All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and skiing?
      #299230 - 02/07/07 12:12 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

So...I used to be an avid skier before I "got" IBS... This winter, my husband and I wanted to finally go skiing again...

Does anyone here ski? How does it affect IBS? It's exercise, but it's not mild at all.... I used to go to the lifts when they opened (usually 9 am) and leave when they close (around 4:30 pm, 5 pm so full day skiing no stop for lunch, lunch is eaten on the lift) and I ski quickly so I was exhausted by the time it was 5... Maybe I should cut back on that now?

It would suck if I would spoil my husband's vacation

I guess my question is more like: how does vigorous all-day exercise done for like 7-8 days affect IBS? I have IBS-C, but I've read D-ers are afraid to exercise because of the D it causes... could it aggravate C too?

Thanks
--J

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and skiing? new
      #299268 - 02/07/07 03:57 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I ski a lot so I do have some advice. First of all for IBS-C it should be really good. Intense exercise is recommended. With IBS-D I've noticed that the skiing doesn't ever give me pain or an attack, but may make me have to go more often. I usually take Imodium on a day that I go skiing to cuz down on frequency.

I'm not sure where you are going but most ski resorts have cafeteria-style food in the lodges (if you're going in for lunch). You may want to look into packing a lunch instead. Most resorts will have a convinience store/small grocery store where you could pick stuff up.

If you aren't stopping for lunch, I suggest packing some snacks either in a bag or your pockets.

I also suggest going in for a break in the morning and one in the afternoon. Let your husband take a run and you can meet up with him after.

And lastly is try to get lots of sleep so you don't over-tire yourself.

--------------------
Kat

Re: IBS and skiing? new
      #299274 - 02/07/07 04:31 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Thank you, Kate

Yes, I am planning to pack lunch and snacks for the time we eat, that's what we used to do before... I will take lots of IBS safe food and try not to eat weird stuff. I also hope that the resort we decide on has a grocery store, because otherwise we would have to waste one of our days going to the nearby city for supplies.

We haven't decided where to go yet... we are looking for a place where there are enough black or double black runs (well, blacks are better, we might need to get back into shape) and that is not be very close to a major airport so the lines at lifts would not be crazy. I mean... I am not a fan of waiting for a lift, you can catch a cold that way. Do you have any advice in that regard? It's our first time skiing on this side of the Atlantic too.

Thank you for all your comments. I will try to get enough sleep That's easy after a day skiing, LOL. You basically get home(to the hotel/lodge/whatever), barely able to shower before you die on the bed

Your words are so encouraging, thank you very much! I hope it really doesn't act up (I will try to eat right).

Thanks!
Jerry

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 712 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 820

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review