All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
How many of us have panic disorder or anxiety attacks?
      #302177 - 03/13/07 09:42 AM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

I was just wondering if these issues are a problem currently or have been in your life. I have read at other websites re IBS that many of the posters have problems along these lines including agoraphobia and social phobias.

I have spent decades battling agoraphobia at the worst and panic attacks to a lesser degree. I have always had a tendency to be nervous even as a child when my stomach was easily upset either with school, carsickness, even spending a sleep over at a friend's house.
Does any of this sound familiar to you?
Virag:)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many of us have panic disorder or anxiety attacks? new
      #302181 - 03/13/07 11:13 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

TOTALLY me. I was always a nervous child too and I remember always having a bm before a big event, but that was it...at least I would go once and then once I got involved it was over. I'm sure this doesn't help the IBS anxiety now, but I figure mine was more triggered by a traumatic accident (bm) that I had once. It made me nervous about it happening again ever since. I'm taking an SSRI for my anxiety and I am so glad that I made the decision to start it. After getting advice from people here and my family, I decided I wanted to "live" and my IBS was preventing me from doing that. I attribute the success that I am having right now to a collective group of things I have been doing: taking the SSRI, adjusting my diet (esp. giving up coffee), taking acacia, doing the hypno. (almost done), and sometimes doing yoga. IBS is tough so I think you have to come at it from all angles!!! You are certainly not alone in your fear. Lots of posters struggle with social situations, etc. I hope you can find a way to get some control over the IBS. It is still a big part of my life ( as I am still working on different things with my diet) but not nearly as debilitating as it had been.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Very familiar! new
      #302182 - 03/13/07 11:16 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Even as a kid, I was nervous and twitchy. A couple years back, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. I'm also emetophobic and have a mild case of OCD. I was put on Lexapro for anxiety, 20mg daily, and I swear, it's been a MIRACLE. It improved my IBS symptoms as well.

If you have anxiety problems - or other similar issues, such as depression or extreme stress - it's really important to address those issues, both for your own sanity and for the sake of your guts. I don't know too many people who have had problems like that and still managed to get/stay stable IBS-wise. It doesn't even necessarily have to be medication - some people respond well to therapy/hypno.

Re: Very familiar! new
      #302183 - 03/13/07 11:21 AM
virag

I am probably alone in this but I asked about if other's here have these issues and similiar because I wonder if there is a stronger connection. And what about genetics? My mother had trouble from her 40's until she passed at 91 with colitis. I have so many memories as a child being hurried out of the bathroom because she just had to get in due to a sudden diarrhea attack.

I know it's just a theory that I am presenting but it does make a person wonder...Virag

#302184 - 03/13/07 11:27 AM
virag

I have been on Valium now on and off for decades. There is no predicting when I am going to have an panic episode but when I do, generally it means the anxiety levels have risen and it's time to get the pills out. I have gone months, even a few years w/o needing more then one every now and then. But during the rough periods, I might be on them for months. They are 2mg. and one or two a day is more then enough to get me 'grounded' until I sense that I can slowly get off of them again. During the anxiety time, my stomach is a mess.
I meditate and have for years with a good success using guided imagery CD's and headset to stop distracting noises.
However I think once our brains have fixated on the episodes, they get imprinted and we don't forget them.
Virag

Re: Nope not me.. new
      #302185 - 03/13/07 11:28 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Just wanted to give the other-side's perspective. I don't have anxiety issues or panic attacks. As a child I was shy (and still am) but this never seemed connected to my bathroom habits. When my IBS has been at its worse I've had some anxiety about going to eat at restaurants or friend's houses but I think that was more caused by the IBS. Sometimes if I was having an attack and wasn't near a washroom I'd feel a bit panicky but again, I felt this was normal.

So while there is a strong connection for some people with anxiety and their IBS, for some there isn't. My IBS does get worse somewhat during stressful times (exams with school) but I don't think stress is a cause of my IBS.

I do get easily carsick though! LOL, my whole life.. I take Gravol to deal with that. I've never had IBS symptoms from motion sickness though.

--------------------
Kat

#302198 - 03/13/07 02:33 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Just walking into a restaurant used to give me such anxiety, that I'd have an IBS attack before I even ate anything! I also suffer from depression, for which I take 225 mg of Effexor every day. The hypno definitely helped with the anxiety! And I think the Effexor has helped me to "chill out" in general. Although I'm currently going through a bit of a depression relapse...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#302199 - 03/13/07 02:47 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I get nervous easily and I'm very shy around people I don't know. I usually get butterflies in my stomach, but it never gets too bad. I don't know, but I think I suffer from a mild case of depression. My dad had a terrible case of it.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#302200 - 03/13/07 02:52 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I believe that IBS (and other digestive conditions) is passed on, because almost all of the women in my family have a case of it (and even two of the men). I found out about it from my aunt when I began having problems. Apparently, though, I have the most severe. I'M the one that is giving advice to her now, but vice versa!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#302210 - 03/13/07 04:22 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Definitely genetic, to some degree. My mom and brother have both suffered from it. My mom's got better since entering menopause, but she suffered a lot in her 20s. My little brother had LOTS of problems with it in grade school. But they both tended towards D, whereas I'm a C.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#302225 - 03/13/07 06:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't know if you've explored the IBS Research Library here on the site much, but it's a whole section of scientific articles related to many aspects of IBS, including the mind-gut connection, and you might find some of that helpful.

