All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Very familiar! new
      #302225 - 03/13/07 06:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't know if you've explored the IBS Research Library here on the site much, but it's a whole section of scientific articles related to many aspects of IBS, including the mind-gut connection, and you might find some of that helpful.

I'm pretty sure they haven't proven a genetic connection, but I'm convinced there is one. My father, who recently passed away (cancer), suffered from digestive problems most of his life - IBS, diverticulitis, ulcers. His mother had problems as well, as does his brother.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many of us have panic disorder or anxiety attacks? new
      #302229 - 03/13/07 06:47 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I was diagnosed with social phobia and anxiety disorder with specific triggers (bridges, airplanes). At times I have used medications, but currently I'm off meds. While I didn't have panic attacks because of my IBS, like I've read about, but my panic attacks always make me have gas or some times even trigger D.

#302233 - 03/13/07 07:45 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

My IBS just this week started acting up after a year. It is due to stress my doctor said. I also, had the tendency since I was as in my late teens, that whenever I got nervous, my my stomach would act up. I never had anxiety until late last year. Last week after having an arguement with my husband, it brought on an anxiety attack, which then lead to a major IBS attack (for two days no less) after a year of nothing and being stable. I went to my doctor on Thursday and he told me that my IBS was triggered by stress. My doctor gave me Xanax for stress (that I will only take when needed) and Librax also when needeed, when my stomach acts up. I wound up being out of work for three days . I was afraid to leave the house, because I had been in the BR all day for two days. I am afraid of this happening again at work, if I get stressed. But in the meantime, I have the medication which I am told helps. You might want to speak to your doctor and see about medication also. I was told by my doctor that this is very common with women.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: Very familiar! new
      #302234 - 03/13/07 07:48 PM
Sweetd

My mother has IBS, my grandmother and now my niece and I have it. I believe it is passed on as well.

--------------------

Re: Nope not me.. new
      #302235 - 03/13/07 08:09 PM
karen42

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Atlanta area

Yup, add me to the list of those with panic disorder, with some agoraphobia in the past, and ongoing anxiety. In fact I've been on Paxil which my Dr thought might be contributing to my intestinal problems, and he wants to try to take me off to see if this will help cramping and bloating. I have always carried my stress and anxiety in my stomach--when I pay attention to it, I notice my stomach is tense.

#302242 - 03/13/07 08:45 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

I've had panic atacks since the same time I was diagnosed IBS about the age of 14 or 15. The panic attacks gave way in my 30's to generalized anxiety disorder. I can never relax and am always worried. I take 3mg clonazepam (klonepin)a day. I took xanax for years.

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

#302253 - 03/14/07 05:42 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Virag:
About 12 or 13 years ago I had a bout of clinical depression which I started taking medication and theraphy for. I got through that Then about four or five years ago I started getting anxiety that progressed to panic attacks. It was really bad but I fought through it and with the help of medication and therapy got through it. I honestly think that I initernalized my anxiety and it shows in my stomach. I take Lexapro daily along with Xanax that lately I have had to take daily.

Re: Panic disorder and IBS.. gulping air and trying to take a deep breath? new
      #302254 - 03/14/07 06:29 AM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

It's just as I thought when posting the topic. So many here have issues with panic disorder and panic/anxiety attacks. Anxiety is pretty much at home with everyone these days but proceeding then onto panic and anxiety attacks indicates that we do in fact "internalize our anxiety". Needing meds to control(I do)them or least attempt to live with it, speaks volunmnes.

I have a tendency to gulp air or do because often I can't seem to get a full breath. So I do it over and over. When I am very anxious sometimes this process will lead to hyperventilating. This is something that leads to trapped air and bloating. Not the hyperventilating but even the over gulping.

How many times in a day do you notice you are holding your muscles tight? especially tummy muscles. I am convinced that by internalizing our chronic anxiety, out stomachs take the brunt of that.
It's just my theory and reading all of your replies certainly goes a long to convince me too.
Thanks for your replies...Virag

Wendy.... new
      #302256 - 03/14/07 06:41 AM
Sweetd

When you took the Xanax and clonazepam everyday did your doctor say that was alright? I have been worrying pretty much everyday about money and I also can't relax lately due to it. I would like to stay on something everyday, instead of as needed like my doctor prescribed it. Especially Xanax, b/c its easy on my stomach. Did you have any side effects after taking it for so long? Did it loose its effectiveness? I've heard that can happen with Xanax. I am just curious for myself. Thanks !

--------------------

Re: Wendy.... new
      #302257 - 03/14/07 07:03 AM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

I didn't take them at the same time. I used to take xanax and then my Dr. switched me to clonazepam which is a cousin to xanax. He switched because it lasts a little longer(I think 6 hours and xanax lasts 4).

I take it on a regular schedule morning, noon, and night. If you stop it suddenly you can end up in the hospital. One would need to wean off the med per Dr. instructions if you decided to stop it.

They didn't lose their effectiveness, but depending on my anxiety level I take .5 mg or 1mg tablets.
I started out taking xanax "as needed", but ended up needing it on a rugular basis long term (probably for life) as anxiety disorder runs in my family. It's a chemical imbalance. I consider taking the med like taking diabetes medication, I just need it to live a better life. But that's just me, everyone is different.

Quote:

When you took the Xanax and clonazepam everyday did your doctor say that was alright? I have been worrying pretty much everyday about money and I also can't relax lately due to it. I would like to stay on something everyday, instead of as needed like my doctor prescribed it. Especially Xanax, b/c its easy on my stomach. Did you have any side effects after taking it for so long? Did it loose its effectiveness? I've heard that can happen with Xanax. I am just curious for myself. Thanks !

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36163

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review