All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Please help! What am I doing wrong?!
      #303419 - 03/28/07 04:55 PM
latrice

Reged: 03/28/07

I am having a really bad flare up and I went and bought the Acacia about 3 days ago. I started on 1/2 a tsp for 2 days and today I did 1 tsp. I increased the amount because the stomach pains are horrible, not to mention the IBS-D. Every time I eat something, it comes right out.In 7 days I've only ate 2 meals(rice and baked sweet potato). I drink the peppermint tea about twice a day. WHEN SHOULD I START SEEING RESULTS???Can I eat anything yet?!I am very weak and I have 3 young children, which I'm having a hard time being functional around them.
I'm so fustrated with the doctors. I've seen 3 so far. The first said I had colitis. The last two has said IBS, even though I'm bleeding rectally.
Please offer any advice!
Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help! What am I doing wrong?! new
      #303436 - 03/28/07 07:15 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Please read the dietary guidlines that are in a link to your left "IBS Diet and Recipes". You need to do the Break The Cycle diet for 2 or 3 days, then start adding things back into your diet. The acacia, you should start at 1/4 teaspoon 2 times a day, and increase it slowly after about a week to 1/2 teaspoon 2 times a day. Continue to increase it until you get to a level that you feel good.

#303449 - 03/28/07 09:19 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

I'm so fustrated with the doctors. I've seen 3 so far. The first said I had colitis. The last two has said IBS, even though I'm bleeding rectally.

Bleeding is a BIG red flag symptom. It could just be that so much D has caused some small tears. But bleeding is NOT a typical IBS symptom. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, given your frustration with doctors, but you need to be ruthless in your search for a competent GI who will work with you. A colonoscopy should be able to determine whether or not it's colitis/Crohn's. In the meantime, try Heather's "Breaking the Cycle" diet.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#303466 - 03/29/07 07:14 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Apparently you didn't buy the colitis diagnosis so, unfortunately, I agree you need to see another doctor. You can look through this old thread and see if there are any good IBS doctors in your area. If not, try posting a new thread and asking if anyone knows of a good doc near you. Rectal bleeding is nothing to ignore.

I'm concerned about what you've been eating. If you've truly eaten only 2 meals in all of the last 7 days that could be part of the problem. With IBS you need to keep food moving through your system. In that case, I'd suggest doing the Break The Cycle Diet for a day or two being sure to nibble, snack, and nosh throughout the day - you want to get your system filled up with Soluble Fiber. At that point, start adding some safe protein and more complex foods as described in the Break The Cycle description.

If what you mean is that you've been eating rice and sweet potatoes every day for 7 days then I'd say you've done the Break The Cycle Diet for too long already - you're only supposed to be on it for 2-3 days. Add in more Soluble Fiber foods and start adding safe protein and more complex foods as described in the Break The Cycle description.

You need to increase your Acacia gradually. A Soluble Fiber Supplement is not a drug where the more you take the better you feel; it's a long-term fix that you have to get your body used to. I'd drop back to 1/2 teaspoon twice a day (or even 1/4 teaspoon twice a day) and do that for 3 days. Then go up by 1/4 teaspoon a day and stay at each increased dose for 3 days. Be sure to get lots of liquid.

You can also use Imodium to try to get your diarrhea under control so you can function better. However - and I can't emphasize this strongly enough - you really need to get an answer on the rectal bleeding and to get all the necessary tests to rule out other conditions. Even if the Imodium stops the diarrhea there may still be an underlying condition that needs to be dealt with. It might in fact be IBS but you can't be sure of that until you get the answers you need.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#303560 - 03/29/07 06:05 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Did a colonoscopy show that you have colitis? I have microscopic colitis AND IBS, but all the colitis medicines did nothing for me. It was this diet and the acacia that finally helped me get under control. As far as eating, Sand is right...keep eating small meals...banana, plain bagels, pretzels...keep something in your stomach to "absorb the water" as I think of it...when you're having terrible d. Feel better and stick with it...it WILL get better...just read all you can to make sure you're following everything correctly. Don't give up...I have two young children too and I know IBS can be debilitating when trying to care for them. It will get better...I promise...just stick around here for help.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#303566 - 03/29/07 06:55 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