I'm pretty sure they haven't proven a genetic connection, but I'm convinced there is one. My father, who recently passed away (cancer), suffered from digestive problems most of his life - IBS, diverticulitis, ulcers. His mother had problems as well, as does his brother.

#302229 - 03/13/07 06:47 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I was diagnosed with social phobia and anxiety disorder with specific triggers (bridges, airplanes). At times I have used medications, but currently I'm off meds. While I didn't have panic attacks because of my IBS, like I've read about, but my panic attacks always make me have gas or some times even trigger D.

#302233 - 03/13/07 07:45 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

My IBS just this week started acting up after a year. It is due to stress my doctor said. I also, had the tendency since I was as in my late teens, that whenever I got nervous, my my stomach would act up. I never had anxiety until late last year. Last week after having an arguement with my husband, it brought on an anxiety attack, which then lead to a major IBS attack (for two days no less) after a year of nothing and being stable. I went to my doctor on Thursday and he told me that my IBS was triggered by stress. My doctor gave me Xanax for stress (that I will only take when needed) and Librax also when needeed, when my stomach acts up. I wound up being out of work for three days . I was afraid to leave the house, because I had been in the BR all day for two days. I am afraid of this happening again at work, if I get stressed. But in the meantime, I have the medication which I am told helps. You might want to speak to your doctor and see about medication also. I was told by my doctor that this is very common with women.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#302234 - 03/13/07 07:48 PM
Sweetd

My mother has IBS, my grandmother and now my niece and I have it. I believe it is passed on as well.

--------------------

Re: Nope not me.. new
      #302235 - 03/13/07 08:09 PM
karen42

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Atlanta area

Yup, add me to the list of those with panic disorder, with some agoraphobia in the past, and ongoing anxiety. In fact I've been on Paxil which my Dr thought might be contributing to my intestinal problems, and he wants to try to take me off to see if this will help cramping and bloating. I have always carried my stress and anxiety in my stomach--when I pay attention to it, I notice my stomach is tense.

#302242 - 03/13/07 08:45 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

I've had panic atacks since the same time I was diagnosed IBS about the age of 14 or 15. The panic attacks gave way in my 30's to generalized anxiety disorder. I can never relax and am always worried. I take 3mg clonazepam (klonepin)a day. I took xanax for years.

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

#302253 - 03/14/07 05:42 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Virag:
About 12 or 13 years ago I had a bout of clinical depression which I started taking medication and theraphy for. I got through that Then about four or five years ago I started getting anxiety that progressed to panic attacks. It was really bad but I fought through it and with the help of medication and therapy got through it. I honestly think that I initernalized my anxiety and it shows in my stomach. I take Lexapro daily along with Xanax that lately I have had to take daily.

Re: Panic disorder and IBS.. gulping air and trying to take a deep breath? new
      #302254 - 03/14/07 06:29 AM
virag

It's just as I thought when posting the topic. So many here have issues with panic disorder and panic/anxiety attacks. Anxiety is pretty much at home with everyone these days but proceeding then onto panic and anxiety attacks indicates that we do in fact "internalize our anxiety". Needing meds to control(I do)them or least attempt to live with it, speaks volunmnes.

I have a tendency to gulp air or do because often I can't seem to get a full breath. So I do it over and over. When I am very anxious sometimes this process will lead to hyperventilating. This is something that leads to trapped air and bloating. Not the hyperventilating but even the over gulping.

How many times in a day do you notice you are holding your muscles tight? especially tummy muscles. I am convinced that by internalizing our chronic anxiety, out stomachs take the brunt of that.
It's just my theory and reading all of your replies certainly goes a long to convince me too.
Thanks for your replies...Virag

Wendy.... new
      #302256 - 03/14/07 06:41 AM
Sweetd

When you took the Xanax and clonazepam everyday did your doctor say that was alright? I have been worrying pretty much everyday about money and I also can't relax lately due to it. I would like to stay on something everyday, instead of as needed like my doctor prescribed it. Especially Xanax, b/c its easy on my stomach. Did you have any side effects after taking it for so long? Did it loose its effectiveness? I've heard that can happen with Xanax. I am just curious for myself. Thanks !

--------------------

Re: Wendy.... new
      #302257 - 03/14/07 07:03 AM
WendySmiling

I didn't take them at the same time. I used to take xanax and then my Dr. switched me to clonazepam which is a cousin to xanax. He switched because it lasts a little longer(I think 6 hours and xanax lasts 4).

