All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question about smoothies
      #300429 - 02/21/07 03:56 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I have a question. I make my smoothies in my vita-mix, and they come out very creamy, but full of air bubbles. Will the air bubbles upset my stomach? I've been really careful with the smoothies, only having a tiny bit at a time, and after a soluble fiber snack, like tonight I ate a plate of rice before having half a mug of smoothie. Also, what kinds of fruits are tolerable in a smoothie? Anything? Or will like citrus fruits still give me problems? Usually my mom makes smoothies with the following: pineapple, pears, kiwi, peaches, some grapes, strawberries, papaya and/or mangoes, apples, and grape juice concentrate, and also a scoop of soy protein powder. Is this ok? I'm always so nervous to try smoothies because I'm afraid the fruit and the air bubbles will give me problems.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about smoothies new
      #300430 - 02/21/07 04:07 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I make my smoothies in a blender and don't notice air bubbles. The air bubbles, I suppose, could give you gas.

I make smoothies with rice milk or soy milk as a base (vanilla flavored or regular - can also use oatmeal or almond milk), soy yogurt, rice or soy protein powder, a bannana and some frozen fruit (like peaches, cherries or blueberries - organic if possible). If I've been eating too much soy and it's giving me problems, I stick to the rice milk. Juices are too sweet for my taste.

#300448 - 02/21/07 06:25 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Ha-haaa... well, do these bubbles go away when you stir the smoothie and leave it sit for awhile? Tried that?

The thing that you should worry about in a smoothie like that is IF content rather than air bubbles. Those air bubbles are hardly going to cause more problems than the air you'd swallow while drinking the smoothie anyway (or a glas of water, or whatever else). Unless of course the smootie maker carbonates them... don't know if a Vita-Mix would.

What liquid does your mom use for the smoothies?

#300478 - 02/22/07 04:22 AM
oldestofseven

Hahaha I've tried that, doesn't work. Lol I even tried popping some of the bubbles with toothpick lol, it was amusing but obviously didn't do much good LOL.

I always tell her to base the smoothies on the fruits that are SF, like apples, pears, peaches ( I don't have trouble with them, don't know if they are on the IF or SF list), and mangoes/papaya, and then add in some of the other fruits. The only liquid we ever use is water. Except sometimes we'll add a bit of fruit juice too, but only if I'm not going to drink it lol.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#300482 - 02/22/07 05:47 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My smoothies usually contain: 1 cup of soy milk or a container of flavored soy yogurt (usually strawberry or key lime), one banana, a squirt of honey, and sometimes, a half cup of peaches or a splash of OJ. Mango is good, too, but I don't usually have any around.

Too much citrus gives me problems. I had a really bad experience with a half cup of mandarin oranges two years ago, so I'm really wary of citrus, even though I'm stable now.

The air bubble don't give me problems.

#300486 - 02/22/07 06:20 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Cool, popping them with a toothpick. That would be something to try out, LOL.

Does the Vita-Mix manual say anything about carbonation?

Also, to confirm, stirring the thing and leaving it sit awhile, then stirring again, does not get rid of most of the bubbles? They must be real resilient bubbles then, LOL.

#300487 - 02/22/07 06:49 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

They are air bubbles not GAS bubbles. You should be fine. Add some peanut butter to the banana smoothie. Its good.

#300509 - 02/22/07 11:04 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I would try one fruit at a time if I were you. Make a smoothie using soy/rice milk (or water), a banana, and one IF fruit (pretty much anything except bananas and mangoes). That way you can see how your body reacts to each IF fruit. Personally, the grapes would do me in; I can't handle grapes, raisins, plums, etc.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Swallowing air can give you gas new
      #300520 - 02/22/07 12:13 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

That's the point I was making. But these particular bubbles in your smoothie might not cause any problems.

smoothies new
      #300527 - 02/22/07 03:27 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I use a blender and put in primarily bananas with either frozen blueberries or strawberries. I'm a bit scared to go the citrus route, as oj does not fare well with my system. I use water or almond milk when I have had a lot of soy that day too to prevent gas. No bubbles...but I do put it on "ice crush" b/c the fruit is frozen. Enjoy!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#300614 - 02/23/07 02:25 PM
oldestofseven

Thats a good idea, thanks. I'll try that. We usually have basically every fruit available, so it'll be easy experimenting. I just don't like the bananas in smoothies, but I guess I'll get used to it, like everything else I've started eating since the IBS diet lol. (I never used to like tea, or bananas, or soy milk)

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3779 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review