All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
How many of us have panic disorder or anxiety attacks?
      #302177 - 03/13/07 09:42 AM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

I was just wondering if these issues are a problem currently or have been in your life. I have read at other websites re IBS that many of the posters have problems along these lines including agoraphobia and social phobias.

I have spent decades battling agoraphobia at the worst and panic attacks to a lesser degree. I have always had a tendency to be nervous even as a child when my stomach was easily upset either with school, carsickness, even spending a sleep over at a friend's house.
Does any of this sound familiar to you?
Virag:)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many of us have panic disorder or anxiety attacks? new
      #302181 - 03/13/07 11:13 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

TOTALLY me. I was always a nervous child too and I remember always having a bm before a big event, but that was it...at least I would go once and then once I got involved it was over. I'm sure this doesn't help the IBS anxiety now, but I figure mine was more triggered by a traumatic accident (bm) that I had once. It made me nervous about it happening again ever since. I'm taking an SSRI for my anxiety and I am so glad that I made the decision to start it. After getting advice from people here and my family, I decided I wanted to "live" and my IBS was preventing me from doing that. I attribute the success that I am having right now to a collective group of things I have been doing: taking the SSRI, adjusting my diet (esp. giving up coffee), taking acacia, doing the hypno. (almost done), and sometimes doing yoga. IBS is tough so I think you have to come at it from all angles!!! You are certainly not alone in your fear. Lots of posters struggle with social situations, etc. I hope you can find a way to get some control over the IBS. It is still a big part of my life ( as I am still working on different things with my diet) but not nearly as debilitating as it had been.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Very familiar! new
      #302182 - 03/13/07 11:16 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Even as a kid, I was nervous and twitchy. A couple years back, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. I'm also emetophobic and have a mild case of OCD. I was put on Lexapro for anxiety, 20mg daily, and I swear, it's been a MIRACLE. It improved my IBS symptoms as well.

If you have anxiety problems - or other similar issues, such as depression or extreme stress - it's really important to address those issues, both for your own sanity and for the sake of your guts. I don't know too many people who have had problems like that and still managed to get/stay stable IBS-wise. It doesn't even necessarily have to be medication - some people respond well to therapy/hypno.

Re: Very familiar! new
      #302183 - 03/13/07 11:21 AM
virag

I am probably alone in this but I asked about if other's here have these issues and similiar because I wonder if there is a stronger connection. And what about genetics? My mother had trouble from her 40's until she passed at 91 with colitis. I have so many memories as a child being hurried out of the bathroom because she just had to get in due to a sudden diarrhea attack.

I know it's just a theory that I am presenting but it does make a person wonder...Virag

#302184 - 03/13/07 11:27 AM
virag

I have been on Valium now on and off for decades. There is no predicting when I am going to have an panic episode but when I do, generally it means the anxiety levels have risen and it's time to get the pills out. I have gone months, even a few years w/o needing more then one every now and then. But during the rough periods, I might be on them for months. They are 2mg. and one or two a day is more then enough to get me 'grounded' until I sense that I can slowly get off of them again. During the anxiety time, my stomach is a mess.
I meditate and have for years with a good success using guided imagery CD's and headset to stop distracting noises.
However I think once our brains have fixated on the episodes, they get imprinted and we don't forget them.
Virag

Re: Nope not me.. new
      #302185 - 03/13/07 11:28 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Just wanted to give the other-side's perspective. I don't have anxiety issues or panic attacks. As a child I was shy (and still am) but this never seemed connected to my bathroom habits. When my IBS has been at its worse I've had some anxiety about going to eat at restaurants or friend's houses but I think that was more caused by the IBS. Sometimes if I was having an attack and wasn't near a washroom I'd feel a bit panicky but again, I felt this was normal.

So while there is a strong connection for some people with anxiety and their IBS, for some there isn't. My IBS does get worse somewhat during stressful times (exams with school) but I don't think stress is a cause of my IBS.

I do get easily carsick though! LOL, my whole life.. I take Gravol to deal with that. I've never had IBS symptoms from motion sickness though.

--------------------
Kat

#302198 - 03/13/07 02:33 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Just walking into a restaurant used to give me such anxiety, that I'd have an IBS attack before I even ate anything! I also suffer from depression, for which I take 225 mg of Effexor every day. The hypno definitely helped with the anxiety! And I think the Effexor has helped me to "chill out" in general. Although I'm currently going through a bit of a depression relapse...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#302199 - 03/13/07 02:47 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I get nervous easily and I'm very shy around people I don't know. I usually get butterflies in my stomach, but it never gets too bad. I don't know, but I think I suffer from a mild case of depression. My dad had a terrible case of it.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#302200 - 03/13/07 02:52 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I believe that IBS (and other digestive conditions) is passed on, because almost all of the women in my family have a case of it (and even two of the men). I found out about it from my aunt when I began having problems. Apparently, though, I have the most severe. I'M the one that is giving advice to her now, but vice versa!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#302210 - 03/13/07 04:22 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Definitely genetic, to some degree. My mom and brother have both suffered from it. My mom's got better since entering menopause, but she suffered a lot in her 20s. My little brother had LOTS of problems with it in grade school. But they both tended towards D, whereas I'm a C.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 644 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review