Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Please help...battling gas and bloating new
      #303960 - 04/04/07 09:48 AM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hi "Line 415",
I do know how difficult it is for you to know what to eat! I too cut back on the Acacia although I was only up to 1 1/2 tsp twice a day, cutting back didn't help I still had "C" and the terrible trapped gas and bloat, so I stopped taking it. I was drinking water all of the time too, trips to the bathroom to empty my bladder were numerous, almost as if the liquids were going straight into my bladder, not helping to move things along in my colon. I was so backed up. I was desperate 4-5 days-no BM did not want to take a laxative, so started drinking prune juice with pulp and eating more wheat cereals, finally had several long "D" episodes but it cleared me out along with the bloat and gas, my pants fasten easily again and I don't have to take Beano! I too am used to eating all the veggies you mention and they never gave me gas and bloat like I was having with the Acacia. Now I am back to eating my regular morning Quick Quaker oatmeal but since the severe "C" I now add a little ground flaxseed powder to it, this is a new thing for me so I am adding it very gradually but it is SF & IF with other benefits, so far so good. I sometimes mix the oatmeal with Cream of Rice, cook them together but if my BM's are loose I go heavier on the rice. So I'm going to continue to get my SF from foods, for me it definatly works better. I am also able to eat more of the IF food keeping away from ones that trigger "D" episodes, many fruits can do this to me and though I love them I just stick to the ones that I am fine with. I really thought the Acacia Fiber was the answer for me but I never want to experience the severe "C" the awful pain from gas and bloating that I suffered while on it. The old adage, "different strokes for different folks" rang true for me! My Dr (a woman) told me to follow my own instincts more for I know my own body best, after all, I've battled IBS-D for many years.
Good Luck "Line 415" I hope you find what will work for you soon and you start to feel better.
PS: I'd be happy to send you an unopened bottle of peppermint caps, no charge, if you think you'd like to try them.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks but now what do I eat? new
      #303977 - 04/04/07 12:33 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would try getting most IF from veggies that don't cause too much gas. Also another thing to consider is when you are eating more of the gas-producing foods, which seems to be with your dinner. I find if I have more veggies with lunch I do better with gas/bloat in the evenings then pilling it all on at dinner time.

Gas/bloating is in my opinion one of the hardest things to get rid of. I used to only get gas and bloating when I ate trigger foods. When I started on this diet I ate mostly SF, had no gas and great BMs, but it didn't seem like a healthy diet to continue on forever. Now trying to incorporate more IF is actually helping my BMs even more, but I have also had to deal with gas/bloating. I think this will just take more time to deal with it. I do think that your stomach has to get used to the extra fiber, so try to eat similarily most days and give it time, be patient.

As for the Acacia, I would keep it constant even if you are eating more SF one day than another. Don't worry too much about amounts of fiber in total, just try to get the ratio of SF/IF that works for you. I also suggest trying to eat similar foods each day (don't vary too much day-to-day in the veggies you are eating) so that you can maybe pinpoint what is causing the gas more.

--------------------
Kat

Today was much better.... new
      #304008 - 04/04/07 05:55 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thanks everyone. You have given me food for thought (at least I can eat that! )

Today was much better. Here's what I did:

Last night I did not take my Caltrate.

AM: Soyfee with 1/2 tsp acacia.
Oatmeal with water...NO RAISINS.
Good bm. No gas.

Snack/early lunch: Banana muffin, cantaloupe
No acacia, water

Snack: graham crackers and slice of turkey (no bread...couldn't decide which kind to put it on!), water

Little bit of gas

Snack: 1/2 ww bagel with smart balance light, cantaloupe, 2 grapes (yes, no SF here...bagels from dunkin donuts...funny they didn't give me gas but I think the other place's bagels did???), water

Still felt fine

Dinner: 3 BEANO...leftover noodles and asparagus but waaay less than I ate yesterday, sweet potato No Acacia (first time I ever skipped it with dinner), water

Dessert: Kit Kat ...I don't usually do regular chocolate, but my alternatives for my choc. craving all contained soy (luna bars, tofutti cuties, soy ice cream)...If it turns out that soy is my huge gas culprit, can many of the choc. desserts in the recipes be made with rice or almond milk (preferably almond)?