My prayers are with you - remember we all go through this - it is not any easy quick fix - from what I know so far on my journey it is good to do the break the cycle diet on this site - basically it is SF - white pasta, oatmeal, white potatoe, white rice, i believe banana is on there - dont go hungry or you will feel faint (I made that mistake one time - this past week when I did it I did add in some ground hemp seeds to my cooked oatmeal as I needed the protein) - you will find it on the site with good explanation on what to do - drinking water, fennel or peppermint tea, taking acacia -
Even after the Break the Cycle if has taken me days and days to get back to somewhat of a feeling of I can get through this - then start adding in very slowly - I tend to almost go one or two new things a day - now that I know what is totally safe for me I can be a bit less nervous - for example - I know I am okay with a baked potatoe with skin so when I go off the break the cycle I will add in a baked potatoe (SF) with the skin on (IF) - I will have that with cooked quiona (SF0 and avacado (SF) - my oatmeal might have blueberries in it - start out slowly bit by bit - the break the cycle is explained well on the site by Heather. My prayers are with you and your family - you will get your strength back - Debbie IBS-C

#303567 - 03/29/07 06:57 PM
feelinggood

It takes time and trial and error - not everything that is safe is safe for everyone - sweet potatoe reacts with me because of the fructose or something - it takes time to learn what works and what doesn't. Debbie IBS-C

#303568 - 03/29/07 06:59 PM
feelinggood

Also - keep reading over this website, recipes, message boards, etc. You will learn alot but it takes time. Debbie IBS-C
Everyone is also very helpful - thank goodness!

#303581 - 03/29/07 08:03 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Yikes! I missed that when I first read the post. Bleeding definately not a symptom of IBS. Find a different GI doc and try to get more tests done. Is it possible you have hemmoroids, or a little bleeding from going too much?

#303608 - 03/30/07 08:35 AM
latrice

Thanks so much for your reply. I tried eating pretzels and by the end of the day, I was in the bathroom (even all night). It hurt soooo bad.I will try white pasta,white rice and banana this time. For two days,is it? Thanks again for your response and please, please keep me in your prayers!

#303609 - 03/30/07 08:45 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would not be satisfied with the IBS diagnosis. IBS does not cause bleeding, so you need to figure out what else could be causing this. Keep demanding that your doctors do more tests. Specifically, a colonoscopy will help them see what's going on. Have you had a colonoscopy?

In the meantime you might be able to find some relief by using Imodium AD. It should help reduce the D and pain/cramping. Continue on the diet of mostly SF as well, and keep drinking lots of peppermint tea.

--------------------
Kat

#303612 - 03/30/07 08:58 AM
latrice

Thanks for your reply.I've actually eaten 2 meals and a bag of pretzels in the last 25 days. Even when I drink water, it begins to hurt! So you said to do 1/2 tsp for 3 days and then add 1/4 tsp twice a day? Each time I add to the dosage, for how many days should I take it?
I tried Imodium Ad. I actually went through a box and a half of it. Also, Pepto Bismol.
And I've had the bleeding now for about 5 years, off and on, but more ON than off.At the last doctors visit I had, the doctor put me on steroids first and then scheduled the colonoscopy weeks later. So when we finally did the colonoscopy, he didn't see any bleeding. He was right out of school, but at the time I didn't know it.
I will definitly try eating something again and I made another appointment for next week. Thanks again for the response.

