All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gluten free breakfast ideas
      #303105 - 03/25/07 08:13 PM
youngpatient

Reged: 03/25/07

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for gluten free breakfasts. I also have interstitial cystitis, so it's hard for my bladder to tolerate citrus, soy, vinegar, and tomatoes. Also, I'm trying not to have any added sugar, yeast, or wheat. I'm predominantly IBS-C. So far what I've come up with is:

gluten free toast
pears
apples
berries
eggs

If anyone has any other suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten free breakfast ideas new
      #303173 - 03/26/07 11:59 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Arrowhead Mills makes gluten-free products, including Spelt flake cereal. You can buy them in HF stores (like Whole Foods.) There might be sugar in them, however.

Can you eat rice cereal (like cream of rice or rice chex)? How about corn cereal? I believe that Barbara's makes some gluten-free cereals. You can buy them at Trader Joe's or HF stores.

You could make a breakfast burrito made with corn tortillas, beans (if you can tolerate) or egg whites, and cooked veges like mushrooms. Or a scarmble with egg whites and cooked veges, and a side of country fried potatoes.

To make country fried potatoes I make a small slice around fingerling potatoes (can also use Yukon Gold or Red potatoes) and microwave them in a paper towel for 2 - 3 minutes until they're no longer hard (but not too soft). Then I cut them into cubes, spray a bit of olive oil in a pan and cook them quickly. (Can add onions or garlic if you can tolerate that). Yummy!

There are also some excellent gluten-free cookbooks in bookstores now. Good luck!

#303212 - 03/26/07 05:45 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Spelt is NOT gluten-free! Spelt is a variety of wheat.

#303213 - 03/26/07 05:49 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Grits are great and seem to be tolerated by many people with IBS. I also like leftover rice, reheated with a little vanilla soy milk and some cinnamon. Many brands of GF frozen waffles are IBS friendly. At your local healthfood store, you can get GF versions of puffed rice or corn flakes.

#303249 - 03/27/07 08:03 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hi...I had a recipe from the Canyon Ranch Cookbook which is great for breakfast sausage patties. You take lean,ground chicken breast, diced apple, fresh/dry sage, maple syrup (check ingredient list for wheat) a little salt and pepper. Mix all togther and make a patty...lightly pan fry in a little canola oil (or grill). I would make a batch and freeze some. You could have one of those with some eggs whites...would be hearty and pretty good!!

#303279 - 03/27/07 10:05 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Smoked fish is one of my favorite IBS-safe breakfasts. Obviously, a (wheat) bagel wouldn't be an option - maybe with gluten-free bread or with rice? The latter might make a nice Japanese-style breakfast with a bit of pickled ginger and some fruit.

--AC

Thx for the correction new
      #303284 - 03/27/07 10:46 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

You're right about Spelt being a cousin of wheat. Amaranth is GF. However, I'm not sure if the Amaranth cereal that Arrowhead Mills makes is GF. You can search their site and see the GF products they produce.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review