All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
milk
      #300911 - 02/27/07 07:37 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Please don't chop my head off. I totally know that dairy is not recommended, but I see through the search that some of you do drink milk on occassion after you are stable. I feel that I am stable and I am REALLY missing my cold cereal with milk. I just cannot get used to the taste of all the alternatives (yes, tried them all...soy, oat, rice, almond)...I like the chocolate versions but that's it. I have been completely avoiding dairy since October except for a few holiday cheats and maybe literally a bite or two of "real" pizza. I do seem to be able to tolerate "rice shreds" which are made with some casein. I just really miss having cold cereal with milk, as I eat oatmeal almost daily or change it up with a bagel or something.

For those of you who are stable and DO tolerate some milk, how much do you drink? How often and any adverse affects? I would LOVE to try just having a bowl of cold cereal with Lactaid about twice/week (yes...I know...still dairy!!! ..I drank this for years even though I found out I'm not lactose intolerant).

I don't want to play with fire...I'm doing really well...was IBS-D and now no d...just some bloating and some c days and maybe a following day with multiple bms to "empty" myself. I adjust my diet and IF according to my bms (and stress). Anyhow, any input would be appreciated. If I have an adverse reaction after a week or so, it won't make me totally unstable, right?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: milk new
      #300913 - 02/27/07 07:41 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

If you do decide to eat and drink milk products don't be surprised if your IBS gets progressively worse as time goes on. Sometimes you don't feel bad right away, sometimes you just progressively feel bad.

#300919 - 02/28/07 04:08 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Hmmm, well, I drink milk all the time. It does not bother me as long as it is fat free. If it has some fat, it bothers me... not sure why, but it seems like milk fat (butter) is more of a trigger than other kinds of fat... or maybe I just tend to use more than other kinds of fat? I am unsure...

Anyway, I am not lactose intollerant as per my doctor (who also has IBS) and she said if it's FF it should be fine.

Also, there seems to be no research confirming that cassein/whey are bothersome for IBSers (or others, excluding those with dairy alergies, I mean)

Thus, I think the whole dairy avoidance craze is a little overinflated. Yes, it needs to be FF. It would also help if it's lactose free just to make sure... But the rest? Everyone claims it with such certainty and that claim seems to only be based on anecdotal evidence... meaning the data is questionable. Forgive me, but I'm a mathematician, I deal with data all the time and I try to apply the same rigor to my IBS as I do to my studies, when time permits. I do not consider the claim that dairy (when FF and lactose free) should be avoided at all times a correct statement. I think that's just another one of the personal things...

That being said, it could be that you are bothered with dairy. I was scared to add it to my diet too... If it wasn't for my doctor, I would probably not have added it back... although I used to be addicted to it.

What I did: I started with some Bulgarian or Greek feta cheese (goat cheese) to see whether I can do well with that and I did OK. Then I switched to sheep, still OK. Sheeps cheese is high in fat, so I was making sure I don't eat as much as I would eat in the past. I knew that cows milk is worse than those two, but I didn't know where to buy cows milk feta cheese (not in the states, I mean) so, I just added it to some cold cereal, and I tend to just soak the cereal and then eat it and throw away the remaining milk (it's gross to me). Very little milk... gradually increased...

Now that I am stabilized, I eat my morning oatmeal with milk. I am usually OK (excluding yesterday, when I tried steel cut oats and they seem to have been the problem). Since I can tollerate it first thing in the morning, I consider it a safe food. I did not go back to the same amounts of milk products I used to eat before (and processed cheeses are a problem for me anyway), but I don't avoid it. The reason I didn't go back to the old amounts, though, is that I started eating more things that are more healthy and more yummy so I don't need to fill myself up with cheese any more, LOL.

It is very dangerous, though, if you do it too fast. You could not be sensitive to dairy, but since you haven't had it for so long, it could shock your system if you tried it like a whole glas at a time. I'd try a smaller amount. And then up it a little. Or try some goat milk products (goat milk is gentler) and sheep milk products (still gentler than cows) first.

Let me know if I missed something. I don't want to argue with people over this, because I know dairy avoidance is a religeous issue on this board, and I don't have time for lengthy discussions. I did it for quite a while too (avoiding dairy) so I know how scary it seems at first. Our bodies seem to be so much more complicated than we know so we are scared to not add something that could harm them even if the probability is low. However, if you consider the other alternatives, it seems you might be better off forgetting about dairy alternatives completely, unless you only drink almond milk (soy - controversial, probably harmful; rice milk - bad for C; oat milk - tastes gross at least to me)... We do not have enough data (and probably won't have in our lifetimes) so we either need to try things out, or stay safe and not try anything.

