All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sigmoidoscopy and the prep --how I did
      #300991 - 02/28/07 03:17 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Okay, it's not a colonoscopy, but I was still nervous about the test. I was prescribed a gallon of Colyte to drink as a prep. Being IBS-D, I thought that would be overkill for me, just for a sigmoidoscopy. The GI department insisted that I had to take it anyway. I decided to track down the doc who would be doing the procedure to ask her advice, being that I am petite and extremely sensitive to pharmaceuticals. I wanted to see what they prescribe for children or the elderly. Her nurse responded, saying that she didn't know why I was prescribed the Colyte. She suggested that I take Fleet Phosphosoda instead.

I researched the Fleet, and wasn't thrilled about that option either. I found only one posting on this website from someone who had a tolerable experience with the Phosphosoda (bless you, whomever you are!). I called the nurse back and said, "Can't I just take a couple of enemas?"

Which I did, and it worked fine. The doctor was impressed. I was on a restricted diet two days before (per the suggestion on the sticky note on the Chron's and Colitis message board--a very nurturing post), and a liquid diet 24 hours prior. I drank Smart Water (a delicious tasting water with electrolytes added), fruit popsicles (no sugar added), fat-free turkey broth (Shelton's organic), Metromint peppermint water, weak herbal tea, and ginger ale. I was starving. I felt weak from all this prep, but the test was quite tolerable. I have one small diverticuli (I already knew that). Otherwise, all clear.

Sometimes we have to stand up for ourselves with the medical profession, because we know our bodies best.

Bless you all for your kind support. This is a fabulous website.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sigmoidoscopy and the prep --how I did new
      #301132 - 03/01/07 01:10 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hey glad to hear your prep went good! Glad you investigated and ended up taking the enemas instead , good for you to stand up for yourself. Glad its over. take care..sue

Re: Sigmoidoscopy and the prep --how I did new
      #301212 - 03/01/07 11:17 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Great job on taking charge of your health and getting these tests done. I'm glad to hear you made it through your sigmoidoscopy.

Best wishes!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1066 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review