All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Rice milk does NOT cause C! new
      #301005 - 02/28/07 04:21 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

Today I am feeling sooo gassy after having a good bm this morning (oatmeal & raisins), turkey on white with two slices of tomato for lunch, 3/4 of luna bar.

Yes, soy gives me gas, too, but raisins are MUCH worse for me than soy! My guess would be the raisins did it.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Raisins cause gas??? new
      #301006 - 02/28/07 04:23 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Lisa Marie...wow...never even gave it a second thought that the raisins could be causing gas. Do they cause bloating too? I have been adding them much more liberally to my oatmeal lately to be sure I have a bm before leaving the house. Ironically, I did not feel so gassy after breakfast...mostly started after lunch. Wouldn't it have started right away? Or was it coupled with the luna bar? I forgot to take a beano before eating it. Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Raisins cause gas??? new
      #301007 - 02/28/07 04:28 PM
Lisa Marie

If something I ate gives me gas, I typically get the gas 6-8 hours after I ate it. Raisins, as well as plums, prunes, grapes, and most dried fruit, gives me REALLY bad gas and bloating. It bums me out, too, cuz I really like Heather's stuffing recipe, but the dried apricots give me gas, too!!

I'd leave out the raisins for a few days and see if that helps.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

How long have you been trying? new
      #301008 - 02/28/07 04:29 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

"(which by the way I still have NOT made it to 30 days stable)"

How long have you been trying to stabilize? Not trying to be discouraging to anyone, but I, like you, have been having a hard time regardless of how well I follow the diet and how hard I think I'm trying.

#301010 - 02/28/07 04:32 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thank you so much for the heads up. I never even thought of them as a culprit!! I will try some fruit instead tomorrow as my IF with my oatmeal. Interesting that the effect wouldn't take place for some hours later. Thanks again.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#301012 - 02/28/07 04:51 PM
Lisa Marie

No problem!! I guess if you allow 4-6 hours for the food to leave your stomach and enter the intestines, it would make sense for it to take 6-8 hours for the gas to occur. I mean, the gas is formed IN the intestines, right? Anyway, that's how MY body seems to work, LOL!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Rice milk does NOT cause C! new
      #301013 - 02/28/07 05:05 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The idea that rice milk causes C comes from 1 or 2 posters. In probably 99.9% of the cases, it does not cause C. For the odd one maybe it might. The exception should not be considered the norm, and people who are C should not be scared away from soemthing that could be or is very good for them.

Re: How long have you been trying?Diane M new
      #301018 - 02/28/07 05:58 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi DianeM,
I have had IBS for 20 years, but in the past 6 years I have not been able to stabilize for longer then 27 or 28 days and for the past 3 1/2 I've been on the EFI diet....hope that helps, it's very discouraging

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

This is ridiculous! new
      #301019 - 02/28/07 06:00 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I can't touch milk anymore. I do not have a milk allergy and I'm not lactose intolerant. Yes, I've been tested. I'm sensitive to soy if I get too much. I have learned to like rice milk in my cereal and I have never had a problem with making my C worse than it already is. I'm not one to down a glass of milk but I can't give up my cereal and once in awhile I like to have something with a cookie and rice milk seems to hit the spot.

I really think it's a bad idea for people to recommend trying milk (even fat free) or the yogurt from earlier posts because it's obviously causing confusion...especially with newer people that have not given the EFI diet a real chance.

This board was advice for those following the EFI diet. Suggesting that it's okay to try it after someone is stable, isn't good advice. I understand the desire...but many who really want to try these things are the ones newest to the diet and are still working through some of their issues. As anyone who has been on the diet for any length of time knows that some of the hardest things to give up are the ones that prove to be the worst for them and/or become easier to give up the longer you're away from them.

If you want to really stabilize, follow the EFI diet to a tee. Add one food back in at a time. It's hard but for most of us that have been here for awhile, it's worked. Don't give up and don't cheat. After you've been at it for 6 months or so and you're feeling good, you may choose to try some of the "trigger" foods or you may decide that you feel so good that chancing it just isn't worth it.

If you're still not stable and still incorporating dairy in your diet, you might want to really think about that. For some people, the reaction is not immediate. That may really be your problem as much as you don't want it to be.

I don't get into the big debates on this board because of all the defensiveness and/or so-called medical authority some people here have. I often feel like no matter what anyone says, there's someone who can pull stats from the internet to prove otherwise. If you want to believe everything you read on the internet, feel free....but think about the reason you're here. Are you here to learn more about the EFI diet and get support from people here who have been through the same and have had success or would you rather listen to someone who can quote something from Google?

I can only speak from my experience but I think it's ridiculous encouraging people to experiment with the dairy. If it works for you, great. Consider yourself lucky, count your blessings....but don't give advice against the EFI diet here.

Sheesh.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: Rice milk does NOT cause C!Lisa
      #301020 - 02/28/07 06:01 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

How is the taste? (of the rice milk)

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 963 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51840

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review