All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Z pack (Zithromax)
      #30092 - 12/04/03 06:53 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I just started this antibiotic today strep throat!!) and it's giving me bad stomach cramps and diarrhea. Anyone else have the same problem with this? Any suggestions for what I could eat along with it to help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Z pack (Zithromax) new
      #30114 - 12/04/03 08:12 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Ugh, Zithromax...Student Health's antibiotic of choice for the four years I was in college...this is one you must take with food, or it will make you nauseated. As for the diarrhea, I'd add in soy yogurt with active cultures to keep those oh-so-important probiotics in your gut where they're needed. Finally, if you're really ill, call your doc and see what s/he has to say....

#30129 - 12/05/03 04:28 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I took this with no problems a couple times --- but it does have to be taken with food... I preferred a good stable source of insoluble fiber.....and I wasn't skimpy. French bread was my fav choice. I LOVED using it the Z pack because instead of taking tons of pills you were done fast. I have asthma and every cold I get tends to develope into bronchitus or worse..... This worked to kick the infection and didn't trigger my IBS.

#30133 - 12/05/03 06:13 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Thanks for your replies! I took the first 2 pills with food, but it still had me doubled over in pain and running to the bathroom. I sent my husband to the store last night for yogurt and that calmed my stomach down.
The pain was so intense in my throat last night that I couldn't sleep. Can a person die of a sore throat? I was afraid to take any pain medication with my tummy being so unstable but finally couldn't stand it any longer. Got up at 1:30 a.m., headed for the kitchen for some bread, and took Tylenol. (It didn't help much. Shouldn've taken Advil but thought it would start the diarrhea again.)
It's terrible when you're having to make a choice---stomach cramps and diarrhea or intense throbbing throat pain!!!!
This has got to end.

#30888 - 12/09/03 07:29 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

If, heaven forbid, your throat is still bothering you, try gargling with warm salt water (I know, it's gross, but it works). Also, Traditional Medicinals makes a tea called Throat Coat. It contains licorice root, slippery elm bark, marshmallow root, wild cherry bark, bitter fennel seed, Chinese cinnamon bark, and sweet orange peel. If you're sensitive to licorice, it might cause diarrhea, but I'm IBS-C, so I've never had a problem (and I grew up drinking this stuff).

#30893 - 12/09/03 07:42 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A long time ago a dear friend of the family who is a doctor (now retired) told me how to take antibiotics.

What you need to do is drink a large amount of water when you take the antibiotic. This moves the antibiotic swiftly through your GI tract and stomach and reduces the amount of discomfort (diarrhea, etc.) that you will experience. I assume this advice applies to all antibiotics -- unless, of course, the medication prohibits the drinking of water.

I've told some non-IBS people about this approach and all have told me their discomfort was greatly reduced when they drank a glass or two of water along with the antibiotic.

By the way, I get diarrhea and stomach cramps whenever I have to take an antibiotic.

Hope this remedy helps.

Belinda

#30919 - 12/09/03 11:22 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

I don't think any antibiotic should have these effects on anyone. The Dr. should change it to something that agrees w/you. My Dr. gave it to me just before Tksgiving and it made my lips swell and tongue and my tongue felt like it hd cuts in it. It is still not back to normal. Tksgiving dinner was horrible tasting and it hurt to eat. Had to be on cool soup!!!!!! Food still not tasting good! So...Fri. nite, when I knew whe was gone for the wkend, I called the service and the Dr. put me on Levaquin and I finally started feeling better!!!!!!!!!!

I'm way past fed up w/Drs. Feel most could care less!!!!!!! You have to fight for what you NEED!!!!!!!!!

Marnie

#30938 - 12/10/03 07:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Probiotics! the yogurt is helping because of the acidophilus, bifodus, and other active live cultures. I would take a probiotic...but it needs to be several hours apart from the antibioic. If you want more info. on this, let me know! HTH...and feel better soon!

*hugs*
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5845

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review