All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Was it the olive oil??
      #302717 - 03/21/07 08:44 AM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

Made a really great meat last night. Pasta (no egg!) and shrimp tossed in soy sauce. I'm doing Weight Watchers points along with Heather's diet and I needed some extra points with dinner. I added a tablespoon of olive oil to my pasta! What was I thinking. I was MISERABLE all night. Was it the olive oil that made me sick? I also ate two (literally TWO) bites of my nieces mac and cheese (the kind from a box). Would two bites have done it - or - was it the oil? I was so proud of myself for the healthy meal!!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Was it the olive oil?? new
      #302719 - 03/21/07 08:57 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Wendy:

I can tell you my experience is that it seems that ANY amount of ANYTHING that is a NO-NO for me will set me off. I have ate veggies that have been grilled and have olive oil on them and been fine, actually one of the only ways I can eat my SF is grilled veggies, very soft. But eat one bite of chocolate and I hurt for days. So I just leave it alone. Of course, I am making the assumption that the pain is from the food and not something else. With this stuff who knows what causes it.

#302722 - 03/21/07 10:07 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

It could have been either one, or the combination. You'll just have to keep an eye out and notice your reaction to smaller amounts of olive oil.

Conversely, if you're under a lot of stress or not getting enough exercise or sleep, anything could set you off. So make sure you're taking care of yourself outside of your diet as well!

--AC (nursing a small stress-related attack right now )

Hmmm .... new
      #302757 - 03/21/07 02:49 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It may have been the saturated fat in two bites of mac and cheese. Also, there may have been more fat in those two bites than in the whole bowl of pasta with a tbsp olive oil.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#303714 - 04/01/07 02:11 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

If I ate 1 Tbsp. of something with cheese in it, I would have D from it. However, olive oil is something I can usually push the limit on without bad results. Keep in mind 1 Tbsp. olive oil = 14 grams of fat.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#303740 - 04/02/07 07:18 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hi - I am not sure what your symptoms are but I know that what you had would kill me. Probably because I eat like that all the time and never learn my lesson!!

Pasta kills me - usually because I eat way too much. But have you considered how sodium bothers you? Just a guess - I am by no means an expert. But I find when I have a lot of salt - which would be in your soy sauce and the mac and cheese it really bothers my stomach (gas, bloating, constipation).

I think if you substituted white rice for pasta and included a veggie you know you can eat you would do better. Also, maybe take a peppermint capsule before you eat?

I love, love, love pasta but I cannot control how much I eat. I am terrible! But I would say it is probably the #1 bad food (for me) that I can't give up! I find when I have a balanced meal - a lean protein like fish or chicken, white rice and a veggie (all normal portions) I do really well.

#303778 - 04/02/07 11:59 AM
Strixowl

Reged: 05/26/06

My bet is the cheese. Cheese kills me. Olive oil has always been good to me. :-)

#303836 - 04/02/07 09:20 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I would say it was probably the mac & cheese (it's FULL of triggers), even in small amounts, and possibly overdoing the oil a little (although that seems a less likely culprit).

Are you normally stable or still trying to stabilize? If you are still trying to stabilize, even the smallest cheat can set you off. I have been stable for almost a year now, but if I ate a few bites of regular mac & cheese, it would most likely still upset my stomach at least a little.

I eat pasta with soy sauce all the time. It's one of my staples. As long as you're not overdoing it with a TON of sauce, you should be fine. I'd also recommend trying tamari sauce (Japanese style soy sauce). It's usually naturally brewed and seems to be a little more "natural" and easier to digest with fewer strange ingredients and no HFCS (found in a few brands of regular soy). It has a slightly different flavor, but it's delicious!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review