I take it on a regular schedule morning, noon, and night. If you stop it suddenly you can end up in the hospital. One would need to wean off the med per Dr. instructions if you decided to stop it.

They didn't lose their effectiveness, but depending on my anxiety level I take .5 mg or 1mg tablets.
I started out taking xanax "as needed", but ended up needing it on a rugular basis long term (probably for life) as anxiety disorder runs in my family. It's a chemical imbalance. I consider taking the med like taking diabetes medication, I just need it to live a better life. But that's just me, everyone is different.

Quote:

When you took the Xanax and clonazepam everyday did your doctor say that was alright? I have been worrying pretty much everyday about money and I also can't relax lately due to it. I would like to stay on something everyday, instead of as needed like my doctor prescribed it. Especially Xanax, b/c its easy on my stomach. Did you have any side effects after taking it for so long? Did it loose its effectiveness? I've heard that can happen with Xanax. I am just curious for myself. Thanks !

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

#302258 - 03/14/07 07:12 AM
Sweetd

Thanks Wendy for your advice! I am taking Xanax as I said, on an as needed basis .25 mg. I think I need it to last about 8 hours every day. I will speak to my doctor and see about clonazepam possibly and see if he can discuss it with me too. Thanks!

--------------------

#302271 - 03/14/07 12:02 PM
karen42

Working in the mental health field, and watching people detox off benzo's (xanax, klonopin, etc), it's not a pretty sight and they ARE one of the most dangerous class of drugs to come off of--can be lethal. I also have lots of anxiety genes running through my family, and have at least 3 types myself (GAD, panic d/o, and ocd). What is much better for long term management is an SSRI, such as Paxil, Lexapro, or a new one that just came out (don't remember the name). They take time to get into your system, so dr's recommend continuing the benzo until it reaches the effective dose. I also have xanax which I use for really out of control panic attacks. Nothing has impacted my life as much as anxiety has (I have panic attacks when I eat something that causes a severe reaction!). I understand how well xanax works to combat that, but if you can--reduce the benzo's! Typically our body does build up a tolerance to them. I've done lots of research on anxiety and have worked hard to manage through therapy, relaxation, learning my triggers, etc.--just like learning what to eat to feel better! Good luck to you--I have walked much in those anxiety shoes!

sick of the anxiety new
      #302272 - 03/14/07 12:30 PM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

I suffer too, ocd and health anxiety. I'm so sick of feeling anxious all the time, I was thinking today to myself- what am I actually doing about this? and the answer is a pretty pathetic one to be honest I'm doing bits and pieces here and there but nothing on a regular basis when I know I should be meditating, deep breathing, exercising, yoga, praying and spending REGULAR quiet time with God.
So as of now I AM making a conscious effort to do all that I can to get this thing under control. I'm sitting here letting this take over my life when I should be activitley fighting against it.
I just thought I'd get this down in black and white cos then I can hold myself accountable if this time next week I've wasted another week of opportunity to get myself sorted out.
that's it I think lol no more complaining without action if I try every method that I can think that will help and no improvement THEN I'll allow myself to complain lol
thanks for listening (reading lol)
Godbless and best wishes for your own recovery
Vicky

On a similar topic, anyone read "The Secret"??? new
      #302286 - 03/14/07 05:30 PM
line415

Okay so did you all see the Oprah special with the book and dvd "The Secret"? I bought the book and I just finished the chapter on the "Secret to Health." Basically the secret is the law of attraction, in short explanation...your thoughts and feelings control everything that happens to you in your life and you attract whatever it is that you put out. For health problems, we are supposted to think AND believe that our bodies are healthy, young, vibrant, etc...There are so-called stories of people who fought off cancer, bad eyesight, etc. by just "thinking" and pretending that it was gone and miraculously it was. I don't want to do the book or the theory any injustice by trying to explain it further b/c it is quite thought provoking and nicely written with so much more to say. I was just wondering if anyone else has read it and while we're on the topic of anxiety, I wish I could apply it's theory to my own anxieties about my health (not just IBS attacks, but all that goes with it...never quite feeling "wonderful" and "energetic" and ready to conquer the world.) Also, according to the secret, even being on these boards is keeping the "thoughts" of IBS in our minds, thus the universe will continue to give us IBS related things to be concerned about. Can anyone else shed some light on what they think about this?

--------------------

Re: sick of the anxiety new
      #302290 - 03/14/07 07:01 PM
virag

Vicky,
It's so hard to get focused on other projects when dealing with IBS. Between watching what we eat, monitoring how our tummy is feeling after we eat, and wondering when and if we will ever feel normal again, it's not surprising that days go by before we realize it.

