All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Broccoili - what is it that makes it so distressful to my system
      #303670 - 03/31/07 08:54 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

What is it about broccoli that makes it so distressful to my system - it actually caused me an awful attack by eating it with beano - anyone know? I had stayed away from it for a year and thought beano might help - never again. Debbie IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Broccoili - what is it that makes it so distressful to my system new
      #303674 - 03/31/07 11:17 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Broccoli is just one of those vegetables that tends to be "gassy", along with cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower.

Some people can handle it anyway - others really just can't. Sorry to hear you're one who can't!

Raffinose new
      #303678 - 03/31/07 11:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Broccoli contains a complex carbohydrate call raffinose. This is the same carbohydrate found in beans. If you can tolerate the IF in broccoli then you might try taking Beano before eating it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Broccoili - what is it that makes it so distressful to my system new
      #303711 - 04/01/07 01:51 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The gassiness of broccoli will probably be helped by Beano but it's still Insoluble Fiber and I always think of it as a tough one. If you really want to try it, I'd start small, cook it well, and puree it.

A good way to do this is to take just a few flowerets (no stems), maybe even just a tablespoon to start, cook them well, then blend them into mashed potatoes. The flowerets might be less tough than the stems, cooking and pureeing should help you digest them, and putting them in mashed potatoes should make sure you get lots of Soluble Fiber to cushion the blow. (You could achieve the same effect by blending a little bit of broccoli baby food into mashed potatoes.)

If that goes well, try increasing the amount of broccoli a little at a time. When you get ready to attempt stems, try peeling the stems first just as you would a potato - the outside always seems more fibrous to me.

Do continue to take Beano with broccoli to help with the gas.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 597 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 693

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review