Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
D and Anti-depressants?
      #299554 - 02/11/07 07:14 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,

Is anyone with D on anti-depressants? If so...what kind? I would really like to hear if they have helped or not and if you have had any side effects?

Anyone on Lovan at all?

Thanks,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: D and Anti-depressants? new
      #299560 - 02/11/07 07:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm an A who's *primarily* a D... I'm on Lexapro, 20mg. I had initial side effects that weren't too pleasant - bad D for a couple days, nausea for a week, exhaustion for about a month - but it really helped my IBS. I'm actually on it for anxiety, not depression... anxiety was my biggest IBS trigger, so medicating for that was a definite help. Not a huge difference immediately, but definitely one over time.

Re: lexapro? new
      #299567 - 02/11/07 08:22 PM
KinOz

ok thats good to know...what kind of AD is Lexapro?
thanks
kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#299570 - 02/11/07 08:35 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I took Elavil, a tricyclic antidepressant, for a few years. It was actually prescribed to help with my IBS-D and for insomnia. I also had a problem with anxiety.

The Elavil did seem to help my IBS. The side effects I got were drowsiness (I took it at night just for that side effect!) and tachycardia when my dosage was increased to 20 mg. At 10 - 15 mg I didn't have that effect. This is considered a low dose, but I'm petite and ultra-sensitive to meds. I eventually went off the Elavil because I thought it might be causing palpitations. It wasn't tho, because the problem persisted.

Re:Elavil? new
      #299579 - 02/11/07 11:15 PM
KinOz

so would you consider it worth using then? Would you try it again? I read it causes weight gain so was scared off by that. Did you find it made you gain weight at all?
thanks
Kerrie

--------------------

#299587 - 02/12/07 05:26 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I am taking 25mg of Elavil and love it! It has eliminated the pain and cut back alot on the frequency of D. About 10 years ago, I took a MUCH higher dose for depression and didn't have any side effects at all. Now, all I notice is that I sleep much better. I've had lifelong insomnia and it's gone now.

#299604 - 02/12/07 09:41 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

For the past year, I've been using Elavil, 10 mg at night. I started out with 5 mg the first month. Elavil only causes weight gain at high doses - 40 mg and up. The same goes for it altering your mood - it takes really high doses to work as an actual anti-depressant.

I haven't gained weight while on it (I'm around 115 lbs, 5'6"). I highly recommend Elavil for those with D and pain because, for me, it has really helped reduce the pain of IBS cramps, D, and it also helps me sleep.

#299605 - 02/12/07 09:42 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I wish! I'm skinny, so could have used the extra weight. No, it didn't cause that problem with me.

Re:when did the Elavil start to make a difference? new
      #299654 - 02/12/07 03:14 PM
KinOz

does it take a while?
did you use imodium as well?
thanks

--------------------

Re:when did the Elavil start to make a difference? new
      #299664 - 02/12/07 04:04 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think about a month or so. No, I was using Imodium before taking Elavil. I don't really use Imodium anymore - well, I took half an Imodium one morning as a preventive; it was that time of the month and I had a meeting, so I wanted to be extra sure I'd have no attacks.

I should also note that I have lupus. It didn't cause my IBS, but it did aggravate it. My IBS symptoms also improved as I was being treated for lupus. I'm still following Heather's Eating for IBS guidelines.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1525 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2670

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review