I almost have to step aside from it mentally and get objective. Make a list if that is what works for you. Finding quiet time each day is a must for me. I like reading spiritual books, they are uplifting and absorb my mind thoroughly. Also a headset and a cd of music, something you enjoy is also good. I like a headset because outside distractions won't disturb me.
After just a few days of this, I found myself looking forward to this time so much.
Be nice to yourself by making you the priority and not the IBS.
Best wishes, Virag

Re: On a similar topic, anyone read "The Secret"??? new
      #302293 - 03/14/07 07:25 PM
WendySmiling

I understand the concept of lets say, "dieting". One may hang out on diet boards and become obsessed and some may have success, and some not, but the thoughts of focusing on food become paramount because they are there focusing on it all the time.
However, with disease there are certain things that can be done to LEARN how to become better. I wished away my IBS for a year and became sicker and sicker. For ME I HAVE to watch what I eat. I need this site to learn HOW to get stable.
Now....once I am stable do I need to continue to come here when I know what to do and how to do it? I could go about my life and not concentrate on this board. But for ME would leaving be the "right" thing to do?

My nature is altruistic and I would want to share what I have learned with others. Is helping others hurting one's self? I think not. Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

#302299 - 03/14/07 10:33 PM
karen42

I agree with Wendy. I think we can be positive but still deal with the reality of IBS. I wonder what they think of the value of support!? In my world, that is soooo important and that is what this board is for me!

Re: sick of the anxiety new
      #302300 - 03/15/07 03:11 AM
seggy

thanks making a list sounds like a good idea cos I'd probably forget how good it was if I didn't right it down lol
I like music time too that always either relaxes or inspires.
had some time this morning after I woke and it was really nice

#302301 - 03/15/07 03:34 AM
seggy

hi, well first of all I'm not really into the whole 'universe' thing because I'm a Christian but I don't think the issue here is beliefs so here are my thoughts.
I think that if you constantly surround yourself with thoughts of ibs then you are more likely to be tuned into your body in that whenever you feel a twinge you''re thinking of that must be the apple I ate earlier on perhaps because someone on here said they had trouble with an apple lol I know that's a pretty simple example but I hope you get the point. I do agree that whatever you put into your mind you will get out. I saw a therapist who told me I shouldn't be on these boards because it's contributing to my health anxiety and I totally understood what she meant because I was picking up on other people's anxiety, like the apple example but alas here I am lol so why am I here? I know the diet, I suppose I just like the crack as we say here in the North east lol like the company and the people.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that just maybe try giving your self a break not going cold turkey cos then you'll just think about not being on here but just maybe skim through the messages or even stick to the living room where the subjects are generally non ibs, I enjoy the recipe index too cos I love food.
Maybe try asking yourself why you're on here- is it for the information, are you looking for reassurance over the pains you have that they're normal or is it just a nice place to hang out and chat with friends over a common issue?
hope this random rambling helps even just a little bit lol
Vicky
xxx

#302307 - 03/15/07 07:03 AM
virag

I have read small excerpts online and did hear some discussing the keys on a talk show.
While I guess having a positive attitude, which is what I think this is all about, is very beneficial I am pretty sure a year from now someone else will be out with another method. I am pretty much a hands on person and if I want to achieve something in my life, it's up to me to go and do it.

But my real concern is for those with medical issues including our's who will attempt to use this book as a way to get well. Researching online about a medical issue should only be step 1 in a process that includes a visit with a doctor and appropriate tests. Discussion boards like this one are an excellent source for sharing what works and what doesn't. It's a place to find support and even humor. Quite frankly, coming here is a very positive act and benefits us in many ways.
Virag

Vicky, consider a pet....:) new
      #302308 - 03/15/07 07:09 AM
virag

One more thing, do you own a pet? There is nothing like the feeling of love and peace that a pet can bring you. I have 6 in-house cats and a shih-tzu who is the real boss.
But they always know when I am not feeling so hot, they just have some kind of emotional barometer that can sense this. Several will lie by my feet, climb in my lap and their purring and sweet gentle look into my eyes is very, very soothing. I have fallen asleep many times with them.
Just petting them will slow down my edge and in turn, they have a loving home in which to stay. It's a win/win situation.
And your pet could be anything. If I didn't have cats, I would definitely have birds of all kinds.
Virag

Re: I agree with you Vicky, new
      #302309 - 03/15/07 07:16 AM
virag

in asking yourself why you come to this board or any healthboard. We are social animals to begin with and seek out others whether family,friends nearby or online, when we have problems. I understand that there are those who stay online far too long, who belong to many boards and spend hours posting. It's at that point that the focusing on the particular person's problem becomes out of control.

With IBS it is necessary however to pay attention to what we ate, what we plan to eat, how we react to those foods, etc. and keeping a journal especially in the first few months. I do not see this focusing as harmful but important to be in control and not let it control you. So moderation in all things whether dealing with IBS or something else.
Virag

#302311 - 03/15/07 07:50 AM
line415

I wasn't at all thinking of leaving. I am still in need of the wonderful support and ideas that I get here and I do truly feel great when I can offer suggestions to others knowing that I completely empathize and understand what they are going through. It was just an interesting idea about how when you focus on something, even when you are focusing on how to improve it, that may keep the idea of it in the forefront of your mind. I'm sure you all see what I am saying. The book does advocate helping others and giving from the heart. I did often wonder why people who are stable still stick around, but after being here I presume all the reasons that you all have said...social interaction, ideas, recipes, providing guidance for newbies, and most of all for me it is a place where I feel so comforted to know that I am not the "only one" with this problem and all the physical and emotional ties that go with it. The secret could be discussed for hours, as it plays into different aspects of our lives, not just health, but I was curious to get a few viewpoints from people here.

