All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cravings vs triggers
      #299730 - 02/13/07 02:29 PM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

I read in another post about how often times what we crave are our triggers. Can someone eplain this a little more. I'm finding that to be true. and how do you cope? One of my triggers is milk--I do so well staying away from it, but then there are times that is all i want-a cold glass of milk. Do you just use your willpower??
Melissa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cravings vs triggers new
      #299732 - 02/13/07 02:39 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I use will power and think about if I really want to spend that much time in the bathroom the next day. Is it worth the time? Is it worth the pain? Usually, the answer is no.

I am also very willing to try substitutes.

I hear you, though. Soy milk just doesn't go with chocolate cake as well as the "real deal."

However, I've yet to really give into the "real serving of real ice cream" craving. It's not worth the pain.

#299733 - 02/13/07 02:39 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Well... sometimes I will just take one bite/sip of the trigger (after a safe meal), just to trick myself into believing I actually had some *trigger food* (insert whatever you want here, milk in your case, I guess)

Sometimes willpower alone is not enough.

I also try not to have any triggers around (in the house) so it's a pain in the ass to go and get some. If I do have triggers, I try to keep busy. I also make more obstacles so I will have a hard time reaching the food, e.g. put them on the top top top shelf of the cupboard, so I have to brind a chair to get them... preferably behind some other jars, so I don't accidentally see them and crave them...

Far from the eyes, far from the heart (do you have that saying?... if not, it's an old wisdom). If you don't see something/can't reachsomething, you'll crave it far less.

#299734 - 02/13/07 02:49 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

It's not been that long since the last time I was forced into the bathroom, so I keep that in mind when I want something I shouldn't have. And I try to treat myself in other ways -- making sure I'm not eating boring bland food, trying new things, baking some sweets. All those help me from missing junk food (which is really all I crave that I can't have).

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#299909 - 02/15/07 01:21 PM
cacao

Reged: 01/19/07

its natural to want what we can't have not only with food.
sometimes with trigger foods i chew it and spit it back out. it's a pretty bad ED method but it helps my cravings and anxiety

#299943 - 02/15/07 06:57 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

Wish I could tell ya. I have zero willpower. I have food issues that have caused me to be overweight so I have two forces working against me. I just do my best when I can and keep the heating pad and peppermint tea within reach for when I can't. Hopefully one day (after I have found a more healthy relationship with food) I'll be able to answer your question. Until then - good luck and we'll keep trying to avoid those triggers together!

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

#299944 - 02/15/07 07:27 PM
swtsttulips

Reged: 02/15/07

Good question. I think about if eating that trigger is really worth what's going to happen, most often the answer is no. But my husband says that I have massive willpower, so maybe that helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 850 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1089

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review