All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
dry cereal?
      #300240 - 02/20/07 04:15 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Can you share which brands of dry cereal that are IBS friendly? So many brands, even the sugary kids' ones, have whole grain on the front of the box or list whole wheat as a main ingredient. I saw a couple listed in one of the links at the top of this board, but I'm looking for other suggestions. I don't have much cabinet space, so I want to find something that my kids will like, too.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: dry cereal? new
      #300247 - 02/20/07 07:04 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are so many safe cereals it would take a lot of work to make a list. I try to keep track of them but know it could never be complete. Look closer at the ones that say whole grain because if they are whole grain oats, rice or corn they are still safe. Only whole wheat is touchy. This is because rice, corn and oats have SF as well as IF. Most of the Quaker cereals are safe and many of the GM are. Kellogg's and Post add HFCS everywhere and these are not safe.
Some ideas are:
cheerios/frosted/HN
organic rice krispies
life
rice or corn chex or frosted
capn crunch, reeses puffs
pebbles (?)I think so- looked at them yesterday
kix
That is all I know off hand. But really there are a lot more. It is easier now to find ones with dairy since they have to alert it on the box- Cinnamon toast crunch for instance has dairy. It is best to look for rice, corn and oat cereals rather than wheat. And then watch for HFCS.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#300252 - 02/20/07 08:17 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Ok, great, thanks! I didn't realize that it was just "whole wheat" that was the problem. That makes finding cereal alot easier

Life chocolate new
      #300453 - 02/21/07 06:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Life chocolate cereal is safe and looks yummy.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Polydextrose new
      #300466 - 02/21/07 09:18 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I'm not sure about the Pebbles. I bought both Fruity and Cocoa the other day, thinking they looked pretty safe. However, upon closer examination I noticed that the 2nd ingredient is polydextrose. I wasn't sure if that was okay or not, so I looked it up. I found several sources that sound like it's not really something I want to consume as an IBSer. Maybe others know better, but I'm keeping my distance since it is the 2nd highest ingredient in the cereal...

Wikipedia page on polydextrose says it's made of about 10% sorbitol and isn't properly digested by humans. Seems to be a main ingredient in the artificial sweeteners Shugr, Litesse, and Sta-Lite (this is a red flag to me).

Study results showing no marked laxative effect - makes it seem like maybe it's not as bad as Wikipedia makes it sound??

Health Canada site says...

"Health Canada scientists have studied the human health effects of these compounds and have concluded that the addition of sugar alcohols and/or polydextrose to foods is safe and that they are effective sweetening or texturizing/bulking agents. It is known, however, that eating too much of these substances can cause gastro-intestinal discomfort and laxative effects. This is a result of sugar alcohols and polydextrose being poorly taken up from the gastrointestinal tract. The likelihood of such effects occurring is related to the amount consumed and, therefore, increases with the consumption of more than one product containing sugar alcohols and/or polydextrose. There is a wide variation, however, in sensitivity between individuals to these effects. Also, it is possible with frequent consumption of products containing sugar alcohols and/or polydextrose to develop a tolerance, and be able to increase consumption without experiencing adverse effects."

So maybe it's okay in moderation... but for an IBSer, that limit may be much lower than a non-IBSer.

I don't know if this is actually unsafe for IBSers or not, but it looks rather suspect to me. Does anyone have more info (or experience) on this?

#300476 - 02/22/07 04:13 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

It is not just whole wheat.

THe argument that whole corn, oats, etc, have SF, whereas whole wheat does not is not precise, because whole wheat does have SF (and you can add acacia to your cereal too). The problem is that most people report that whole wheat bran bothers them much more than other types of bran.

Corn bran bothers me a lot more than whole wheat bran, btw. I stay away from whole grain cereals, in general. You, however, might and probably are different. You can just give them a try on an empty stomach (with water) and you'll be able to tell if you can tollerate them.

#300483 - 02/22/07 05:51 AM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

I also found that the whole grain oat cereals bothered me. I found that my grocery store brand (Wegman's)cereal does not have HFCS. I usually eat the generic corn pops or frosted flakes.

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review