--------------------

Line415....just wondering.. new
      #302314 - 03/15/07 08:56 AM
virag

I see your location is Jersey. I am born and raised there, New Brunswick, home of Rutgers in Middlesex County. We moved down to Florida in 1993 and have been back only once. I miss it to be sure but it's too expensive to own a home there these days. I sure was shocked to read that Jersey's property taxes are the highest in the nation.
But I will always consider myself a Jersey girl no matter what....Virag:)

Re: Vicky, consider a pet....:) new
      #302326 - 03/15/07 12:03 PM
seggy

yeah I have an adopted cat I do like cuddles. Once I was sick and fluffy came and tucked his head under my chin awww lol my uncle has a westie puppy too she brings me joy and a bit of fun cos fluffy's old so he's more of a laid back chap.
But yeah animals are great

Re: Line415....just wondering.. new
      #302441 - 03/17/07 09:54 AM
line415

Hey...I don't live far from there. I have stayed on the Rutgers campus myself numerous time for summer camps. Yes...terribly high taxes!!! My sister-in-law moved to Florida and my other in-laws to SC b/c of that and the cost of a home. But we're staying put for now. Most of my family is here and we live in a great neighborhood. Nothing like a "Jersey Girl" as Bruce would put it.

--------------------

The Secret, Peale, Sontag, and the Serenity Prayer new
      #302443 - 03/17/07 12:40 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Also, according to the secret, even being on these boards is keeping the "thoughts" of IBS in our minds, thus the universe will continue to give us IBS related things to be concerned about. Can anyone else shed some light on what they think about this?

I do think there's some validity to the idea that continuing to be on the IBS Boards can reinforce someone's conviction that "I have IBS" and because there is often a psychological component to IBS that conviction can trigger attacks. On the other hand, the message of the Boards is that IBS can be managed successfully which works on the other side providing a continuing infusion of confidence. Which side weighs more heavily depends on what an individual needs at a given time so it varies from person to person and over time for each person. In other words, when it's time to leave the Boards, you'll know it.

Now I have some stuff to say about "The Secret" - or at least the idea of it - and if you're someone who thinks very highly of this book, you probably want to skip the rest of this post.

Disclosure. I haven't read the book. But one of the interesting things about getting old(er) is seeing the same ideas come around again and again. So here's what I think about the whole Ask-Believe-Receive thing, aka The Power of Positive Thinking, aka Visualization, aka New Thought, aka The Mental Cure, aka The Science of Getting Rich, aka whatever. (I'm not actually old enough to have seen all of these personally.)

First, some areas are more under your mental control than others. Abraham Lincoln said, "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" and I think that's often true. So if the message of The Secret is that you should count your blessings rather than always focusing on what you don't have and you should be open to opportunities to make your life better and you should think about what you really want out of life and go after it, I'm all for it. If the message is that you can make a parking space appear by believing it will, then I don't buy it.

Second, even in areas that are not under your direct mental control, the idea of Positive Thinking can be helpful. For example, if you believe you will be cured of cancer simply by believing you will be, you're toast. However, if you believe you will be cured of cancer by getting it treated, you may be more likely to see the doctor, do the tests, get the diagnosis, do the chemo, show up for your follow-ups, and so on than you would be if you figured your situation was hopeless. Less dramatically, if you believe you can lose weight, be rich, have friends, fall in love, you're more likely to take the actions that will lead to those outcomes than you would be if you simply accepted you'd always be overweight, poor, friendless, and unloved. (As a counterpoint to this, I'll point out that I personally am practically off the charts on the Pessimism scale but I have never missed a test, treatment, or doctor's appointment during my cancer treatments or in the follow-ups over the years.)

Third, there are illnesses where Positive Thinking may help apart from inspiring positive action and IBS is one of them. My IBS is not primarily emotionally driven but there is an emotional component. If I eat "wrong" I'm going to have IBS attacks even if I spend my whole life at home doing yoga, Tai Chi, and meditation in total peace. If I eat "right", I can still have IBS attacks when I'm stressed but even then they're far less severe. Since the stress that triggers my attacks is stress over having an attack, this is a case where worrying about having an attack is likely to give me exactly what I fear.

Fourth - and this is where I start to froth at the mouth - the type of thinking in "The Secret" and the dozens of other Positive Thinking self-help books like it is extremely dangerous because the inescapable end result of it is "you get what you deserve", also known as "blame the victim". Poor? It's not because you were born with a learning disability to a family too poor to get you tested and you went through an underfunded school system that couldn't help you; it's because you attract povery. Sick? It's not germs or genetics or random chance; it's because you attract illness. Read a few stories about cancer patients who turn to Positive Visualization and don't get better and blame themselves for the fact that they're going to die because they have "bad thoughts" and suddenly these books don't look so benign. Rape, murder, incest, torture, genocide, terrorism? Hey, you get what you deserve. And even if you buy the idea of Ask-Believe-Receive for adults, none of these books seem to talk about children who suffer. Sheds a whole new light on the subject, doesn't it?

