BMs even more, but I have also had to deal with gas/bloating. I think this will just take more time to deal with it. I do think that your stomach has to get used to the extra fiber, so try to eat similarily most days and give it time, be patient.

As for the Acacia, I would keep it constant even if you are eating more SF one day than another. Don't worry too much about amounts of fiber in total, just try to get the ratio of SF/IF that works for you. I also suggest trying to eat similar foods each day (don't vary too much day-to-day in the veggies you are eating) so that you can maybe pinpoint what is causing the gas more.

--------------------
Kat

Today was much better.... new
      #304008 - 04/04/07 05:55 PM
line415

Thanks everyone. You have given me food for thought (at least I can eat that! )

Today was much better. Here's what I did:

Last night I did not take my Caltrate.

AM: Soyfee with 1/2 tsp acacia.
Oatmeal with water...NO RAISINS.
Good bm. No gas.

Snack/early lunch: Banana muffin, cantaloupe
No acacia, water

Snack: graham crackers and slice of turkey (no bread...couldn't decide which kind to put it on!), water

Little bit of gas

Snack: 1/2 ww bagel with smart balance light, cantaloupe, 2 grapes (yes, no SF here...bagels from dunkin donuts...funny they didn't give me gas but I think the other place's bagels did???), water

Still felt fine

Dinner: 3 BEANO...leftover noodles and asparagus but waaay less than I ate yesterday, sweet potato No Acacia (first time I ever skipped it with dinner), water

Dessert: Kit Kat ...I don't usually do regular chocolate, but my alternatives for my choc. craving all contained soy (luna bars, tofutti cuties, soy ice cream)...If it turns out that soy is my huge gas culprit, can many of the choc. desserts in the recipes be made with rice or almond milk (preferably almond)?

SOOOO....I feel pretty good right now. A bit bloated but VERY MINIMAL gas...like a normal person would I suppose. I guess you could say it was an extremely successful day. So I'm going to keep a log of all these foods b/c it seems they are manageable. Now to wonder whether only taking acacia in the AM had an influence, or stopping the Caltrate too, or eliminating soy and the raisins. One day/alteration at a time I guess...

Incidentally, can anyone suggest a reason as to why my body can very easily tolerate the Soyfee that I drink daily? It is pure soybeans brewed like coffee (maybe b/c they're broken down?) I have been drinking it since the end of Sept. and it has never seemed to give me gas (at least directly...it would have to be HOURS and HOURS later if it was a culprit)...interesting...but great b/c I can't get by without the stuff as my coffee replacement.

By the way, will digestive enzymes help with gas/bloating like Beano does? Better or less? I have some GNC multi-enzymes that I had tried months ago. Maybe I should try again.

Thank you all!!
(And Genie..thanks for the pepp. caps offer...I may take you up on it if I can't get this gas/bloat under control. I have a feeling that I'll be one of those people who can't "get it down" though b/c I'm horrible with pills )

--------------------

Re: Today was much better.... new
      #304009 - 04/04/07 06:08 PM
K2

"Kit Kat ...I don't usually do regular chocolate, but my alternatives for my choc. craving all contained soy (luna bars, tofutti cuties, soy ice cream)...If it turns out that soy is my huge gas culprit, can many of the choc. desserts in the recipes be made with rice or almond milk (preferably almond)?"

I've been using Almond Breeze Original in recipes and haven't noticed any taste/texture problems at all. Works great, and no bloating. I just wanted to make a note that dairy products probably cause more bloating/gas than soy products. My biggest symptom when having dairy/chocolate was bloating, and even 'normal' people get gas/bloating related to milk products. At least with soy products you can take Beano beforehand to prevent the gas.

"Incidentally, can anyone suggest a reason as to why my body can very easily tolerate the Soyfee that I drink daily? "

I'm guessing it's because you've been so consistent with it. The soy is something that obviously isn't upsetting your stomach, and your body seems to deal with any gas produced from it.

--------------------
Kat

#304015 - 04/04/07 07:48 PM
line415

Thanks Kat. I'm going to start using Almond Breeze (which is what I use instead of rice or soy milk) in my recipes. I don't cook too many desserts, just the banana bread frequently, but if I can find a choc. one that I like and can freeze, I can have my nightly indulgence. (I grew up in a family where we had dessert EVERY NIGHT! so I'm always craving something sweet after my meals, even if it's just a few bites. I know...terrible habit .)

Good point about the dairy choc. vs. soy...although the kit kat isn't bothering me, thank goodness.

--------------------

#304091 - 04/05/07 12:11 PM
K2

Have you tried the Chocolate cake for one recipe? So good! I had it the first time yesterday, and I gotta say, I will be making this regularly..

