All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
You call this a meal? I've had appetizers bigger than this.
      #302976 - 03/23/07 12:51 PM
snoopy101

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Michiana USA

Hello everyone,
I haven't been here in a long time. My husband went into the doctor and doc listened to all the gory details that my husband had to share and concluded yep he more than likely has IBS.

So dh gave me a call on his trip back and says, "So what can I have for lunch?" I pulled up the cheat sheet and read off a few suggestions. My husband was a bit frustrated at the options (hard to grab a fast lunch now ). He stopped by Subway to grab "a healthy looking lunch" I told him no red meat and he is avoiding spicey foods.
He picked up his "crumb" (aka 6" sandwich) and ate it up along with some fruit and water.

This afternoon he gives me a call and says, "Get on those message boards cause I am starving."

So here I am.

The "suggested serving size" is often too small for everyone except the little kids. I usually will make an 8-10 serving meal for our family of 7.

I have made a few IBS meals in the past, but I have a couple of problems. One is that about an hour after the meal, we are all hungry The other is that you can only eat so much of the dish before you get bored of it.

(The third is the prep time, but I can make a few sacrifices to ya know )

So my husband would like to know if there are any other "big eaters" out there and what they suggest.

Thanks,
Karen

--------------------
Wife to a teriffic husband. Mother to 6 awesome kids.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: You call this a meal? I've had appetizers bigger than this. new
      #302977 - 03/23/07 12:59 PM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

It can take some getting used to to reduce your fat intake. However, it's also easier on the system not to have too much at one sitting. He can eat lots of snacks (in fact I find that if I pretty much eat all day long, I feel a lot better, rather than 3 meals). Have you checked the recipe index? There are tons of great recipes, including some that might be more satisfying (like turkey meatloaf for example). Check it out!

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

I initially had the same problem. new
      #302985 - 03/23/07 02:08 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I had to start eating more frequently. I don' t have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's more like breakfast, brunch, snack, lunch, supper, dinner, snack before bed so I don't wake up hungry in the night. I eat very frequently. The other thing I had to figure out was how to get protein in my meals. I get hungry much faster when I don't get in some good protein.

At Subway, I always get the 12" subs, the 6" subs just don't cut it for me.

Quote:

The other is that you can only eat so much of the dish before you get bored of it.

I think that some people look at Heather's diet and restrict themselves only to the recipes in her books or here on the boards. I hardly ever use recipes of Heather's or the ones I find on the boards anymore. I decide what I want without consideration of IBS and then figure out how to modify it.

Yes, prep time can be a chore sometimes, but well worth it when it works.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Eating often and GET TESTED new
      #303029 - 03/24/07 10:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with the other posters: as you eat less fat, it takes more food volume to get the same number of calories but overeating is tough on us IBSers. So eat more often and be sure to get protein. For example, your husband could get 2 6-inch Subway sandwiches and eat one for lunch and the other at the point in the afternoon when he's starving.

And please, please be sure his doctor does the necessary tests to rule out other conditions. It is likely that what he has is IBS but when someone develops digestive tract problems the other culprits need to be ruled out. If your husband is like mine it might take some serious nagging to get him to do stuff like a colonoscopy, but it's really, really, really important.

More generally (for everyone on the Boards): I'm going to be really boring and repetitive about this for a while because the wife of a good friend of my husband's was just diagnosed with colon cancer. She's in her early 50s and went to the doctor because she had what felt like terrible gas and indigestion. Her prognosis is excellent but it's still a scary, scary thing. So if you're over 50 or your IBS symptoms have just started or your symptoms have changed recently or you have a family history of colon cancer, please get screened. My husband just got the info on doing a colonoscopy and the way our doctor does it now it's only about 24 hours without solid food and the liquids you can have include yogurt and ice cream (non-dairy for us IBSers, of course). The most common form of colon cancer can be caught in its pre-cancerous state so GET TESTED.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Eating often and GET TESTED new
      #303085 - 03/25/07 10:50 AM
snoopy101

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Michiana USA

Sand & others,

Several years back when all this stuff really surfaced (although he has been battling it since atleast his teen years) dh went and got tested from start to finish on the GI tract and they found nothing so gave him a script for "the purple pill" and some pain killers.

He has been in and out of doctors offices (depending on the severity of the pain) and they all tell him that he has a sour stomach, or a touch of the flu

This doctor did run a few test on dh at this past visit.
We are happy to finally have a doctor that is taking the time to listen to dh and not just nod his/her head while writing up a script for an antacid.

This doctor explained throughly to dh just what was going on with his guts and why they act and respond they way they do.
Dh is going back to see him in a few weeks with a journal in hand.

--------------------
Wife to a teriffic husband. Mother to 6 awesome kids.

Re: You call this a meal? I've had appetizers bigger than this. new
      #303206 - 03/26/07 05:13 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Love your subject line - I eat very small meals 5 or 6 times a day. Any you being a mom will understand when I say I eat less at a sitting than your average toddler. I just eat more often. I keep my fat intake to 25 - 30 grams max per day too. It is hard, and it is a struggle, but if you have been properly diagnosed with IBS and you are able to get stable, you will find (or your husband will find) that the effort is worth the freedom from symptoms. Tell him to pack snacks if he can take them to work. An entire drawer of my filing cabinet is loaded with peppermint tea, honey, graham crackers, rice cookies, and other safe snacks. Plus I take breakfast, lunch and a snack with me everyday. My bosses laugh because it seems I'm always eating. But I'm worse if I don't eat or I over eat. Then it is automatic D and misery.

Make sure your DH is properly diagnosed. In the meantime, adjusting to the diet will take time and perseverence. It took me YEARS!

Best of luck,

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3897

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review