It's human nature to want to believe that we have control. Children in dysfunctional families will believe - truly believe - that they have done something bad to make Mommy drink or Daddy drug because then those children can believe that if they are "better" Mommy and Daddy will be better - and feeling guilty about being bad is better than feeling out of control. But the simple truth is there's a limit to what we can control, bad things do happen to good people, and we're not all going to be rich, thin, beautiful, and forever healthy. I don't think it's a coincidence that Rhonda Byrne came up with "The Secret" after her father died.

If ideas like those in "The Secret" inspire people to try to make - not wish - their lives more what they want them to be, I think that's great. But I'd make sure my bookmark for "The Secret" has the Serenity Prayer printed on it.

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale

Illness As Metaphor by Susan Sontag

A truly brutal review of "The Secret" - This is painfully slow-loading but the discussion with Byrne about Rwanda (page 3) is blood-chilling

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sand, kudos on your reply to the topic of The Secret, etc... new
      #302447 - 03/17/07 01:03 PM
virag

It's easily the best I've read anywhere regarding not only the book but the subject matter. I still have my dogeared copy of Peale's Power of, etc.. my mother gave me when I married at 18! I still have it only because she signed it so long ago. Somehow I never could manage to apply a theory that was okay in practice but failed in reality, at least my reality.
Virag:)

Sand - your post new
      #302449 - 03/17/07 03:58 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Sand,

Thanks for summarizing your thoughts and insights on "The Secret". I'm grateful that you were able to share, what I feel, is a very clear understanding of how "the law of attraction" or the other titles this has had over the years, works. I completely agree with many of your points and want to thank you for being open to share what you've learned from your own life experience AND you shared it so clearly, intelligently and thoughtfully.

You are so right. It takes courage, willingness and a commitment to move from ones good intentions into action steps. The action steps are the "doing" and are necessary in order to reach our bigger agenda of who we are "being" in the process. That's where the treasure is!
As a Life Coach I know there are many pieces of the life puzzle that need attention in order for someone to have all they want for themselves; positive thinking alone will not get the job done.... but you know that

Best,
Alicia

Re: The Secret, Peale, Sontag, and the Serenity Prayer new
      #302450 - 03/17/07 06:20 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

So if the message of The Secret is that you should count your blessings rather than always focusing on what you don't have and you should be open to opportunities to make your life better and you should think about what you really want out of life and go after it, I'm all for it.

In my opinion, you hit the nail on the head with this one. I've seen the DVD and I think that this is the point of it. Figure out what you want, go get it, be open to anything that helps you get there.

However, I also agree, and have thought what you said nearly verbatim, that there are many circumstances in this world that no amount of positive thinking on the part of the effected will change.

Quote:

the type of thinking in "The Secret" and the dozens of other Positive Thinking self-help books like it is extremely dangerous because the inescapable end result of it is "you get what you deserve", also known as "blame the victim". Poor? It's not because you were born with a learning disability to a family too poor to get you tested and you went through an underfunded school system that couldn't help you; it's because you attract povery. Sick? It's not germs or genetics or random chance; it's because you attract illness. Read a few stories about cancer patients who turn to Positive Visualization and don't get better and blame themselves for the fact that they're going to die because they have "bad thoughts" and suddenly these books don't look so benign. Rape, murder, incest, torture, genocide, terrorism? Hey, you get what you deserve. And even if you buy the idea of Ask-Believe-Receive for adults, none of these books seem to talk about children who suffer. Sheds a whole new light on the subject, doesn't it?

I think, and I knew this about myself from a young age, that inaction changes nothing. If you don't like a situation, do everything in your power to make it what you want. And when you do everything you can, if it doesn't work and you're no better off, don't blame yourself. Put faith in a greater plan. Maybe there is one, maybe there isn't, I don't know. For some, that power is God, for others their family, for others it might be justice or universal balance or anything that is enjoyable, from religion to potato chips. It really doesn't matter what a person uses. But that faith helps people to understand why things happen.

I do agree unconditionally with one point that these people, the teachers of "The Secret" make. Life is meant to be joyous. And there is enough of everything to go around.

Whatever makes you happy, and doesn't hurt someone else, go for it. We could all bite it tomorrow for all we know. The sun could burn out. Natural disasters, disease, famine, hell even going for a car ride has no guarantees.

My point, now that I have gone off on this rant is:

DON'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW!

