All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is coconut milk safe?
      #303334 - 03/27/07 08:13 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

Iknow that coconut milk is higher in fat but I heard that it is also healing to the intestinal tract. Is it safe on this diet?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Use with caution new
      #303338 - 03/27/07 10:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've never heard of it being healing - if that were the case, wouldn't years of eating macaroon cookies have healed me? LOL

Anyway, healing or not, the fat content is quite high, and fats are definitely one of the worst IBS triggers. I'd pick something else to heal your digestive tract with.

Re: Is coconut milk safe? new
      #303680 - 03/31/07 12:25 PM
ajbrock415

Reged: 11/03/06

I can't go near coconut milk. The last time I tried it, I had a severe IBS-D attack. I don't recommend it.

Re: Is coconut milk safe? new
      #303710 - 04/01/07 01:44 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Even the "light" coconut milk gives me D (I love curry, used to make it at home a lot).

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

I eat it all the time new
      #303716 - 04/01/07 04:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I use lite coconut milk and it contains less fat than many other things. 1 serving (1/4c) has 3 or 4 grams of fat depending on brand. So it works nicely for dairy free mashed sweet potatoes. I also use it in sauces and to cook rice *if the rest of the meal is very low in fat*! One must still figure out the fat content and keep it below 30%. If you are making stir fry for instance with cooking spray and chicken breast the meal is nearly FF already so that might be a time that I add 1/2c lite coconut milk into my rice water. Or I make a shrimp curry that is delicious, with roasted chili paste in a nonstick pan, then I add 1/4-1/2 cup lite coconut milk and stir, then a bunch of asparagus and cook til not quite tender. Then I add raw shrimp and cook til done, sprinkling on lime juice, scallions and Thai basil or cilantro. It is fabulous!!! And so for 2 people that has about 4-5 grams of fat per serving. Not bad.
I also use lite coconut milk in baking. I make cakes with it and also frosting and add it to muffins instead of buttermilk. I am very sensitive to fat and could never get coconut milk at a restaurant but I have no problem if I use it carefully at home.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Use with caution...most defininately new
      #303719 - 04/01/07 05:22 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

I can't go near it or coconut...I had a REALLY bad attack last year due to it, i was looking at buying these special ginger cookies today and looked at the ingredients and it said coconut milk so I was like nope not for me

--------------------
Gretchen

Re: Use with caution...regarding macaroons... new
      #303725 - 04/01/07 08:32 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Funny you say that about the macaroons b/c a few years ago my uncle cut out an article for me that claimed macaroons in large quantities were good for people with digestive problems. I gave it a try for a while but at the time there was no rhyme or reason to my IBS so I never saw it working or making things worse either. Does anyone use coconut milk in smoothies? I just got a book of smoothie recipes where some "pina colada-type" smoothies have coconut milk as an ingredient.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

If you want the coconut flavor... new
      #303742 - 04/02/07 07:59 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

...try combining coconut extract with some plain soy/rice milk. I just bought some over the weekend to make the pina colada zucchini bread in the Recipe Index. YUMMM!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: I eat it all the time new
      #303758 - 04/02/07 09:06 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

LOL, Little Minnie, I was eating at least double the portion size you specified. One day when I'm feeling brave I'll have to try again and watch my portion size. I miss my curry.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

in defense of coconut new
      #303828 - 04/02/07 07:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I had a really bad attack from hash browns this winter, so does that mean I should avoid all hashbrowns? No I have to make sure they are made safely. Eating a lot of guacamole will also cause D but avoiding avocadoes is not the answer.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1764 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review