#303614 - 03/30/07 09:04 AM
latrice

I'm not satified with the IBS diagnosis at all. Everywhere I've read and researched, its said that bleeding is not a symptom of IBS. I've actually had 2 colonoscopies. The first diagnosed me with colitis. The 2nd, which was the last doctor I went to, gave me steriods weeks before doing the colonoscopy. So when we finally did it, he did not see any bleeding. He was straight out of school, and I did not know that at the time. So I've set an appointment for next week. I will definitely demand more tests this time. I've had this bleeding for about 5 years on and off.Any other advise, PLEASE let me know. Thanks

#303615 - 03/30/07 09:09 AM
latrice

Thanks, I will definitely be more ruthless. Any other advice ,Please let me know! Thanks

#303616 - 03/30/07 09:11 AM
latrice

I've been bleeding approx. 5 years on and off. Hemmoroids was ruled out with the last colonoscopy. I have a doctors app.next week and I will definitely be demanding more tests.
Thanks alot.

#303619 - 03/30/07 09:25 AM
latrice

I've had two colonoscopies. The first diagnosed me with colitis and the 2nd was IBS. With the 2nd colonoscopy, the doctor gave me steriods weeks before the colonoscopy, so when we finally did it, he did not see any bleeding. Of course shortly after that visit, the bleeding came back.So I went back to the same office and saw another doctor and he basically read to me what the first doctor diagnosed and told me that sometimes the brain sends messages to your body as if you're in pain, but you're really not. To say the least, I was HOT at him and all doctors in general, which is why it has taken so long for me to see another doctor.
I will try eating small meals. It does make sense that I need something in my stomach to absorb the water.
I will try not to give, but this has been the absolute WORST flare up ever, ever, ever!
Thanks so much for your comments. Any other advice PLEASE let me know!

#303625 - 03/30/07 12:58 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I started with 1/4 teaspoon once a day then went up by 1/4 teaspoon per day. I stayed at each dose for at least 3 days.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#303648 - 03/30/07 06:16 PM
feelinggood

You are in my prayers - yes, try plain white pasta, plain white rice, plain white potatoe, plain french bread is a good one too - if you can take peppermint tea - try it - water - bleeding is not part of IBS - what did they say to do when they diagnosied you with colitis -why are they saying IBS now? Debbie IBS-C

#303650 - 03/30/07 06:18 PM
feelinggood

P.S. try eating little bits of pasta or french bread or plain mased potatoe at time - not alot at once and try eating at intervals so that your stomach is not overloaded but not really getting totally empty.

#303653 - 03/30/07 06:23 PM
feelinggood

Please stay strong and know that others understand - I have just been battling a flare up myself - barely able to eat - know that I understand - yes, your bowel will need something i in there - from the way I understand it the SF helps to stop the spasms and starts it to calm down - if nothing is in there than the spasms have more of a chance to start - there is nothing for the bowel to grab on to - better explanantion by Heather on the site - prayers, Debbie IBS-C

#303697 - 04/01/07 07:39 AM
latrice

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I don't know but one person in my area that has this, so it is so comforting to know that there are others out there like me.
Thanks again

#303698 - 04/01/07 07:46 AM
latrice

I will definitely try small amounts of those foods. I think they diagnosed me with IBS since the bleeding had stopped(for the time being).The doctor gave me lots of medicines before the colonoscopy, so that when we finally did the colonscopy, there was no bleeding at the time. Of course the bleeding came back a few weeks after I seen the doctor. I was just so fustrated with him, that I did not go back to him.
Thanks for all your tips and advice. This has been the best advice I've received. It helps to know that others have and are going through the same as I.

#303727 - 04/01/07 08:45 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

It sounds like your system has really taken a beating. I'm sorry you are feeling so awful and that even the pretzels gave you a hard time. Stick with the small meals/snacks that are SF along with the acacia...start 1/4 tsp/daily, then 1/4 tsp twice daily, then increase every 3-4 days by 1/4 teaspoon if it is going well. The acacia should really help with the d. Even though colitis is much more severe than IBS, I would think that this diet (and I can say from experience with microscopic colitis) has to give you at least some relief. Are you taking asacol or any other meds for the colitis? I took it and it didn't really help me, but apparently it helps some people with the inflammation in their intestines. For all of us, it seems that PREVENTION is our goal from an attack...I know myself that once an attack is imminent or in action, it's all over and no matter what I do, it will knock me out for the whole day in pain. Hang in there.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 562 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4322

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review