All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dairy and Peppermint
      #301835 - 03/08/07 03:29 PM
sickofibs

Reged: 03/08/07

I find that drinking milk or eating ice cream is actually soothing and it's what I do when I'm having a lot of problems. It seems to settle things down. I buy skim milk with acidopholous. I also eat all natural yogurt every day.. It does seem to irritate my IBS sometimes but it also seems that things work better overall when I eat yogurt. I've tried soy milk and the only kind I like is very vanilla. Rice milk has wheat gluten and barley which are things I've been told to avoid. Ginger seems to give me heartburn as well as peppermint which also gives me horrible gas. I'm taking citrucel powder smoothie and it seems less irritating but still makes me a bit gassy. Does this sound normal for IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dairy and Peppermint new
      #301851 - 03/08/07 05:23 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

The point of this board is to discuss Heather's EFI diet. If you're consuming dairy products, then you're not following the diet. If you're not sure you HAVE IBS, then make sure you've ruled out all of these.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#301858 - 03/08/07 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

For many here dairy has also been a comfort food, but sometimes things that you like are actually hurting you. I love dairy- I come from a long line of dairy farmers, but I also know for a fact that I can't handle it. I get D or C or gas or all three! If I test it after being off of it I get pretty bad responses. I longed to have brie a few weeks ago and I got bad D that night. I was disappointed, but while sitting on the stool I said nothing was worth that and vowed to not 'just try to be normal once in a while' ever again.
I have said it before and I'll say it again: if you are presently having problems with digestion or any IBS symptoms then the food you are eating is not safe for you.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

sickofibs is new to the boards. Let's intro Heather's diet nicely. new
      #301859 - 03/08/07 07:12 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Most of the people who are new here are consuming dairy because they don't understand the potential effect it can have on the GI system.

Let's educate!

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#301898 - 03/09/07 09:12 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Ginger may well be giving you heartburn - like peppermint, it's not recommended for people who have acid reflux or GERD. I don't know what's in the Citrucel powder smoothie but if it's orange flavor it might be irritating just as the ginger and peppermint are. If it's not orange flavor then just make sure there are no artificial sweeteners in it - they can be very tough for us IBSers. Beyond that for any fiber product you need to work up slowly - taking too much too soon will make you gassy.

I agree with the poster who said you need to be sure about your diagnosis. Since IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion it shouldn't be decided on casually but only after all the necessary tests are done and other conditions excluded. I was struck by your saying you've been told you should avoid wheat gluten and barley. It sounds like someone thinks you're gluten intolerant. This is a different thing from IBS although one person can have both. Assuming a doctor told you this you should pursue it. The extreme end of gluten intolerance is celiac disease which is dangerous and must be be definitively diagnosed and managed. On the other end of the scale, if "avoid gluten" was just a casual suggestion, it would be nice to know it's *not* true. Trying to avoid gluten for the rest of your life is quite an undertaking.

As you've probably figured out, dairy is a touchy subject around here. I said in an old post that if someone was bored she could get a lot of amusement simply by asking, "Is cheese okay?" and then watching all the Board regulars go nuts.

I do know what you mean by feeling that dairy is soothing. When my IBS first kicked up, I would have a bowl of cream soup for lunch because it "felt good". The fact is that it may have felt good temporarily but in the long run it was keeping my gut in an uproar.

Think of it this way. Let's say I eat a little regular milk on my cereal in the morning; a small container of regular yogurt at lunch; and some regular ice cream after dinner. My stomach doesn't feel great but I may not be actively having an attack. After a day or two of this I have, let's say, a turkey sandwich on white bread with lettuce and tomato for lunch. I have an attack. I figure it's the lettuce and tomato. In reality, though, the lettuce and tomato wouldn't have bothered me if I hadn't constantly been annoying my gut by eating dairy.

You see, trigger foods don't always trigger immediately. Sometimes they just act like sandpaper, constantly irritating your gut just enough so that at some point you hit overload and have an attack.

The only way to know what really bothers you - and to give Heather's approach a fair try - is to completely eliminate the trigger foods including dairy. Follow the EFI Guidelines faithfully until you're stable. Once you are stable, you can try some of the trigger foods and irritants in small quantities and see how you do. If you keep eating them before you're stable, though, it's pretty unlikely you'll ever get stable.

One reason you may feel your milk and yogurt are making things better is because they have probiotics in them. Some IBSers find probiotics very helpful. Try getting your probiotics elsewhere. Soy yogurt has probiotics and you can also just buy probiotics in pill or liquid form - there are a million discussions on the Boards about which ones to try.

I don't think rice milk is a "drinking" milk although I cook with it all the time. If you don't like any of the soy milks to drink, try almond milk. And some flavors of soy ice cream are very good - it's high in fat, though, so eat just a little after a high-soluble fiber, low-fat meal.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#301940 - 03/09/07 08:10 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

Actually, even though this so anti-IBS diet, I find that yogurt is soothing to my stomach as well. Dairy doesn't bother me at all.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#301942 - 03/09/07 10:18 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

don't start the whole milk debate again
For someone who is not stable, they really need to eliminate ALL triggers including dairy. After they are stable they can experiment with milk products, but then shouldn't be surprised when and if they start feeling bad and having attacks again.

#301948 - 03/10/07 06:43 AM
Lorenzo

Reged: 10/25/06
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Check the label on your icecream. Most have wheat in them.

#301949 - 03/10/07 06:49 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

This is true. I cut out all dairy until I *absolutely* knew I was stable and I could handle it.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Sorry! Didn't mean to sound rude... new
      #302066 - 03/12/07 10:01 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I just get frustrated when people claim to have IBS and also claim that dairy makes them feel better.

PLEASE educate yourself on the material on this website (after getting a 100% diagnosis of IBS), and decide if you want to give it a shot. You've got to give it 100%, though; no cheating! And that means absolutely NO dairy.

Good luck...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

I didn't think you were being rude. new
      #302069 - 03/12/07 10:20 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

And the dairy thing can get to me, too. But, fact is, some people are going to keep it in their diet and all we can do is share what we know is true for ourselves.

I agree about going %100. Any cheating and you won't stabilize.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1084 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review