All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is beef a no-no because it's harder to digest or because of fat content?
      #303335 - 03/27/07 08:27 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

Hi,
Is beef considered a trigger food because of it's fat content or because its harder to digest? Also I heard that beef isn't that hard for the body to digest and just wondered if anybody has heard the same

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Both new
      #303337 - 03/27/07 10:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It IS harder to digest... at least I've always found it to be so, and I think a lot of us do. The fat content of a lot of cuts doesn't help, but even lean beef can be problematic.

Not sure new
      #303371 - 03/28/07 09:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am not sure anyone knows for sure if the problem is just the fat in beef and/or something else in beef that is a trigger too. However, a meal high in beef or any aninal protein can slow down the intestinal tract. This does not mean it is difficult to digest just as fat which stimulates the gut cannot be considered difficult to digest either because both can be digested nearly completely. On the other hand things like nuts and IF can pass through the bowel undigested and can be considered difficult to digest.

If you do eat beef it might be best to have small portions of very lean cuts and eat lots of fibre with it. Some IBS suffers find they can eat bison (buffalo) meat which is red but quite low fat.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Is beef a no-no because it's harder to digest or because of fat content? new
      #303381 - 03/28/07 10:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've never heard that beef is particularly easy to digest. I always think of it as hard to digest but that's just my feeling.

Here's what Heather says:

Quote:

Meat, dairy products, and egg yolks are particularly dangerous for all aspects of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In some people their high fat content causes violent, rapid colon spasms and triggers diarrhea. Alternately, for others their heavy animal proteins, complete lack of fiber, and very low water content can lead to drastically slowed colon contractions (or one prolonged colon spasm, which is extremely painful) and severe constipation. No matter what Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms you're prone to, these three categories of foods pose high risks and are really best eliminated from your diet altogether.

From web page

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Is beef a no-no because it's harder to digest or because of fat content? new
      #303390 - 03/28/07 01:28 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Recently, I haven't had trouble with fat, but red meat is still a no-no for me. I find that it just sits in my stomach and gives me pain with bloating. I think that it's both, though: fat and hard to digest.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

hard to digest new
      #303421 - 03/28/07 05:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is a no no because it clogs up the GI tract. Beef is well known for causing C. Have you seen the King of the Hill when he gets 'beef filled colon'? I sometimes will allow myself the leanest cuts of beef in a low fat meal if I have been stable. I had planned on a salad with beef this week but since I have been so bad I changed to chicken stir fry. When I do have beef I generally eat flank steak or I might occasionally have buffalo which is lower in fat. But remembering that too much beef will sit in the gut and irritate it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 853 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1200

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review