All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cream of wheat? and what about salty foods?
      #299496 - 02/10/07 09:57 PM
kikia

Reged: 02/10/07

is this a trigger? i can't figure it out, i eat it when i am having problems, but i can't seem to see if it ever causes problems, as i do eat it when i'm not having an attack.
and about salty foods, is it a trigger? as i have traced some mild attacks (upset stomach, maybe one case of d) to eating lays plain chips, fritos, turkey hot dogs and turkey lunch meat, and some canned chicken soups. all of which have high sodium content. i do have a problem with gas and bloating, so does gas and bloating trigger an attack, or are those symptoms themselves considered an attack? i will say i noticed that the times i got d, while eating the above foods, i drank 2-3 glasses of water at once after eating...and then within a hour to two hours...horrible d, cramping and severe pain.
just seeing if anyone else have the same problem...trying to connect the dots.
thanks,
kiki

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cream of wheat? and what about salty foods? new
      #299503 - 02/11/07 05:33 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Well, it depends. It's not a trigger for me, but it could be cause it has some IF. What do you eat cream of wheat with? Do you eat it on an empty stomach?

Salty food -- I don't think it's a problem, if it's just salty. Chips are high in fat, though, so that's a HUGE problem. Chips are not IBS safe (unless they are baked). You have to first check the ingredients and fat content of what you eat, because the canned soups might have been the same way...

#299524 - 02/11/07 11:01 AM
kikia

yes, i would eat it on an empty stomach, i'm in braces so when i had/have a difficult adjustment (like right now...trying to close a gap...ouch!) i can only eat soft foods and i do cream of wheat and malt o meal (today i'm trying cream of rice). i wonder if i put to much sugar?
as for the salt...i think it may be that the foods are too fatty, the soup that i had was a healthy choice with no fat, but lots of sodium, but i think that attack can be traced to me eating some really greasy fries about a hour after the soup (fries normally don't bother me, but, for some reason, the fries were extremely soggy, the place that makes them, in n out, usually makes them very healthy, they are all natural and usually quite dry, but i remember they were really greasy and good , didn't know it was going to be a problem untill about 45 minutes later, i'm twenty minutes from home, driving like a maniac, trying not to have an accident. i won't even look at those fries now...i get flashbacks.
so yeah, i think a need to be careful with the fat, i can have some, just not a lot.

#299534 - 02/11/07 03:31 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

It also could have been the turkey dogs. I have to be very cautious with turkey anything bc the dark meat turkey causes me to have terrible D. They put ALL kinds of meat in turkey dogs and such. The only turkey (ground or otherwise) I can get away with is white meat. Fries also are a problem for me (if they're greasy like you said yours were). I'm usually OK with a few fries as long as they're a little on the dry side.

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

#299647 - 02/12/07 02:36 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I agree that fat, not salt, may be the culprit. Fat is sneaky, as oftentimes you're thinking of the other flavors (salt or sugar) and miss the fat.

As for cream of wheat? I can't do it anymore, which is kind of sad. I have instant grits, and cream of rice, as well as oatmeal, none of which cause me problems.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#299662 - 02/12/07 03:57 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

There is no way fried french fries (what a phrase, LOL) can be IBS safe.

The process of frying just makes all the starch in the potatoes (and they are primarily starch) soak up on the oil. Even if they appear dry, they have absorbed so much fat as to make them EXTREMELY unsafe.

I'd stay away from all kinds of deep fried foods, no matter how "healthy" they claim to be. They might be healthy for normal people, but not for IBS-ers.

#299920 - 02/15/07 03:22 PM
roundhouse

Reged: 01/29/07

It also might be a preservative in the food.

I tried thefrozen cut potatoes, that you can bake in the oven instead of fry, and I got sick.

So either its all potatoes, or some chemical in the frozen ones.
The waffle fries at Chic-fil-a dont bother me at all.
Its like walking thru a minefield.

#299922 - 02/15/07 04:15 PM
kikia

that's funny because i live off of ore-ida frozen potatos, but once i tried to bake a potato, and even though i didn't eat the skin i had the most horrible case of bloat-ed-ness (is that a word) ever, its like i ate canned beans. i can also eat the fries at burger king, jack in the box, and wendy's (though i don't any more) fried foods don't bother me terribly as long as it is not very greasy.
very true it is like a minefield...and people wonder why eating alone is stressful for me...i can get an attack just in thinking about eating i think.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1437

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review