--------------------
Kat

Cake for one... new
      #304139 - 04/05/07 06:28 PM
line415

Holy cow...could that sound any easier. That's right up my ally if I wind up liking it. It's perfect to keep handy, although I may wind up eating one every night that way! I just read through most of the long thread, and I saw the different amounts and varieties or what people were using, ie., applesauce, syrup, water amounts...How did you make it? And I didn't know that Cool Whip lite was safe?? Awesome if it is! THanks.

--------------------

#304253 - 04/07/07 02:33 PM
cris123

Reged: 04/07/07

Try eating a banana a day and see what happens. I have been doing so for about 2 months and immediately experienced sustained results. I'm even able to tolerate trigger foods much better. I've been "attack-free" with minimal mild systems only ocassionally. Since bananas act as a balancer to the digestive system, it helps prevent BOTH diarrhea and constipation and keeps you from getting into the whole IBS cycle-- at least for me it does.

#304256 - 04/07/07 03:24 PM
arnce

Reged: 05/23/04

Hi--read your diet. I have to tell you broccoli and green beans will kill me and I used to love both. Calcium w/magnesium will cause constipation (per my MD)but we have to have some substitute for milk so go figure!!! Do very small meals have the same effect and don't sit down afterwards but go for a walk around the block and the stomach seems to settle down a bit and expel some of that gas. I so wish I could do the veggies you do, but I just can't. I know I should be on a healthier diet that includes veggies but I don't like that bloating that comes with it.

#304265 - 04/07/07 07:21 PM
cris123

Reged: 04/07/07

Try having a banana a day and see what happens... see my post earlier today to Jordy.

bananas new
      #304320 - 04/09/07 08:22 AM
line415

I'll give it a try. I thought eating a whole one would constipate me but maybe I can try half. I usually only eat them on occassion...not daily. They really help with gas too? Thanks for your input.

--------------------

#304322 - 04/09/07 08:25 AM
line415

Yeah...the green beans are definitely gas producing...always have been, but the broccoli is okay with BEANO and like I said, WELL cooked. But I do think maybe I was doing too much with the veggies. I had some tomato on my turkey sandwich the other day and...there it was...gas. I'm thinking...this is ridiculous...is it the turkey, the tomato? I'm back to keeping track of my foods one at a time to figure it out. It is getting better though so that's progress. THanks.

--------------------

Bananas! new
      #304343 - 04/09/07 11:03 AM
Jordy

They constipate me and cause horrible gas, pain, and bloat. Or am I just blaming them when something else is the cause? I keep trying them...but I really don't think they are good for me. I wish eating bananas helped me as much as you....it would be such a simple thing.

Are you D or C or A?

--------------------

Re: bananas new
      #304514 - 04/10/07 02:26 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I can't eat bananas either they make my c worse and give me a stomach ache! maybe try mixing with a smoothie or something.Feel better soon.
Emmasmom
Ibs-c

Thanks all... new
      #304532 - 04/10/07 04:43 PM
line415

So far so good...cut out the raisins and soy products except for my morning Soyfee. Taking Beano before dinner only now and cutting back a bit on the amount of veggies. I had stopped taking my calcium supplement so I need to start rethinking what I'm going to try next. I think a 2:1 cal/mag ratio. I'm so nervous about getting d though but I'll have to give it a whirl. Everyone's advice truly helped. Thanks.

--------------------

broccoli new
      #305427 - 04/19/07 12:24 PM
Jordy

Maybe you would be okay if you only ate it one day and not 2 consecutive days

Could I have bloat from broccoli 20 hours later? Wouldn't it hit me sooner? I don't know if I should blame the broccoli since it was 20 hours later.

--------------------

Re: broccoli new
      #305455 - 04/19/07 05:49 PM
line415

Oh Jordy, I have no idea! This IBS is crazy. That's a good point that maybe one day would be alright but not the next. I do find that I am okay with riskier IF foods if I only have them every so often. I think the soy was really a big trigger for me. I have really been trying to avoid it and I've been much better. I've also been taking Beano like crazy (3-4 before dinner and sometimes lunch too) and I went off my caltrate for now.

It's so annoying. Just when you think you know what it is, you get gas/bloat out of nowhere and you try to backtrack (yes, like 20 hours) to find the culprit. For me I think it could be a bunch of hours and maybe like dinner the night before but usually my morning bm takes care of that as long as I have one. I once did the barium test where you have to drink the chalky white stuff and they said that my system moves very slowly. You would have never known that at the time since I got d from practically everything I ate.

Hope you can find some relief soon.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1892 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5008

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review