All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint pill alternative...
      #303889 - 04/03/07 03:41 PM
christie

Reged: 04/16/03

For the past few years, I've taken the peppermint pills and have been able to have somewhat of a life especially going out to dinner and eating foods I wouldn't normally be able to tolerate. Lately, I've had a hard time getting them down and I think they're giving me GERD and or heartburn. Any suggestions on an alternative that works just as well as the pills? Thanks, Christie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint pill alternative... new
      #303958 - 04/04/07 09:44 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I honestly can't think of anything that works as well as peppermint, unless you're willing to get into trying prescription drugs. Sorry.

A thought, though - are the peppermint pills you're taking "enteric"? If not, you might give those a try before giving up on them completely... enteric-coated pills don't dissolve in the stomach (they dissolve in the intestines instead), and may therefore be easier on your system.

#303978 - 04/04/07 12:36 PM
christie

I buy Heather's peppermint pills but I have the hardest time getting them down. One time I drank a bottle of water and it still didn't go all the way down and pretty soon I'm burping up peppermint. The only thing that gets them down the first time is if I drink a Sprite but I'm trying to not drink a lot of carbonated drinks. I know a lot of people like the peppermint tea but I'm not a big tea drinker. I thought about trying the Acacia fiber, have you tried that before and does that do the same thing as the peppermint?

#303987 - 04/04/07 03:11 PM
pucker

Reged: 03/27/07

Fennel Seed Capsules are great for gas/bloating. You can get these at any healthfood store.

#303992 - 04/04/07 03:16 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Have you tried drinking Metromint? It's a peppermint water. Somewhat pricey, but they sell it in HFS. It helps my tummy. How about mint candies, like those "curiously strong" ones? I've found that chewing Extra sugar-free peppermint gum helps me too. That gum doesn't give me any problems, altho it does for some.

#304006 - 04/04/07 05:20 PM
christie

Thx Digby, I've never heard of Metromint but i have tried a peppermint water called Hint at Whole Foods. It's really sweet but I guess it's better than tea.

#304007 - 04/04/07 05:21 PM
christie

I didn't know fennel came in capsule form. Thx, I'll give that a try too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2806 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1312

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review