All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS weight lost
      #300257 - 02/20/07 09:02 AM
Deejae

Reged: 02/13/07

I have recently been diagnosed with ibs and in the pass year has lost a total of 45lbs, I really want to gain my weight back, but it seems impossible with this lowfat diet and the constant bouts I conitue to have. Heeelp please all suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks DeeJae

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS weight lost new
      #300259 - 02/20/07 09:37 AM
Jackey

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Orlando, Florida

Deejae: I have the same problem. I haven't found a lot of support for it. I've had to find my own solutions. I've had IBS for about 2 years now and have not gained back all of my weight yet. Before IBS: 115 lbs. At the worst part of IBS: 102.5 lbs. Now: 117.5 -111 lbs., depending on the day and time. I was lucky and happened upon Heather's site early - doing research because my regular doctor and gastrointerologist had no knowledge or advice for diet. First, I ordered all of Heather's stuff, including the Hypnotherapy tape. I started taking Probiotics (local Herb Shop). I started yoga, weight lifting, and accupuncture. At Chamberlain's health store I found canned soy protein drinks. I had 2 or 3 per day in addition to all that wonderful fiber! I switched to Nature's Plus SPIRU-TEEN Sport (340 calories/serving) powder and added vanilla soy milk to make a shake. This is DELICIOUS! I drink those 2-3 times per day, especially after breakfast (oatmeal/cinnamon/honey) and before working out. In the beginning I snacked on Teddy Grahams throughout the day. I eat a lot of Indian food. All of these things have helped me ween off the drugs and has helped my body slowly become more tolerant of more "risky" foods. I'd like to get a few more pounds back on so I can be a size 6 instead of a 2. (I know some people will be rolling their eyes and saying they'd kill for that -but I am very sensitive to it. I keep hearing that I'm too skinny and I have a complex about that.) But, working out and turning flesh to muscle has done a lot for my confidence so I feel in a healthier place for now. Hope this helps.

#300260 - 02/20/07 09:39 AM
Jackey

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Orlando, Florida

Ooops! I found a mistake....it's 107.5 to 11l lbs. (not 117.5 to 11l lbs.)...

#300269 - 02/20/07 10:21 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

There are a lot of posts about weight loss / gain on the forum. I suggest that you also search the board. I am going through the same thing. I lost over 30 lbs in the last year. (I have had IBS for 14+ years.)
First work on being stable, then worry about your weight.

All the best!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#300271 - 02/20/07 10:23 AM
Deejae

Reged: 02/13/07

Thanks Jackey, I like you feel so self conscious about my weight, I wish I could get to a size 8 or 10, I am now about a size 4 or 6 my weight range between 110-118lbs. I seem to have discomfort of some kind on a daily basis is this normal or should I have systoms free days, maybe I have not yet learned how to eat with ibs. this is hard to me. Pray for me and I will be praying for you my I have ibs/c and zelnorm is not working it for me.

#300272 - 02/20/07 10:26 AM
para1

Reged: 02/20/07

I am new to this website and sort of new to IBS. I had been told for 5 years that I had IBS from a family practioner but just recently went to a gastroenterologist. He said that I am text book IBS but I am still waiting for some blood wor back. I had been introduced to this website by a neighbor and ordered the acacia powder and peppermint capsules and have been using the cheat sheet and trying to watch what I eat. I have lost about 10 pounds in the last 2 months and am starting to get nervous that something is really wrong with me. I am anxiously awaiting the bloodwork results. Is it normal to loose weight following the rules and using fiber?

#300293 - 02/20/07 12:58 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Yes, it's normal to lose some weight. I was initially too scared to eat so that's primarily why I didn't stop losing weight when I started EFI. Once I got used to the situation and found out what was safe, I could regain my weight.

I lost over 17 pounds for 2 weeks (that's no joke, I was literally 1 pound less every day... and that given I went to the bathroom once a week with the help of laxatives). That's back when I was on something I didn't know was called the break the cycle diet (BTC diet). When I started EFI, I kept loosing weight, but the rate diminished (I mean... 1 lb/day doesn't sound right, LOL). Eventually, I stopped losing weight. I even regained a couple of pounds lately. Now I know I CAN gain weight, so if I feel week, I can just eat more safe food and I'm going to be good.

My doctor said my story was not major weight loss, even with the rate I was observing. So don't worry. As long as you are not fainty, you're good. Just stick to EFI and you will get a hang on it.

I was not overweight when I started loosing the weight. I was probably about 135 pounds (I'm 5 feet 6 inches) and now I am 115 (maybe... haven't been to the gym in awhile, but probably didn't change much). I feel great, excluding the fact that finding clothes size 2 is much harder than size 4 and 6, LOL.

#300298 - 02/20/07 01:51 PM
para1

Reged: 02/20/07

Thanks for your response. What's funny is that I had been trying to loose weight for awhile and couldn't. Once I started watching what I ate and started taking the fiber I began to loose the weight and am definitely not as bloated. But then I got nervous that maybe something was wrong. So, it's a crazy situation that you get what you want but then worry about it. I'm definitely feeling better now. Thank you

#300337 - 02/20/07 06:44 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Yeah, I can see that happening. My mother was like that for me. She thought I was fat (I thought I was fine, so did my husband and my friends, but well, mothers have other standards, LOL). So then I lost all the weight and she started worrying. Now, from "Oh, stop eating" she's like "Oh, you've got to eat".

Your body will find its ideal "size" and will stabilize there. Don't worry about that

#300368 - 02/20/07 10:00 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

I was just like you. I weighed 110-115 I went back and forth. I developed IBS 7 months ago and lowest 102 today 106.5. I have a very muscular build even at this weight but my students kept telling me I looked so skinny and my family was freeking out about it. I felt very self concious and felt unhealthy. I work in a gym so the whole anerexic look is not what I want to send as a message. Keep with the diet and as your body stabilizes you will begin to gain back weight and health. Exercise not to lose but to help get those feel good endorphins and to help make your body healthy. Building muscle will help gain weight. Namaste'

--------------------
KELLY

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 459 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1652

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review