All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Wendy.... new
      #302258 - 03/14/07 07:12 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Thanks Wendy for your advice! I am taking Xanax as I said, on an as needed basis .25 mg. I think I need it to last about 8 hours every day. I will speak to my doctor and see about clonazepam possibly and see if he can discuss it with me too. Thanks!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wendy.... new
      #302271 - 03/14/07 12:02 PM
karen42

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Atlanta area

Working in the mental health field, and watching people detox off benzo's (xanax, klonopin, etc), it's not a pretty sight and they ARE one of the most dangerous class of drugs to come off of--can be lethal. I also have lots of anxiety genes running through my family, and have at least 3 types myself (GAD, panic d/o, and ocd). What is much better for long term management is an SSRI, such as Paxil, Lexapro, or a new one that just came out (don't remember the name). They take time to get into your system, so dr's recommend continuing the benzo until it reaches the effective dose. I also have xanax which I use for really out of control panic attacks. Nothing has impacted my life as much as anxiety has (I have panic attacks when I eat something that causes a severe reaction!). I understand how well xanax works to combat that, but if you can--reduce the benzo's! Typically our body does build up a tolerance to them. I've done lots of research on anxiety and have worked hard to manage through therapy, relaxation, learning my triggers, etc.--just like learning what to eat to feel better! Good luck to you--I have walked much in those anxiety shoes!

sick of the anxiety new
      #302272 - 03/14/07 12:30 PM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

I suffer too, ocd and health anxiety. I'm so sick of feeling anxious all the time, I was thinking today to myself- what am I actually doing about this? and the answer is a pretty pathetic one to be honest I'm doing bits and pieces here and there but nothing on a regular basis when I know I should be meditating, deep breathing, exercising, yoga, praying and spending REGULAR quiet time with God.
So as of now I AM making a conscious effort to do all that I can to get this thing under control. I'm sitting here letting this take over my life when I should be activitley fighting against it.
I just thought I'd get this down in black and white cos then I can hold myself accountable if this time next week I've wasted another week of opportunity to get myself sorted out.
that's it I think lol no more complaining without action if I try every method that I can think that will help and no improvement THEN I'll allow myself to complain lol
thanks for listening (reading lol)
Godbless and best wishes for your own recovery
Vicky

On a similar topic, anyone read "The Secret"??? new
      #302286 - 03/14/07 05:30 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Okay so did you all see the Oprah special with the book and dvd "The Secret"? I bought the book and I just finished the chapter on the "Secret to Health." Basically the secret is the law of attraction, in short explanation...your thoughts and feelings control everything that happens to you in your life and you attract whatever it is that you put out. For health problems, we are supposted to think AND believe that our bodies are healthy, young, vibrant, etc...There are so-called stories of people who fought off cancer, bad eyesight, etc. by just "thinking" and pretending that it was gone and miraculously it was. I don't want to do the book or the theory any injustice by trying to explain it further b/c it is quite thought provoking and nicely written with so much more to say. I was just wondering if anyone else has read it and while we're on the topic of anxiety, I wish I could apply it's theory to my own anxieties about my health (not just IBS attacks, but all that goes with it...never quite feeling "wonderful" and "energetic" and ready to conquer the world.) Also, according to the secret, even being on these boards is keeping the "thoughts" of IBS in our minds, thus the universe will continue to give us IBS related things to be concerned about. Can anyone else shed some light on what they think about this?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: sick of the anxiety new
      #302290 - 03/14/07 07:01 PM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Vicky,
It's so hard to get focused on other projects when dealing with IBS. Between watching what we eat, monitoring how our tummy is feeling after we eat, and wondering when and if we will ever feel normal again, it's not surprising that days go by before we realize it.

I almost have to step aside from it mentally and get objective. Make a list if that is what works for you. Finding quiet time each day is a must for me. I like reading spiritual books, they are uplifting and absorb my mind thoroughly. Also a headset and a cd of music, something you enjoy is also good. I like a headset because outside distractions won't disturb me.
After just a few days of this, I found myself looking forward to this time so much.
Be nice to yourself by making you the priority and not the IBS.
Best wishes, Virag

Re: On a similar topic, anyone read "The Secret"??? new
      #302293 - 03/14/07 07:25 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

I understand the concept of lets say, "dieting". One may hang out on diet boards and become obsessed and some may have success, and some not, but the thoughts of focusing on food become paramount because they are there focusing on it all the time.
However, with disease there are certain things that can be done to LEARN how to become better. I wished away my IBS for a year and became sicker and sicker. For ME I HAVE to watch what I eat. I need this site to learn HOW to get stable.
Now....once I am stable do I need to continue to come here when I know what to do and how to do it? I could go about my life and not concentrate on this board. But for ME would leaving be the "right" thing to do?

My nature is altruistic and I would want to share what I have learned with others. Is helping others hurting one's self? I think not. Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

#302299 - 03/14/07 10:33 PM
karen42

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Atlanta area

I agree with Wendy. I think we can be positive but still deal with the reality of IBS. I wonder what they think of the value of support!? In my world, that is soooo important and that is what this board is for me!

Re: sick of the anxiety new
      #302300 - 03/15/07 03:11 AM
seggy

thanks making a list sounds like a good idea cos I'd probably forget how good it was if I didn't right it down lol
I like music time too that always either relaxes or inspires.
had some time this morning after I woke and it was really nice

#302301 - 03/15/07 03:34 AM
seggy

hi, well first of all I'm not really into the whole 'universe' thing because I'm a Christian but I don't think the issue here is beliefs so here are my thoughts.
I think that if you constantly surround yourself with thoughts of ibs then you are more likely to be tuned into your body in that whenever you feel a twinge you''re thinking of that must be the apple I ate earlier on perhaps because someone on here said they had trouble with an apple lol I know that's a pretty simple example but I hope you get the point. I do agree that whatever you put into your mind you will get out. I saw a therapist who told me I shouldn't be on these boards because it's contributing to my health anxiety and I totally understood what she meant because I was picking up on other people's anxiety, like the apple example but alas here I am lol so why am I here? I know the diet, I suppose I just like the crack as we say here in the North east lol like the company and the people.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that just maybe try giving your self a break not going cold turkey cos then you'll just think about not being on here but just maybe skim through the messages or even stick to the living room where the subjects are generally non ibs, I enjoy the recipe index too cos I love food.
Maybe try asking yourself why you're on here- is it for the information, are you looking for reassurance over the pains you have that they're normal or is it just a nice place to hang out and chat with friends over a common issue?
hope this random rambling helps even just a little bit lol
Vicky
xxx

#302307 - 03/15/07 07:03 AM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

I have read small excerpts online and did hear some discussing the keys on a talk show.
While I guess having a positive attitude, which is what I think this is all about, is very beneficial I am pretty sure a year from now someone else will be out with another method. I am pretty much a hands on person and if I want to achieve something in my life, it's up to me to go and do it.

But my real concern is for those with medical issues including our's who will attempt to use this book as a way to get well. Researching online about a medical issue should only be step 1 in a process that includes a visit with a doctor and appropriate tests. Discussion boards like this one are an excellent source for sharing what works and what doesn't. It's a place to find support and even humor. Quite frankly, coming here is a very positive act and benefits us in many ways.
Virag

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36159

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review