All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Thank you for all your responses... new
      #300954 - 02/28/07 10:22 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thank you everyone for so many responses. I guess I will weigh what everyone said and then tread cautiously. I'd hate to ruin a good thing (yes, I'm stable). Interesting scientific points and facts about the ingredients and fat free. I didn't realize that 1% and fat free are really that different but now I know. Thank you.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: milk (message for Jeio) new
      #300957 - 02/28/07 11:01 AM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

Quote:

Hmmm, well, I drink milk all the time. It does not bother me as long as it is fat free. If it has some fat, it bothers me... not sure why, but it seems like milk fat (butter) is more of a trigger than other kinds of fat... or maybe I just tend to use more than other kinds of fat? I am unsure...

I'm also very confused about the milk thing. I have porridge made with milk and hot chocolate almost every day and since starting the EFI diet I have avoided cow's milk in favour of soy or rice milk because the impression I got from this board is that most of you avoid dairy like the plague! I am mainly using rice milk now as I had a funny episode with soy milk not so long ago...but I have heard a few times on the board that this can have a constipating effect...although I am still unsure as to why this is. I am IBS-C (major!!)
Jeio, are you IBS-C? And would I be right in thinking that cow's milk mainly affects IBS-D ers? Surely if cow's milk has a D effect then it might actually help my problem as long as it's FF and I don't overdo it??
I feel so confused...and I'm worrying that by avoiding cow's milk in favour of rice milk, maybe I'm just making my C even worse?!

Rice milk does NOT cause C! new
      #300968 - 02/28/07 12:47 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Rice milk does not cause C; I drink it several times a day, and I feel way better than when I used to drink soy milk, which just gave me gas.

The slightest hint of milk or milk proteins in anything I eat gives me MAJOR problems. It is my biggest trigger food, followed closely by fat. I'm not 100% stable, but close. I do NOT have a milk allergy or lactose intolerance; just IBS. I used to eat rice cheese (thinking it was safe) and couldn't figure out why it made me so gassy and bloated; it's the casein. I always thought lactaid pills helped me, too, before the EFI diet, but now I think that my system was just so out of whack because of all the bad-for-IBS things I was eating that it was impossible to tell what food caused what reaction.

Read what Heather has to say about milk consumption in her EFI book; it really doesn't help your body at all. You'd be doing yourself a favor by cutting it out of your diet completely.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Thank you for all your responses... new
      #300971 - 02/28/07 12:58 PM
moon01064

Reged: 02/16/06

I know, from trail and error, that I personally do not tolerate whole milk (cow milk) I was also having issues with Lactaid Milk...so I moved on to Soy Milk which, at this point, I am not sure if it's ok or not. I have to give it a few more tries. Sometimes I feel ok after having it, sometimes I don't. But perhaps it's not the milk and something else....you never know sometimes...it's a guessing game....Any suggestions as to what I should try????? Is Soy Light Milk any better....any brand of Soy Milk that is lighter and lower in fat perhaps....I don't know....I LOVE MILK AND CEREAL....and I miss having it....any thoughts would be great!!!

Re: Rice milk does NOT cause C! new
      #300976 - 02/28/07 01:39 PM
moon01064

Reged: 02/16/06

I am trying to switch from Soy Milk (which I feel gives me some problems) to Rice Milk but I am afraid because I don't tolerate Brown Rice...isn't Rice Milk made from Brown rice...

#300978 - 02/28/07 01:45 PM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

Quote:

Rice milk does not cause C; I drink it several times a day, and I feel way better than when I used to drink soy milk, which just gave me gas.

Read what Heather has to say about milk consumption in her EFI book; it really doesn't help your body at all. You'd be doing yourself a favor by cutting it out of your diet completely.

Not sure if this was meant for me but I am going to reply anyway, lol! I have read Heather's EFI book and I understand what she is saying which is why I have cut out all dairy from my diet (although the only dairy I really had was semi-skimmed cow's milk). I am confused as to where this idea about rice milk causing C came from....? If rice is SF, surely rice milk should be classed as SF too??

#300983 - 02/28/07 02:26 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I agree with everyone. This is very confusing. Like I said, I am not a milk drinker, as in drink a glass,etc. I do love my cereal though. I do "think" soy gives me rumblies and gas, and from what I understand rice milk is from brown rice and from what I have read on the board the outer part of the brown rice is IF and the inside SF.....so where that puts rice milk I have no idea. I do have a question if anyone knows about the soy milk that is refrigerated and the ones that just sit on shelf not refrigerated until you open them???? I "was" stable for 2-3 weeks before I tried dairy ease, and I used a small amount in my morning oatmeal or in cereal and have been doing this a couple times a week with no problems.....my huge attack last night (which by the way I still have NOT made it to 30 days stable), I have absolutely no idea what was the trigger yesterday except I had some soy cheese shreaded in some cooked rice and safe vegies cooked to almost mush and I added a little of the soy cheese for some "excitement"....I'm sorry I get sooo depressed about IBS, I know there are people that get stable and get used to eating the way we do, but I just get tired of it, I know cheating is not worth an attack, but when you feel you've eaten safely and had no triggers and STILL have an attack, that is what is so depressing....

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#301001 - 02/28/07 04:13 PM
Lisa Marie

Well, yes, it is made from brown rice, but so is white rice!! Remember that it's a LIQUID; your body really doesn't have to do anything to break it down and digest it. Soy milk gave me too much gas and "rumblies", but rice milk is great and gives me no problems whatsoever. I also use rice protein powder every morning which is also made from brown rice. Don't let the brown rice part scare you - give it a shot and let your body decide!

Pacific brand makes the creamiest low fat rice milk ever! And the vanilla flavor is SO YUMMY! Rice milk tends to be thinner than soy or regular milk, but Pacific definitely has the creamiest, most milk-like texture.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#301002 - 02/28/07 04:16 PM
Lisa Marie

It was sorta for everyone. In her book, Heather talks about how drinking milk, culturally regarded as a necessary calcium source, actually DEPLETES your body of calcium in the end. I can't remember how she explains it, but I've read that elsewhere, too. Interesting, eh?!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Rice milk does NOT cause C!
      #301003 - 02/28/07 04:19 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

All I can say is that too much soy gives me gas. I drink soyfee daily so if I have anything else that day with soy as a replacement, I have to make it small. Even if I eat a whole Luna Bar I get gassy. I was drinking soy milk in my oatmeal just for the nutrition but then I switched to water. Yes...for me some reason the rice milk was giving me some c....I'm sure it's like everything else...personal. It may be fine for others. Today I am feeling sooo gassy after having a good bm this morning (oatmeal & raisins), turkey on white with two slices of tomato for lunch, 3/4 of luna bar. I wonder if it is b/c last night I had tofu filled ravioli so all the soy stuff is catching up to me? UGH...I hate IBS too. Such a guessing game. It seems we are all confused and on different pages about milk and milk products. Makes me rethink the rice shreds I was eating (had some Sunday on homemade pizza). Not often but it's only two days later so maybe that's where the gas comes in. I need to watch more closely. I'm going to hold off on trying any Lactaid milk!!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review