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Hey Melissa! Long time, no talk...LOL Nice to see you! -nt- new
      #302451 - 03/17/07 06:36 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Secret replies new
      #302453 - 03/17/07 07:29 PM
line415

Thanks Sand for your insight. I completely agree with so many of your points and have been wondering how on earth positive thinking (alone) can make someone accomplish or overcome certain things. I kept thinking that it was just me...I could never REALLY, truly, and sincerely follow the secret b/c if it's supposedly works as they say, I am too cautious (I like to say that rather than pessimistic ) to "believe." Like the parking spot example....really, every time?

On the other hand, I do think that there are valuable messages presented in the book, as in many other books out there of a similar genre that I cannot claim to have read. Thus far I have found myself to be a better mother and wife after reading some of it because even though before I always tried to keep perspective on the little complaints in life, something about the "being grateful" chapters made something click for me. It is so easy to get caught up in the small things that shouldn't even matter when you have so much more to be thankful for. I find myself living more for each day, and thankfully with my IBS more under control, I really want to LIVE. For me, these last 6 months have been such a growth...as I mentioned in another post...it's the conglomerate (sp?) of all I've been doing I think (the hypno, the diet, acacia, yoga, reading, anxiety meds.). I always like to listen to other people's perspectives on things and just take them in. Other posters on this thread...thanks for your insight too.

Two other messages have impacted my growth also over these past months. They are food for thought for anyone else out there who is struggling:

1- I read an article about a particular author (can't remember the name) who described a situation where a person was driving to work/a meeting (something quite important) and was in that usual harried state of mind that commuters get in when the car in front of her suddenly stopped. It upset her b/c she couldn't believe this person was not moving, holding up traffic and she had to be somewhere!! So the driver of that vehicle got out of her car and was fiddling around her back seat for awhile. How could she do this right now? Doesn't she know people have places to go? People to see? Anyhow, turns out that the driver's baby was choking in the back seat of the car in her car seat and the mother had stopped and gotten out to help her. (Sorry if I have done the author any injustice in my retelling) Point being: the second driver was quick to complain and make a judgement when she didn't even know the circumstances. From that point on, she decided she would use the acronym BIBS (Baby in the Back Seat) whenever she encountered someone who was rude, etc. We never know what other people have going on behind closed doors and now I stop and think, "I wonder what that person is going through" instead of cursing them out. I'm not perfect at it, but if we all thought this way more often, the world be a little friendlier place. I take a deep breath and think, "BIBS", whenever I'm about to lose my cool. Not directly IBS related, but who knows...maybe that rude person has just had an attack or is stressed about something???

2- Whether you're a Drew Barrimore fan or not, I think what she said on the TODAY show about a month ago is worth remembering. She was explaining why she had run naked in a field in Ireland (or something wild like that) and she said, "I don't want each year of my life to be a carbon copy of the last." BINGO! I stopped right there and thought about how my IBS is holding me back from really doing the things I want to do in life before I die. I realized that although each year has been mildly different, each day often seems to be a carbon copy of the last for me. I vowed right then and there to do something exciting and new/more adventuresome with my children DAILY...even if it just means reading our evening stories under a blanket tent instead of sitting on the bed. I'm not necessarily running through a field naked, but it's a start.

Well...I've gone on a tangent, but I am so excited about the possibilities that lie ahead and I suppose that is the main message of the Secret and all those other books out there. As for the impact of the message boards, it is true that reading a bunch of posts about difficulties may not be as uplifting as reading the success stories. Lucky for me the latter has weighed more heavily and the genuine concern of everyone here keeps me plugging along.

--------------------

#302463 - 03/18/07 09:08 AM
arnce

Reged: 05/23/04

I just pulled up your e-mail on panic attacks and while I feel very badly for all those who have these things, it's a bit of comfort to know that I'm not alone. I've had panic attacks which have turned into anxiety disorder/panic disorder for over ten years. Xanax has been my drug of choice 2-3 mg. a day divided every four hours. However, an MD on television this morning was just saying that Lexipro is now the drug of choice for panic attacks so I'm going to talk to my MD. Sometimes my head feels like pac man and I get up in the AM with a huge panic attack. I hate them and they did go away for a few years but they're back. I also know what you mean about agoraphobia. I have to know where all the washrooms are before I venture out. You're not alone if that's any consolation. Keep in touch.

#302491 - 03/18/07 03:35 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

I have taken xanax for over 10 years and have never went over a MG a day
the pharmacist said its because i don't take a steady dose every day some days I need 2 .25mg and some days 3 and once in a while 4 usually around period time

--------------------
Gretchen

Arne, re Lexapro and treating anxiety/panic attacks.. new
      #302508 - 03/18/07 07:51 PM
virag

Everyone is different and I have never taken an ssri to treat my panic attacks and agoraphobia. The Valium though goes a long way to putting the brakes on quickly when I feel in a panicky situation that could lead into a full blown attack. The ssri's take awhile to get into your system, sometimes weeks and even then you don't know if the dose you are taking is enough to keep you stable.

