All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Just read this about colon cancer and women
      #300924 - 02/28/07 05:36 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Just thought I'd share this also, I jsut read that woman who read refined flour, pasta, rice and potatoes are at a much greater risk for getting colon cancer.........that is quite depressing since these items are a huge majority of what we all eat to keep our colons working properly, will this ever end???

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just read this about colon cancer and women new
      #300933 - 02/28/07 06:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Where did you read this?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I also saw this..... new
      #300934 - 02/28/07 06:48 AM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

I believe it was in Women's Health magazine. It may have been in other magazines also.

There aren't really many other options for us with IBS!! I know that I live off of white rice, bread & pasta.

Kristi

#300937 - 02/28/07 07:16 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

The American Colon Cancer Society I think here's a direct quote

Quote:

For Women
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know?
Colon cancer affects as many women as men.

Colon cancer is the third most diagnosed cancer in women- after breast and lung.

Colon cancer is called a silent disease and symptoms don't always develop until it is difficult to cure.

Women who have had breast cancer are at slightly higher risk for colon cancer.

Women who have had their gall bladder removed are at slightly higher risk.

Colon cancer has been linked to the "western diet" in women-a diet high in refined flour products, sweets, pastas, baked potatoes and red meat.

Hope this helps??? I'm not sure if I"m doing the quote properly... sorry

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Edited by LtDanFan (02/28/07 07:17 AM)

#300949 - 02/28/07 08:34 AM
Syl

Ah - I see.

The last comment you mentioned appears to arise from a study talked about on the American Cancer Society (ACS) web site.

Although the sensational headlines was ""Western" Diet Linked to Colon Cancer in Women" the study says
Quote:

The researchers assessed how closely each woman followed one of two dietary patterns. The "Western" pattern included large amounts of refined grains, processed and red meats, desserts, high-fat dairy products, and French fries. The other pattern, which the researchers termed "prudent," consisted of more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, poultry, and fish.

The prudent diet is very much in line with the EFI diet guidelines.

It is important to note the final comments by the ACS
Quote:

Diet may be only one part of the overall picture in reducing colorectal cancer risk.

Until researchers are better able to pinpoint exactly how certain factors affect the way colon cancer develops, the American Cancer Society recommends making the best use of current knowledge to lower your risk. This includes increasing the intensity and duration of physical activity, eating more fruits and vegetables, limiting intake of red meats, avoiding obesity, and avoiding excessive alcohol consumption

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

The article I was thinking of referred to kidney cancer: new
      #300967 - 02/28/07 12:44 PM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

This was in Women's Health - March 2007

Excessive consumption of refined carbohydrates can increase your risk of kidney cancer, according to a study in the International Journal of Cancer. Scientists compared the diets of 767 kidney cancer patients and 1,534 healthy people and found that patients who ate the most white bread (7 ounces or more daily) were almost twice as likely to have kidney cancer as those who ate 3.5 ounces or less. People who ate 2 or more cups of white pasta were one-third more likely to have the cancer than those who ate half that much. White bread, pasta and other refined carbs cause glucose and insulin levels in the blood to rise quickly, and insulin plays a key role in the development of kidney cancer. So replace the white stuff with whole grains like bulgur, barley & oats.

Re: The article I was thinking of referred to kidney cancer: new
      #300977 - 02/28/07 01:41 PM
Syl

There is an overview of the article here.

The overview goes on to say
Quote:

While the study was limited by the fact that the interviewers who gathered each participant's information and administered the food questionnaire were not blind to case-control status, its strengths include the large sample size and the reproducibility and validity of diet information.

"Our results confirm that diet may play a role on the risk of RCC, and in particular, a moderate cereal and high vegetable consumption may have a favorable effect on this neoplasm," the authors conclude.

Reference
Bravi, F. et. al (2006): Food groups and renal cell carcinoma: A case-control study from Italy, International Journal of Cancer, vol 120, No 3, Pages 681 - 685.

Abstract
Although nutrition and diet have been related to renal cell carcinoma (RCC), the role of specific foods or nutrients on this cancer is still controversial. We evaluated the relation between a wide range of foods and the risk of RCC in an Italian case-control study including 767 patients (494 men and 273 women) younger than 79 years with incident, histologically confirmed RCC, and 1,534 controls (988 men and 546 women) admitted to the same hospitals as cases for a wide spectrum of acute, non-neoplastic conditions, not related to long term diet modifications. A validated and reproducible food frequency questionnaire, including 78 foods and beverages, plus a separate section on alcohol drinking, was used to assess patients' dietary habits 2 years before diagnosis or hospital admission. Multivariate odds ratios (OR) were obtained after allowance for energy intake and other major confounding factors. A significant direct trend in risk was found for bread (OR = 1.94 for the highest versus the lowest intake quintile), and a modest excess of risk was observed for pasta and rice (OR = 1.29), and milk and yoghurt (OR = 1.27). Poultry (OR = 0.74), processed meat (OR = 0.64) and vegetables (OR = 0.65) were inversely associated with RCC risk. No relation was found for coffee and tea, soups, eggs, red meat, fish, cheese, pulses, potatoes, fruits, desserts and sugars. The results of this study provide further indications on dietary correlates of RCC, and in particular indicate that a diet rich in refined cereals and poor in vegetables may have an unfavorable role on RCC.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1893 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 867

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review