All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Worst D attack ever
      #299507 - 02/11/07 06:06 AM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

Oh my gosh, last night I had the worst D attack of my life. I know I brought it on myself because I went out on Friday night for my friend's 21st birthday and had a couple of drinks (was feeling stable and foolishly thought I could handle it). I hadn't drunk any form of alcohol for 3 years previous to this so I was kind of expecting to get a bit of a funny tummy, but not this bad. I thought I was going to die! It seemed strange to me how it took so long to have this D attack though and I even managed to get through a 6 hr shift at work the day after I drank after only having a half hr sleep! I didn't eat much when I got home after drinking, only a few low fat oat cakes because I had major munchies and thought the oats might soak up the alcohol in my stomach. But then after work I had a backed potato and some mackerel in tomato sauce (usually fine for me) and that's when I got really bad. I've been up all night (it's now 13:55 Sunday morning here) and I am so exhausted. I can't seem to stomach anything right now, even a sip of water gives me major cramping and I have to go and lie down.

I don't normally get D attacks as I am IBS-C, so can anybody offer any advice on what they do to help settle their stomach? Really need help on what to eat. I think bread or toast is meant to be a good but I'm wheat intollerant and don't have any of my wheat free bread in the house! Eeeek! Please help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worst D attack ever new
      #299508 - 02/11/07 06:39 AM
professor

Reged: 07/19/05
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Hi Jennifer

I'm IBS super D. Having a drink on an empty stomach is never a good idea. What kind of drink did you have? Anything with bubbles is a double trigger (champagne, beer), I tolerate only red or white wine when I'm stable. I think the mackerel did not help either (it is a very fatty fish).

You will have to stick with the BTC diet for a few days. Applesauce unsweeted, rice,mashed potatoes and carrots would be your best bet for now. Then add boiled chicken breast... and if you tolerate all this, you are stable again!

#299510 - 02/11/07 07:08 AM
Jennifer86

Somebody introduced me to the delight of sambuca shots, of which I had probably 7 or 8 throughout the night. I know, I know, bad, bad idea, but everyone was drinking and only my best mate knows I have IBS and I just really wanted to fit in, you know? I'm so tired of being the designated driver and "the boring one who never drinks" This is what really gets me down as I'm only 20 years old and I just want to be able to live a little!

#299517 - 02/11/07 08:31 AM
professor

Reged: 07/19/05
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Well, you got your answer there Jennifer!!!

8 sambuca! (which probably contains very strong alcool content) That's pure disaster for an IBS person!

I understand that you want to fit in. I was diagnosed with IBS at age 38, so I had time to Ğliveğ before not being able to drink large amounts of wine (which I still love and cheat with from time to time). But you will have to learn that if your friend do not accept you as you are (that is with your IBS), they are certainly not good friends. Everybody who knows me (including my employer), knows I have IBS and they also know that I am a funny,spirited, smart person who has lots of intolerance and who can only have 1 or 2 glasses of wine at a time.

I think you should let everybody know what you have. The up side is you will never die from IBS! Plus, focus on lifes other pleasures (there are many of them that does not require use of your colon!) .

#299537 - 02/11/07 04:06 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

Jennifer I can totally feel your pain. I am a 34 year old woman who loves nothing more than going out and having a few drinks. I can usually handle it as long as I eat a safe meal before I go out (Friday night I had a plain baked potato, boiled chicken breast) before I drank 4-5 Jack and Cokes. Every person's tolerance is different but for some reason I can handle the Jack and Coke. Make sure you eat before you have anything with alcohol in it (just like you would if you wanted a small piece of cake or something). Even though the IBS diet seems as though you'll never see alcohol again, that's not always the case. Just be really careful. OH and biggest tip. Remember that drinking removes those inhibitions. Be careful what you eat AFTER you have a few cocktails too. That's my worst time. There was a time wereh I'd have a drink or two, be feeling good and do something STUPID like eat something fried. Deadly. I no longer make that mistake. Feel better.

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

#299538 - 02/11/07 04:19 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Eight sambuca shots can make people without IBS have a bad tummy. I never understand the need people have to drink alcohol to fit in. It doesn't make you a better person or more likable. Like the professor said, if they don't like you if you're not drinking, then they're really not your friends. If you must make it look like you're having alcohol, go to the bar and ask for cranberry juice or something like that and they'll think you're drinking a cranberry vodka.

#299545 - 02/11/07 05:15 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

Hi jen

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am 23, and recently diagnosed. I am having the hardest time adjusting my life. Not going downtown, and not being able to do what most people are age are doing without overwhelming fear of an attack is frustrating. I also havn't told most people what is actually wrong with me. The few people I tried to explain it to asked me if I was sure it wasn't "all in my head" All they know is that I was having "tummy issues" and subsequently lost some weight.

as for the horrible d, I highly reccomend a big cup of really strong peppermint tea, a hotwater bottle/heating pad. It ususally calms everything down for me
Good Luck

#299581 - 02/12/07 02:18 AM
Jennifer86

Quote:

Eight sambuca shots can make people without IBS have a bad tummy. I never understand the need people have to drink alcohol to fit in. It doesn't make you a better person or more likable. Like the professor said, if they don't like you if you're not drinking, then they're really not your friends. If you must make it look like you're having alcohol, go to the bar and ask for cranberry juice or something like that and they'll think you're drinking a cranberry vodka.

I understand what you're saying and you're right that I shouldn't feel pressurized into drinking just to fit in. The thing is, for other reasons besides my IBS, I haven't been out and enjoyed myself for a good 3 years and am only just starting to 'live'. I met these new friends only a couple of months ago and have avoided drinking with them the past couple of times for fear of what might happen but this night for some reason I just felt a longing to be care and worry-free. And 'normal'! They also invite me out to eat with them but the last couple of times it has been to places like McDonalds so I just have to sit there and pretend I'm not hungry. I worry sometimes they think I might be anorexic or something, you know when they give you that sort of 'look' and ask why you're not eating. I'd rather not have to give them a working knowledge of my bowels but I am running out of excuses as to why I wouldn't like a deep-fried onion ring! Sometimes I guess it's just simpler to give in, you know? Having said that, I have sworn to myself that I will not drink again to that extent because it has set me back so many steps when I was just starting to feel stable.
But hey, we live and learn!

know exactly how you feel! new
      #299584 - 02/12/07 04:10 AM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

I've had IBS D since I was 12 am now 25, I feel I've totally missed out, I've never even had an alcoholic drink for fear of revenge from my lovely tummy! All my friends know about my IBS and why I dont drink and I still go out and have fun, with the added bonus of not waking up with a hangover, but sometimes yes I do feel left out when everyone is completely trolleyed and giggling at silly conversations and I'm stone cold sober thinking I'd rather be at home tucked up in bed than feel isolated from the fun!

The only advice I can offer is what to tell other people, obviously my friends all know but if I'm around people I don't know or fancy telling about the workings of my bowels, then I either say I'm allergic to alcohol or that I have a problem with my stomach and it makes me really ill. If they carry on keep trying to force me to drink then I make mention to the fact that I don't want to look like them by the end of the evening, this usually does the trick lol.

Re: know exactly how you feel! new
      #299640 - 02/12/07 01:34 PM
Jennifer86

Quote:

If they carry on keep trying to force me to drink then I make mention to the fact that I don't want to look like them by the end of the evening, this usually does the trick lol.

Lol, good tip! I must try that next time!

Aww thanks for all your comments guys. I love this site, it's such a great way to share feelings, thoughts and frustrations with people who can actually relate and help out! You're all such brilliant people, love you all!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review