All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
The diet and constipation
      #299828 - 02/14/07 03:56 PM
dmdentre

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: New England

I have IBS-A, mostly C with bloating. I have tried the diet and find that no matter how much soluble fiber I get with the diet, I still have the constipation and bloating. If I add tons of insoluble fiber, then I don't have constipation - I go every day, but I get a lot more bloating (of course) and indigestion. Any suggestions on how this diet has helped those of you with constipation? Also - do any of you have more pain and cramping after you have a BM as opposed to before? Happy Valentines Day!
Thanks for your advice!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The diet and constipation new
      #299832 - 02/14/07 04:13 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I'm an IBS-C

The way I did the diet is I did BTC for a couple of weeks, while taking a laxative called Magnesium Citrate (for example Natral Calm or generic, I took the generic version), that is very gentle, while I did not eat much IF.

Then I started adding IF very very slowly, and was able to reduce my laxative dose to 0.

I do not experience much cramping (unless I overdose on fat or IF of course) or bloating. I was prone to cramping before, not so much to bloating... I mean, in the past my abdomen would swell, but not as much as to make me look pregnant, as some people on this board... after reading their accounts, I just think I have it so easy, I can as well say I'm not prone to bloating at all.

I think what I didn't do is I didn't shock my system with IF. I added IF very very slowly, plus I tend to eat the same things over extended periods of time, so my body doesn't get new "interesting" kinds of fiber over which to complain, nor does it get too much of fiber at once... It's used to the situation and I keep it that way.

Happy Valentines to you too!

--J

#299879 - 02/15/07 08:30 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

For IBS-C, you really need both IF and SF together. I've tried all SF - I got bloated and sluggish. I tried mostly IF and little SF - I got crampy and not all that much less C. It's the combination that's magic! If I get some of both in every meal, I'm in good shape.

Don't forget the other components of living with IBS: you need to get exercise and you need to handle stress (hypno, yoga, meditation, etc.). Hypno really did help my C.

--AC

#299881 - 02/15/07 09:25 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I have IBS-D but take loperamide to make the bowels slower. When having a D attack I typically get a cramp first and then D and feel better (at least for a short time) after the BM. However when my bowels are slower and I sometimes have a big BM then I typically don't have pain before but get some after the BM. It usually goes away within 5-30 minutes or so though. I think that since the bowel is more sensitive to changes in pressure for people with IBS, the pain comes from the change between an expanded part of the colon suddenly being empty after the BM.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#299898 - 02/15/07 11:23 AM
kikia

Reged: 02/10/07

i don't quite know where i fit, i think i am ibs-a also. depending on the time of the month, one will prevail over the other. when i am on the c side, i have lots of bloating, gas and pain, but most important i have more pain and cramping after a bm than before. that drives me crazy, as i don't know what to do also. at least i know someone else has the same symptoms. yesterday i received my ibs starter kit (fennel tea, peppermint caps, acacia fiber, and both books) the best valentine's gift i am going to slowly try each product, i'm going to try the tea for breakfast, and then try each of the others...though i'll wait as tommorrow is my b-day and don't want to have a problem on my day. i've learned that if i don't know how something will effect me, don't try it unless i know i'll be at home with nothing to lose. i hope you find what works, have you tried any of the teas or powder?

#299899 - 02/15/07 11:32 AM
Jeio

You're probably right about the pressure. I thought the same, because I experience cramping (for a short time) if I waited until my bladder was full (so I really wanted to pee) and then emptied it all at once. I guess it's the same deal.

#299954 - 02/15/07 08:15 PM
jDnn7

Reged: 02/11/07
Loc: IA, USA

[color:purple] [/color] :confused:

#299955 - 02/15/07 08:27 PM
jDnn7

Reged: 02/11/07
Loc: IA, USA

Hi. I'm new to all of this. Although I have never been formally diagnosed with IBS-C, I have all the symptoms. I do plan to undergo tests to find out for sure, but until then I want to try this diet to see if it makes any difference. Does/has any one of you take/n Zelnorm? I do all the time. It's the only thing that works. But I'm afraid that I suffer with diharrea, cramping and back pain after. I ask my self often, "Is this IBS-C or is it just chronic constipation?" Would a doctor be able to tell me this? Would appreciate your input. Thanks

diva

#299966 - 02/16/07 05:47 AM
Jeio

I have had chronic constipation all my life... last year it turned into IBS.

Well, Heather's diet is mostly healthy and might help your C (if you add enough IF).

If you do have all symptoms it could also be something much more serious than IBS. Not that IBS is not serious, just some other diseases require surgeries and other scary stuff.

I have not taken Zelnorm, but did you try doing a search of the board? It has been discussed lots of times. Do a search, unrestricted in time, and you'll find lots to read.

#299989 - 02/16/07 02:37 PM
jshelt

Reged: 01/31/07

A doctor should not have perscribed you Zelnorm until you were diagnosed with IBS-C. What kind of a doctor did you get the Zelnorm from? GI docs will give you a colonoscopy first to rule out any diseases, etc. I have tried Zelnorm it did not work for me at all. But, I am sure there are people on the board that it does work for.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review