All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
i feel so stupid...please read and help me (i'm in tears)
      #299487 - 02/10/07 08:24 PM
kikia

Reged: 02/10/07

hi all,
i'm new, though i have been lurking since i got diagnosed about two years ago.
i think i'm ibs-a but more towards d
here is my situation, when i first realized and then got diagnosed with ibs, i followed the diet, exercised and all seemed to be fine. once i got stable,and after a year of following the ibs safe eating, i lost 40+ lbs from 147 to 102 i'm 5'1'' and i also went from being diagnosed with pcos and not having any periods (my whole life), to having a monthly period...and too my horror...within months i had the most awful pain ever two weeks before my period would start, d, and then eventually nausea. after about nine months i went to the dr. and they diagnosed me with endometriosis, and felt that the ibs diagnose still stood. here is where i got stupid and confused i think. my dr put me on the depo shot to help with the endo...and i think i thought that since i wasn't having any problems with my ibs (because i was probably eating right before the periods came-about a year btw of eating right, exercising, etc. before the pcos disappeared) i somehow figured ibs wasn't a problem...so now i am not having period pain, but now i have the most god-awful bm, afterwards i have a severe painful bloating feeling, that lasts for a long time...sometimes a whole day and a feeling that i need to go again, but i can't. and even though i don't have a period but every three months (because of the shot) once a month i have a mild ibs/period attack (i think) i get a bad tummy ache, d, i dont eat because of the pain, i get unstable. but other than that i am pretty much fine as long as i still clear of even smelling anything with an ounce of diary in it.
my question is (and i know its stupid) but am i making myself worse by not eating when i have this awful d, and bloat and gas. i will literally go almost a whole day without eating, because the pain is so bad...but i will say i do take my probiotic no matter what. i just find it so hard and scarry to eat when i feel so horrible, my dh tells me that is the problem, but again i get paralyzed with the thought of eating because of the severe cramping, pain, and d. what i usually do is after a day or so of "fasting" i slowly start back with eating, toast, rice, chicken. and honestly that's all i eat now days. i remember i use to eat lots of squash, mushrooms, and other stuff. but as of the last six months this is my diet:
breakfst: 4 slices of toast with soy milk
lunch: i forget or don't make time better yer (i am a sahm with a 4yr old and 2.5 yr old, and i if i can't grab and eat it while i'm busy with them i just wait till dh gets home and then i can breath and eat)
dinner: (usually 6-7 hrs after breakfast...i will eat rice or baked fries and either chicken breast or some sort of fish)
i will say that i will snack on a hand full of plain chips (which i think is a trigger for me now) or some other frivoulous thing here and there...but this is my sad diet. i have become so fearful of eating, that i think sometimes i purposely forget.
i know it sounds like a stupid question, but is my problem that i'm not eating enough? i don't know why i got scared off of the squash and mushrooms, but i don't know how to start myself on the right track, how to move from the fear of another attack.
i want to try some of the teas reccommended here, but i am so afraid of trying something new, i guess that is why i eat like i do.
thanks for letting me vent, i know i sound rambled and all over the place, just feels like so much to get out. please give me some encouragement and guidance.
btw, i also notice that stress is a big thing for me and lack of sleep...within the last four months my 2 yr old broke his collar bone (he's a daredevil), my mil got diagnosed with breast cancer, my grandmother (my best friend) has gotten really sick and she's an hour away from me, and a close friend of mines passed unexpectedly. i haven't been able to sleep well. i've been worrying about so much lately.
anyway, some advice and guidance would really put a smile on my face...thanks for listening
kiki

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: i feel so stupid...please read and help me (i'm in tears) new
      #299488 - 02/10/07 08:48 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I think you've got a whole heck of a lot on your plate right now! Yikes.

I don't know for you, but I know for me, not eating is a huge problem. I tried just not eating last year when things got horribly bad. I knew I could eat turkey cold cuts with mustard in a sandwich. So I lived off of that for about 2 months. But I didn't get/feel better.

Now I eat constantly, it seems, so I've always got some food in my system. My fat-free pretzels are a lifesaver. Even if I don't feel great, they're okay (plus the salt makes me want to drink more water, which is good). Since you're so busy, try to make extra servings of food, keep good bread on hand, and find some safe snacks (like the pretzels) to keep your system working when you're busy. That may help stem off some of the attacks.

You may also want to consider some form of stress relief, since that's likely a trigger.

Hope you're feeling more in control soon.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#299489 - 02/10/07 08:55 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Is there another solution to the endometriosis? I've heard some horror stories about Depo.

what supplements are most reccomended? new
      #299491 - 02/10/07 09:07 PM
kikia

thank you for replying so soon, i think that not eating and eating limited foods is not helping if not causing the problem.
i'm going to take the plunge and buy the supplements and book i've seen so many people get relief from.
now, i just don't know what to buy.
my dh says just get what you need, but i don't know, should i just get everything and try everything?
and i am going to look into yoga, i did it for two years before i had my children, but gave up making the time after the two of them came, i feel my body is craving it.
thanks for listening
kiki

#299492 - 02/10/07 09:21 PM
kikia

the hard thing with the endo, is it is a beast of a pain, i didn't want to do the depo, but i was getting to the point of not being able to take care of my kids well. dh was having to take a day or two off.
my plan with the dr. is to try the depo for a year plus one cycle and then see if i can go off of it. so far, it has helped me 90% which the dr. thinks means i will not neccessarly have to take the depo forever. i got relief pretty fast, and she thinks that means the shot is dissolving what ever adhesions i have pretty rapidly, we hope that we stopped it before it got pretty bad and that once the adhesions are gone, my body will begin to heal itself.
i have been reading a book on natural healing which stresses diet (almost exactly heather's ibs diet), yoga, and calming de-stressing techniques. i do believe this will help me heal, as i have found that changing my diet two years ago "cured" my pcos (within 1 year). when i was diagnosed with pcos i was told i'd have it for life and they didn't know why i had, my cholestrol was good, i didn't seem too overweight, and my hormones checked out fine. well, its obvious that changing my diet (i stopped all forms of diary cold turkey, and stopped eating out cold-turkey) made me loose weight, and then my periods came. now when i go to the doctor concerned about my weight (102lbs) they tell me i'm perfect and that i was 5lbs. away from being considered obese before. they never said anything about my weight, in fact that was one of the first things that ruled normal...go figure.
hopefully i will be able to heal from the endo also, and manage my ibs.
kiki

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1064 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1029

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review