All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Not sure if i REALLY have IBS
      #299153 - 02/06/07 05:07 PM
CheerStar723

Reged: 02/06/07

A year or so ago I was "diagnosed" with IBS....I was put on Zelnorm and it helped a little, mostly with the constipation. After keeping a food journal my doctor and I noted that there was no trigger food in particular, it was in fact stress that was a huge factor. Once I moved away from my parents house (alcoholism infested) the symptoms basically disappeared! I was off the medication and fine. I should also add I was anorexic/eating disordered for about a year and a half during with the symptoms got worse. So now a year after I initially stopped taking the medication I am having some of the same symptoms. Although I sometimes get constipated, I have horrible bloating and gas. My tummy always feels distended and full of gas....I am currently on Zelnorm and Bentyl but I still feel this way. I had previously tried to eat by the IBS diet guidelines and it really didnt work. I had a colonoscopy a year or so ago but they werent able to get all the way in because the cleansing pills didnt fully cleanse my system. I have been tested for food allergies as well and came up with none. I am wondering now that it may not be IBS that it may be something else commonly confused with IBS.Does anyone have similar experiences or a suggestion as to what else it may be?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not sure if i REALLY have IBS new
      #299213 - 02/07/07 11:02 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

See the sticky post at the top that lists the tests your doctor should have performed to rule out things other than IBS.

But, that said, why do you think this isn't IBS? Your symptoms sound in line with it. How long did you work on the diet? It takes a while with C. I felt better after about 2 weeks, but then had a bout with lots of gas. It took a good two months before I started feeling somewhat normal.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#299269 - 02/07/07 04:05 PM
CheerStar723

Im kinda new at these boards so it may take me a while to find whatever sticky post you are talking about lol. I dont think I have IBS because I dont seem to have any flaring or triggering correllating with the foods and the medication doesnt seem to be helping at all. Although diet is important, I would think the medication would have some effect. I think I may have a malabsorbtion issue but I would have to get that tested. Im only 22, I cannot do this the rest of my life ugh!

#299270 - 02/07/07 04:12 PM
BD

Reged: 11/05/03

HI I WAS READING THIS ONE AND I WONDER WHERE EXACTLY SI THE POST FOR ALL THE TESTS DOCTOR SHOULD DO BEFORE BEING DIAGNOSED WITH IBS?

--------------------
Smile!!!!

#299320 - 02/08/07 08:18 AM
CheerStar723

i wasnt able to find it either..if you do please let me know!

Check this new
      #299323 - 02/08/07 08:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

web page

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#299326 - 02/08/07 09:29 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Yeah, I still can't figure out specific food triggers sometimes. My biggest, most predictable trigger for an attack is stress. The problem with food triggers is the length of time food stays in your system. It's not an instantaneous reaction (unfortunately).

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1479

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review