All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Having a D set-back...questions
      #301678 - 03/07/07 09:39 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Okay, I can normally eat vegetarian pizza with no cheese, onions or peppers and be fine. Last night, tho, it triggered a very rumbly tummy followed by a D attack this morning. Now granted, I was really hungry and inhaled the food, and I've had a stressful couple of days. Seems to me it's more about how I eat, than what I eat. Is that true for others?

What is it about a cheese-less pizza that's a trigger for D? Tomato sauce is acidic, but does it cause D? I can usually eat tomato sauce with no problem.

Being IBS-D, if I have only one BM a day (rather than several), but the one is mushy, is that considered stable? I'd love to have a formed BM.

Thanks for your input!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having a D set-back...questions new
      #301683 - 03/07/07 09:49 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

You can do a post on "stable" or "stabalization" and you'll see that everyone has their own personal definition of stability. I was IBS-D when I started...attacks probably 3 times/week...pain..aches...chills..the whole kit and kaboodle! I consider myself stable now even though I have switched to being more on the c side and I'm working out kinks with gas and bms. One bm daily sounds fine but if you feel like you're still "vulnerable" which was how I felt as I went through this process, then you're probably not stable yet just on your way. The attacks are supposed to be few and far between to say that one is stable I think. It could have been your stress and yes, the "how" you ate the pizza...tomato sauce is tough for me but I can handle some now as long as I don't overdo it. Peppers and onions would kill me. Are you taking an SF supplement? That will help your stool to be more formed. Keep track of how often your attacks are and what might have triggered them and I would increase my SF to add bulk...just my thoughts. GOod luck.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#301696 - 03/07/07 11:18 AM
tanawana

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: youngstown, OH

Quote:

Okay, I can normally eat vegetarian pizza with no cheese, onions or peppers and be fine. Last night, tho, it triggered a very rumbly tummy followed by a D attack this morning. Now granted, I was really hungry and inhaled the food, and I've had a stressful couple of days. Seems to me it's more about how I eat, than what I eat. Is that true for others?

I'd love to have a formed BM.

Kinda similar to me Sunday night. I ate nothing that should have caused trouble - BUT, I ate too much and quicker than normal. I thought it at the time but continued. Big, big mistake. I paid for it.

And yes, a formed BM is on my wishlist too

Re: Having a D set-back...questions - line415 new
      #301700 - 03/07/07 12:14 PM
Digby

For an SF supplement I take 2 tsp of Acacia three times/day. How much do you take?

#301751 - 03/07/07 07:28 PM
line415

I had been taking 3 1/2 tsp daily but I reduced it a few weeks ago and now I'm down to only 1 3/4 tsp daily. I don't know if that was a mistake or not to decrease it, but I'm here now so I don't want to rollercoaster back up just yet. The thing is...I keep thinking about how Heather suggests to take just enough acacia (or other sf) until you stabalize. It seems a lot of people take large amounts but I have read posts that show some d'ers only take very small amounts like me. I am viewing it like if I was a C-IBSer to start out, I might need more, but as a reformed Der, maybe a smaller amount was enough to do the trick? Maybe someone else can comment. In other words, if I had stabalized on just 1 3/4tsp originally, I would have stopped increasing, but my diet and the fact that I started an SSRI seem to have impacted on getting stable too. IBS is such a mystery!! By the way I was okay today after eating all that cantaloupe!! I had lots of veggies tonight with lots of white rice though too...I couldn't help myself...I probably should not have eaten so much rice but I'm a carb/starch addict. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Keep me updated on how you do with the IF.

--------------------

#301756 - 03/07/07 07:38 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04

I was stable for about two years before I adopted some bad eating/lifestlye habits that led to my downfall... but when I WAS stable it would very what *kind* of BM I would have, but as long as it was one (or maybe more as long as there was no sense of *urgency*) I counted myself as stable.

Pretty much, if I dont have an attack of D out of nowhere and I can actually get a BM out in the morning rather than become C I consider that stable.

Also, if you can get in a car and not worry about if you have to potty is another indicator for me on stability

--------------------
-Sheri

#301777 - 03/08/07 07:16 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Re. tomatoes, YES. I have awful D problems with acidic foods like tomatoes and vinegar. About all I can tolerate is a little lemon in my tea. I replace tomatoes with roasted red peppers in my recipes. I also avoid salad dressings like the plague (which isn't really a problem, because I still don't handle salad well, either).

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#301785 - 03/08/07 08:38 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I wonder what is a good dosage of the Acacia for chronic D. I have been taking 2gm of citrucel caplets in am, followed with 6gm of Acacia, mixed in bottled water, 3gm in each bottle and drink both throughout the day, then before dinner I have 2gm of citrucel. I only continue the citrucel because I am still unsure on the Acacia, I've never had a problem with citrucel but it is sooo expensive for as much as I take. Now, I am still D, how much should I increase my Acacia throughout the day? I am guessing if I am still have horrible pain and D that I'm not getting enough SF....any sugestions?

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#301799 - 03/08/07 09:29 AM
Digby

Do you spread out the 1 3/4 tsp of Acacia throughout the day, or take it all at once? Thanks for your reply!

#301806 - 03/08/07 10:51 AM
line415

I spread out my acacia...now 3/4 tsp in am, 1/2 tsp in afternoon, and 1/2 tsp with dinner. That's really just a little bit in comparison to what most people take. I had been taking 1 1/4 tsp in am, 1 tsp in the afternoon, and 1 1/4 tsp. with dinner to stabalize. If you are still getting d, I would think you still need to increase. Read Heather's guidelines on how high you can go...but anything in between there is individualized.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2040 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review