All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Replacement for Gatorade?
      #300357 - 02/20/07 07:33 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I used to drink Gatorade a lot after particularly bad episodes of D, but stopped after finding out it contained triggers. It seemed to help replenish my system. Does anyone know of anything similar that is IBS-safe?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Replacement for Gatorade? new
      #300359 - 02/20/07 07:40 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I'm not sure..but you could look into drinks like pedialite for kids. They are similar to gatorade they have the same basic concept behind them...to rehydrate...but they might not have all the Trigger ingrediants...agian I am not sure though

#300378 - 02/21/07 05:58 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Are you worried about th HFCS in gatorade or something else? What are the triggers that you stopped drinking it for (sorry, never had gatorade so I don't know much about it)

#300382 - 02/21/07 07:03 AM
DianeM

I normally drink grape or orange, and below are the ingredients to each. Can you tell me if there is a trigger included in the ingredients? Maybe I'm avoiding too many things.

Grape: water, sucrose syrup, glucose/fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium, phosphate, ester gum, blue 1, red 40, sunflower oil.
Orange: Water, Sucrose Syrup, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Citric Acid, Natural Orange Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Monopotassium Phosphate, Yellow No. 6, Ester Gum, Brominated Vegetable Oil.

#300389 - 02/21/07 09:22 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I had no idea they put OIL in Gatorade. That's incredible...

That's what I can say about the ingredients
- sucrose syrup = sugar syrup, must be safe, as sugar is safe
- glucose/fructose syrup = HFCS, that's probably safe unless you are sensitive to fructose... and depending on what quantities you want to consume, LOL
- citric acid - could be a problem if you have GERD, but you have to try whether it causes reflux for you, as it could be in too small a concentration.
- flavors - probably won't be a problem since they are in extremely small quantities
- oils - they are the last ingredient listed, so I assume they are in small amounts. Does it list any fat in the nutrition facts label?
- the rest, well, I don't know enough about the coloring stuff and the Sodium Citrate & Potassium phosphate, so I can't tell.

Since they are not carbonated (a trigger), maybe you should try them... unless you know you have some kind of fructose sensitivity, I mean. As far as I know Gatorade is not very sweet, so even the HFCS must be much less than in Coke and Sprite...

--J

#300409 - 02/21/07 12:18 PM
DianeM

There are 0g of fat. The HFCS is what I was worried about. I'm not sure if I have a fructose sensitivity, but I removed it from my diet when I started the IBS diet a couple of months ago, and it seemed to help. Of course, I took a lot of other things out of my diet as well, so I can't be sure which removal helped. I was eating a ton of stuff containing HFCS. Is there a tolerence test for fructose?

#300411 - 02/21/07 12:21 PM
DianeM

It's funny you suggested that. A girl at work (who has several young children and knows nothing about IBS) suggested I try Pedialite the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it's worth looking into.

Fructose malabsorption test new
      #300417 - 02/21/07 02:28 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is a breath test for fructose malabsorption. However, it is not readily available. There is a good description of it in this article . The difficulty with the breath test is that a negative result does not mean you are not a fructose malabsorber.

The most reliable way to find out is to reduce your fructose intake and see if your IBS symptoms decrease or return when you increase you fructose intake. This can be difficult to do especially for those people who enjoy sweet foods. Fructose is the sweetness known natural sugar. About twice as sweet as white sugar. We can crave it

It is important thing to note that everyone suffers from fructose malabsorption after eating large amounts of fructose. About 80% of people can handle more than 50 grams in a single serving. About 10% of people experience IBS like symptoms (gas, bloating, D, etc) when they eat between 5 -10 grams of fructose. There is about 5 grams (1 tsp) of fructose in a 12 oz can of cola.

When you are stable if you can eat 1/2 an apples or pear or 100 grams of papaya then your GI system can handle 5 grams of fructose. There are more details about how to calculate this in this message

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#300452 - 02/21/07 06:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Glaceau vitamin water might be good for you. I don't know the electrolite count but it contains vitamins and is IBS safe (except for the one with caffeine in it).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#300456 - 02/21/07 07:10 PM
DianeM

Is this something you can find in your local grocery, or do you have to go to a HFS?

#300459 - 02/21/07 08:02 PM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

Try Blue Sky - Blue Sport....I've been drinking a lot of that since I am training for a half marathon. I picked it out because it does not have high fructose corn syrup in it. That seems to be a trigger for me. I first found it at an organic foods store, but then I found it later at just a local supermarket. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Kathy

#300612 - 02/23/07 01:51 PM
helper

Reged: 02/20/07

I don't know if it's "safe" or not but it is the best Gatorade type product on the market. Gookingaid.......www.gookinaid.com

#300652 - 02/24/07 09:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I tried to sort this out a while back and came up with this. It might help or it might just confuse you more but as you'll see I don't think the glucose-fructose syrup in Gatorade is the same as HFCS.

There is a recipe on the Recipe Board for a sports drink here. The orange juice in it does contain fructose but it's diluted by a lot of water. Unfortunately, it's one of those things you'll just have to try to see if you can tolerate it.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

glucose-fructose in Canada new
      #300662 - 02/24/07 12:21 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sand,

The labelling of HFCS in Canada is confusing too.

The 'glucose-fructose' label in Canada means "glucose syrups and isomerized glucose syrups, singly or in combination, where the fructose fraction does not exceed 60 percent of the sweetener on a dry basis."

HFCS-42% and HFCS-55% both qualify as glucose-fructose under the Canadian labeling laws. If there is more than 60% fructose by weight it has to be labelled as 'fructose syup'.

See Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 2003 Guide to Food Labelling and Advertising for more information.

There is a good discussion of HFCS labelling problem at the Sugar Association web site.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

NT - Powdered Gatorade has no HFCS. It's sweetened with dextrose. new
      #300681 - 02/24/07 05:50 PM
David Shepherd

Reged: 02/04/06

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2797

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review