Last note: You are stable, right? If you are still not stable, though, don't do this, because you won't know if dairy bothers you...

#300925 - 02/28/07 05:37 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I am lactose intolorant as well as IBS-D, so on the rare occasions I have dairy, its always lactaid (milk or icecream) and its 2% ( i don't like the completely fat free). I do not have it very often, but when i do, I take digestive enzyme supplements with it, just in case, and I haven't noticed any problems. Even with the lactaid icecream. Also, I can tolerate a small slice of pizza if I take the enzymes and a lactaid pill, and eat it after a soluble fiber base (I'm too nervous to eat it without the SF base) Also, I was eating cereal with lactaid milk even when I wasn't stable and I didn't get worse, so I'm sure if you ARE stable, and its only a couple times a week, you should be fine.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#300929 - 02/28/07 06:23 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I get very confused on this one, when I am stable I have fat free lactaid in my oatmeal and cereal and do not have any immediate problems. However, I did read the post before mine and saw that you may not have problems right away....so I am confused. I was told to do the lactose test, get stable then eat a big bowl of cottage cheese or drink some milk, I am NOT brave enough to try that, but I do drink the lactaid and I thought I was doing ok with it, but after being stable for weeks and then I have an attack, I am not sure what is causing it...I guess it could be the lactaid, however I do not have it everyday, I never just drink a glass of milk....Stupid IBS

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

2% vs FF milk new
      #300930 - 02/28/07 06:25 AM
Jeio

I used to be the same with FF milk. I found an organic milk in our store, that tastes better than the FF milk I was trying to get used to at first. The original one just looked as if they took normal milk and diluted it with water until the concentration of fat went below 0.5 percent daily value so they could list it as 0 on the nutrition facts label.

The organic one is better, although I am pretty sure the fact it's organic has nothing to do with it, it's just tastier milk.

It's called Horizon Organic Milk and comes in a red carton. If you can find it, give it a try FF is really safer, and it's better for your general health, LOL (butter's not a very healthy thing, you know, although it is very tasty)

#300931 - 02/28/07 06:34 AM
Jeio

Well... it's hard...

I just had an "attack" yesterday, but it was the steel cut oats in the morning. That was a no brainer, since that was the only thing I changed in my diet. Stupid me thought since it was oats, it must still be safe.

I do not recommend the strategy with the cottage cheese, sounds like someone was making a joke... Maybe I didn't get it? Forgive me, I'm bad with humor

It could be the lactaid that caused your attack, but if it didn't cause problems before, it's probably not it... If you can't find what caused it, the effect might be combined (a couple of things causing it). Did you change lots of things in your diet lately? Or maybe were anxious (I have attacks while sitting for exams ALWAYS, because of the anxiety)? Or maybe had some food that doesn't go with itself? For example, my mother always sais you should not have milk and fish at the same time (no we are not jewish and they do that with meat), because it's bad for your stomach. Not sure where she got that, but milk and fish taste gross together anyway.

You never know with this IBS thing... You can try leaving the Lactaid out for awhile until you stabilize and try it again... the best way to know is if it doesn't bother you in the morning. If it doesn't bother you then, then most probably it won't be a problem and something else is. If you try some other time, it could bother you, but because you already had a buffer of safe food in your stomach/bowels, you might not find out...

Read this new
      #300932 - 02/28/07 06:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: milk/ FF real milk more lactose new
      #300938 - 02/28/07 07:22 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Actually the cottage cheese thing was recommended by someone on this board and a GI doctor. It's supposed to be a illumination type thing to see if you have a problem or not. I was under the impression if the lactaid milk was supposed to be a trigger it would happen soon after you drink it. This is the ONLY milk related product I use and use it sparingly. I have never had an attack soon after or even hours after using it. Now, last night when I had my attack, I had some soy cheese and I do think that is a trigger, but I have had it before, without a problem....see this is where it gets so confusing. I also read in the past in a book about irriable bowel and lactose intolerance that FF real milk has more lactose in it then 1 or 2%.....

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: 2% vs FF milk new
      #300942 - 02/28/07 07:38 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Thanks, I'll start using that. We used to drink that all the time, we use mostly organic if we can help it. Organic eggs, organic fruits and veggies when we can find them. So the milk will definitely be added back on the grocery list. One question though, is it lactose-free? Because I am lactose intollerent. I guess it doesn't really matter though, I can take lactaid pills. Thanks again

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51312

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review