All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What has worked for me...
      #299340 - 02/08/07 12:14 PM
yvette71

Reged: 10/04/06
Loc: Salem, MA

Well after over a year of horrible IBS-D things are finally starting to calm down. For me I found I had to eliminate all wheat products. Oatmeal was killing me, Cream of wheat, white bread, sour dough bread etc. was also problematic.

So I've been living off of plain white rice, cooked carrots (soft, soft, soft), bananas, water, decaf teas, herbal teas, and rice krispie treats. I found Uncle Ben's makes "Ready rice" in orange microwavable packages that travelled great to work.

I've also gotten back on Elavil, which for me is two-fold as I've got bladder issues to contend with and I take the Elavil at nite (40mg) because it makes me sleepy.

So far, I've backed off the Immodium. And I've managed to eat beef Teriaki, some greasy Lo-mein and 1 pork dumpling all in one nite without incident. And I mean nothing, no gas, no rumbly tummy...nothing. Would I eat like this every nite?....oh gosh, no. But it was nice to have a little diet normalcy.

Today, I even indulged in some Dove chocolates..milk and dark...yummmm.

Anyways, I just thought I'd post this to give others some hope. It wasn't easy sticking to the "gravel" diet (my own term for it) but I would rather feel better day to day than feel lousy all the time. I'm hoping to add in more foods with more nutritional value and see how it goes from there.
No thanks to my gastro...

--------------------
IBS-A (Currently in stuck in heinous IBS-D land)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What has worked for me... new
      #299342 - 02/08/07 12:21 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I'm happy for you! How did you figure this out?

Have you tried non-wheat pastas, breads, cereals? That would give you some variety. You can get wheat free or gluten free if all gluten bothers you. How about some potatoes or more SF veggies like squash.

Quote:

And I've managed to eat beef Teriaki, some greasy Lo-mein and 1 pork dumpling all in one nite without incident.

The noodles and dumpling would contain wheat!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#299348 - 02/08/07 12:44 PM
yvette71

I don't think I'm allergic to wheat per se....I think I just needed to find foods that would calm down that "gastrocolic reflex", calm that raw irritated nerve...So I decided to avoid pasta, bread etc. I just did the chinese food this past week and I ate lots of white rice with it, so we'll see...I'm not too crazy to go hog-wild and tempt fate. My pain does get pretty bad and have found even Vicodin won't touch it...

As how I figured it out...Out of desperation I called a great gal Jill who runs another website for bladder/pelvic issues. She actually had Heather "speak" on one of our online group chats to discuss IBS. Jill proposed the idea of skipping otameal, and looking into grains--like what works for and what doesn't thru trial and error.

--------------------

#299350 - 02/08/07 12:50 PM
RebeccaM

Loc: Orange County, CA

Why oatmeal? Oatmeal isn't made out of wheat.

--------------------
On the diet since June 2006, IBS-C cleared up, still have abdominal pain; taking 1 Ultracet every a.m. for pain

#299355 - 02/08/07 01:13 PM
yvette71

No you are right, but it is a grain I decided to not include. For whatever the reason it made me feel icky and made my IBS-D worse not better.

--------------------

#299362 - 02/08/07 01:37 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Maybe it was the IF?

Or the gluten? It's not gluten free, is it?

#299370 - 02/08/07 02:32 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

What did you eat for protein?

I was prescribed Elavyl for IBS many years ago by a gastrologist. It does help. I had to go off it when it was causing tachycardia.

#299373 - 02/08/07 03:10 PM
yvette71

I don't know if it was the Gluten. I know I'm not allergic to gluten but I wouldn't be surprised if I am sensitive to it...Protein was a tough one...so at first...nothing just the rice, carrots and such...I started to add egg whites after several days. I should note that I ate verrrrry slowly. I'm used to inhaling my food. Truthfully I was really afraid to eat anything for some time.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4116

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review