SOOOO....I feel pretty good right now. A bit bloated but VERY MINIMAL gas...like a normal person would I suppose. I guess you could say it was an extremely successful day. So I'm going to keep a log of all these foods b/c it seems they are manageable. Now to wonder whether only taking acacia in the AM had an influence, or stopping the Caltrate too, or eliminating soy and the raisins. One day/alteration at a time I guess...

Incidentally, can anyone suggest a reason as to why my body can very easily tolerate the Soyfee that I drink daily? It is pure soybeans brewed like coffee (maybe b/c they're broken down?) I have been drinking it since the end of Sept. and it has never seemed to give me gas (at least directly...it would have to be HOURS and HOURS later if it was a culprit)...interesting...but great b/c I can't get by without the stuff as my coffee replacement.

By the way, will digestive enzymes help with gas/bloating like Beano does? Better or less? I have some GNC multi-enzymes that I had tried months ago. Maybe I should try again.

Thank you all!!
(And Genie..thanks for the pepp. caps offer...I may take you up on it if I can't get this gas/bloat under control. I have a feeling that I'll be one of those people who can't "get it down" though b/c I'm horrible with pills )

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Today was much better.... new
      #304009 - 04/04/07 06:08 PM
K2

"Kit Kat ...I don't usually do regular chocolate, but my alternatives for my choc. craving all contained soy (luna bars, tofutti cuties, soy ice cream)...If it turns out that soy is my huge gas culprit, can many of the choc. desserts in the recipes be made with rice or almond milk (preferably almond)?"

I've been using Almond Breeze Original in recipes and haven't noticed any taste/texture problems at all. Works great, and no bloating. I just wanted to make a note that dairy products probably cause more bloating/gas than soy products. My biggest symptom when having dairy/chocolate was bloating, and even 'normal' people get gas/bloating related to milk products. At least with soy products you can take Beano beforehand to prevent the gas.

"Incidentally, can anyone suggest a reason as to why my body can very easily tolerate the Soyfee that I drink daily? "

I'm guessing it's because you've been so consistent with it. The soy is something that obviously isn't upsetting your stomach, and your body seems to deal with any gas produced from it.

--------------------
Kat

#304015 - 04/04/07 07:48 PM
line415

Thanks Kat. I'm going to start using Almond Breeze (which is what I use instead of rice or soy milk) in my recipes. I don't cook too many desserts, just the banana bread frequently, but if I can find a choc. one that I like and can freeze, I can have my nightly indulgence. (I grew up in a family where we had dessert EVERY NIGHT! so I'm always craving something sweet after my meals, even if it's just a few bites. I know...terrible habit .)

Good point about the dairy choc. vs. soy...although the kit kat isn't bothering me, thank goodness.

--------------------

#304091 - 04/05/07 12:11 PM
K2

Have you tried the Chocolate cake for one recipe? So good! I had it the first time yesterday, and I gotta say, I will be making this regularly..

--------------------
Kat

Cake for one... new
      #304139 - 04/05/07 06:28 PM
line415

Holy cow...could that sound any easier. That's right up my ally if I wind up liking it. It's perfect to keep handy, although I may wind up eating one every night that way! I just read through most of the long thread, and I saw the different amounts and varieties or what people were using, ie., applesauce, syrup, water amounts...How did you make it? And I didn't know that Cool Whip lite was safe?? Awesome if it is! THanks.

--------------------

Re: Thanks but now what do I eat? new
      #304253 - 04/07/07 02:33 PM
cris123

Reged: 04/07/07

Try eating a banana a day and see what happens. I have been doing so for about 2 months and immediately experienced sustained results. I'm even able to tolerate trigger foods much better. I've been "attack-free" with minimal mild systems only ocassionally. Since bananas act as a balancer to the digestive system, it helps prevent BOTH diarrhea and constipation and keeps you from getting into the whole IBS cycle-- at least for me it does.

#304256 - 04/07/07 03:24 PM
arnce

Reged: 05/23/04

Hi--read your diet. I have to tell you broccoli and green beans will kill me and I used to love both. Calcium w/magnesium will cause constipation (per my MD)but we have to have some substitute for milk so go figure!!! Do very small meals have the same effect and don't sit down afterwards but go for a walk around the block and the stomach seems to settle down a bit and expel some of that gas. I so wish I could do the veggies you do, but I just can't. I know I should be on a healthier diet that includes veggies but I don't like that bloating that comes with it.

#304265 - 04/07/07 07:21 PM
cris123

Reged: 04/07/07

Try having a banana a day and see what happens... see my post earlier today to Jordy.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review