And btw, Xanax and Valium are the same chemically except Xanax gets through your system in a few hours whereas Valium is in anywhere from 8 hours or even longer. I prefer the longer even balance of Valium during the panic times as opposed to the in/out of Xanax which leaves you high and dry and vulnerable. I am talking only about taking it for those intense times that you know will lead to an attack. The idea is to ward one off beforehand when possible.
But if you think an ssri will work for you, then by all means give it a try...best wishes, Virag

Sand-I've read Peale and loved it! -nt new
      #302531 - 03/19/07 08:07 AM
seggy

Re: Secret replies new
      #302545 - 03/19/07 10:05 AM
Sand

I think it's great that you're excited about the possibilities of your life and I agree - that's what books like "The Secret" can ideally do for us. And I also agree that when you get right down to it, I've hit the jackpot in the great lottery of life.

I love your BIBS story - and the philosophy it leads to. Plus it seems to me that this is a prefect example of situations we can't control - but we can control our attitude toward them so our life is better and so are the lives of others around us. The Drew Barrymore story - also great - seems like the exact opposite: there are things in our life we can control so why not make them what we want them to be? (I have to admit, though, that reading bedtime stories under a blanket tent sounds more appealing to me than running naked through a field. What about bugs? What if I step on a stone? What about grass burns on my butt?)

It is too bad about the whole parking space thing, though. That would be a great talent to have.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

what are you telling yourself? new
      #302551 - 03/19/07 11:42 AM
seggy

I was sitting trying to relax tonight feeling particularly anxious so I was just reading through the Bible. I decided that I'd try out something. I do believe that the Bible has answers for every single issue in our lives. Afterall it is Godbreathed and God was here before the world began so He knows our every situation and thought.
So I started writing down my thoughts and realised I was telling myself such negative things! I came up with a list of my thoughts for example....
I have so many things wrong with me I'm just a pit of endless illnesses, and yes I found scriptural answers to all my thoughts so far.
so I may say 'I'm just so scared' but God says 'I have not given you a spirit of fear' think the verse is 1 Timothy 1:17, 'do not be afraid' which appears in the Bible 366 times.
I say 'I'm so weak and tired' God says ' come to me and I will give you rest', 'those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they will mount on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint' (Isaiah 43?) and 'let the weak say I am strong' found in the book of Joel.

I know not everyone here is a Christian, it's not a Christian board but even for unbelievers there's something to be found by analysing our thoughts and giving counter arguments.
Vicky
xxx

Alternatives to meds for anxiety/panic new
      #302557 - 03/19/07 01:06 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Anxiety is a major IBS trigger for me. From my teens onward, I would get a bout of D three days before performing on stage. Now it's an immediate reaction to anything that causes me stress or anxiety (traveling, not getting enough sleep, work overload, an emotional outburst).

I've had generalized anxiety disorder since I was a child, which developed into panic disorder when I was put on Prozac. I've been on and off many different medications to treat it.

I took Clonazepam (generic for Klonopin) for over three years for the anxiety. I became addicted and decided it was better if I tapered off. I took it slowly, using a water titration method, and it took seven hard months of getting off that stuff. It's not easy; but taking it slow is doable.

Before I tapered off, I started using Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for my anxiety and panic. This has proved to be the most beneficial to me. Kaiser Medical Center offers group therapy in CBT, as do many medical centers and hospitals. Doing it with a group is great, because you learn from, and support, each other. I highly recommend it for anyone dealing with mind/body issues (and who isn't these days?).

Medication is certainly helpful, especially when you're suffering from panic attacks. But becoming aware of your beliefs and thoughts, and how they affect your body, and learning to change them (and therefore change the groove in your brain that makes you anxious, obsessed, or panicky) can be just as effective.

Here are some books I recommend if you're interested:

"Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes. This is a classic - you can find it in new and used bookstores and libraries. One thing she talks about is how, when you start to feel anxious, you can learn to stop from spiraling into second fear (caused by our thoughts about our symptoms, which causes them to increase into full-blown panic.)

"Mind over Mood" by Greenberger. This is a workbook - you need to do the work to get the benefit. It's the book we used in the CBT group.

"Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund Bourne. Another workbook using CBT.

"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns. Burns also wrote "The Feeling Good Handbook." Another classic on CBT.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not an oncoming train!

Re: Sand-I've read Peale and loved it! new
      #302573 - 03/19/07 02:11 PM
Sand

And this is what makes horse racing. Or, as my aunt used to say, "To each his own, as the old lady said when she kissed the cow".

I've read lots of self-help books and some have been, well, helpful to me and others haven't. I think the important thing is to take them all with a grain of salt and to remember we all have different personalities so there's no "one size fits all" approach to making our lives what we want. Those of you who are Positive (or as we over on my side like to say, "Pert") are very different from those of us who are Realistic (or as you might say, "Curmudgeons"). Doesn't mean we can't all be happy - we just all get there via different paths. A good baseball team needs the guy who's a good bunter just as much as it needs the guy who swings for the fences.

And why I'm waxing so philosophical lately, I have no idea. Must be the approach of Opening Day.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review