All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I am at the end of my rope! HELP!
      #298953 - 02/05/07 09:45 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Help I am at the end of my rope with all of this. I am Ibs C and I am so tired of fighting this and getting no were. I eat turkey and chicken everyday its either one or the other for lunch or super and or pots or rice. Breakfeast is the worse I have almost nothing! I am so sick of all of them I could scream! They worse of it is I am still having attacks every single month around my period sometimes 1 or sometimes 3 who knows. Thats they only time I really have attacks. I have gas all the time and when I ovulate that week its someting new like c or maybe a attack or just more GAS!!! I give up I just want to be normal and have a poptart for breakfeast and grilled cheese for lunch and a pizza for super! I just don't were to go from here anymore. I am sick of the same old food I can't have rice milk or soy no fruit bread and to much bread gives me worse c spices are way out of the question they makes me sick with gas! WHAT DO I DO????? Me and my husband want to start trying for another baby and I am so scared that I'm not healty engouh or have enough good stuff in me to be that way & vitmains I can't feel well enough to take them. I am so lost. Thanks for letting me vent! I need all the prayers I can get right now and some good strong advice thanks! Emmasmom

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I am at the end of my rope! HELP! new
      #299000 - 02/05/07 03:27 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Hi,

I understand your frustration... I am sorry I can't talk more about this right now (I am really sick).

Just wanted to tell you to hang in there. There is hope.

I am IBS-C and felt that way for awhile... before I found Natural Calm/Magnesium Citrate/ so I could now eat white bread and potatoes without getting more C. It helped a lot.

I will write more when I get better, I promise. Just hang in there.

--J

P.S. I'm sick because it's that time of the month.. it's normal for me.

dear emmasmom new
      #299010 - 02/05/07 04:45 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

just out of curiousity, have you ever thought about going vegan? in reguards to you wanting to have another baby, you may think you would be filled with less "good stuff" since going vegan cuts out a lot..but i ask b/c i saw you tried soy/rice milks. has this crossed your mind at all?

i am a Cer who suffered the same and on the same diet for sooo long and when i was really young too (15) i went vegan 2 years ago and i get way more fiber and good proteins that i think i never would've gotten before when i was eating meats. i had always relied on turkey sandwiches for stability and bread products such as yourself but i found no relief! and i tried EVERYTHING..every product and i just ended up with terrible laxative use. then i went vegan. the meats you eat for your sandwich dont have any fiber and otherwise dont really contribute to your fiber intake for the day (which should be about 25-30grams).

there are lots of tutorials online that can offer up lots of info for a change that big. and also there are wonderful cookbooks that offer vegan/vegetarian recipes. i make the recipes myself and im not missing anything in my body. there is even a body-builder named Kenneth G. Williams who swears by his vegan diet for his strength. this diet also helps for ibs and especially Cers b/c a vegan diet is very low in fat/sat fat and cholesterol. and also the recipes are only bent around using spices..so you can control the mild-spicy ratio to your tastes and needs depending on your tum.

i can also tell you that for gas, peppermint tea is really good. and if you havent shopped thru this site yet, check out the acacia as its good for calming down an upset stomach. also, a lot of over the counter solutions, such as fiber pills and anti-gas meds, contain colorings and artif.ingredients that can also cause flare-ups. im sure if you alter your diet to a little more variety, that your periods will return to a normal 5-7 day cycle.

i hope that helps you a bit! i hope i dont come off as a little bookworm, i just totally feel for your situation. good luck moving forward and hang in there for the time being

reguards,
ashley

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#299011 - 02/05/07 04:53 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Do you take a SFS?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#299046 - 02/06/07 06:45 AM
Jeio

OK,

Someone asked if you are taking an SFS. That's a very good question. If you are not -- do. That's the single most important thing in my (and not only my) diet.

The second was knowing what will cause problems and what won't. That is accomplished with reading Heather's books (or the www.helpforibs.com website, that is this site, not just the messageboards).

The third was Magnesium Citrate. Without, I would not be able to stabilize, because eating all the soothing starches would make me so C. Taking a mild laxative that is not full of chemicals and didn't make me gassy was essential.

That's it. Mag Citrate allowed me to not abstain from eating bread, pasta, potatoes and rice... and those things soothe your tum. The SFS is the most important thing though. It soothes in itself... did you read Heather's books (or this website... I read the website, then bought the books, but Heather was very generous to post most of the information on the website)?

I don't see a point stopping to try to control your IBS, because... well, what other options do you have? I was so scared when I first started the diet... but I persevered, because I had no choice...anything that stopped the pain was acceptable... and I had success. Other than when I have my period (or when I eat too much of the wrong thing, LOL) I am pretty stable and pain free. And I am a C too.

I hope you consider doing the three things I mentioned above.

Re: I am at the end of my rope! HELP!-Jeio new
      #299083 - 02/06/07 09:13 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Do you use Natural Calm? How much do you take per day? Thanks. Debbie IBS-C

Re: dear emmasmom-Ashley new
      #299085 - 02/06/07 09:16 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Ashley - Are you getting enough protein - I a nervous to add in beans, lentils for trapped gas. Are you okay with soy? Can you give me a sample of your days diet? Thanks, Debbie IBS-C Vegan

#299106 - 02/06/07 11:27 AM
Jeio

Hi, no, I use Magnesium Citrate, that's the generic version of Natural Calm... I can't stand Natural Calm's taste, but I seem to be the only one, LOL, so I still recommend it to people.

I am taking about 2-2.5 oz (depending on what I ate during the day) of the liquid Magnesium Citrate (cherry flavor to be precise, that's the only one that cuts it in terms of taste).

Natural Calm is Magnesium Citrate with Stevia and artificial flavors. They have lemon-raspberry and orange and what not, but I hate how they taste (at least the orange one is terrible). The stuff they sell in my local pharmacy under "Magnesium Citrate" is
1) cheaper
2) less yucky to my taste
3) easier to take (because it's already liquid, you just measure and drink, rather than make tea and stuff)
4) works

so you can see I have lots of reasons to prefer it, LOL.

I do take that now, because I destabilized... when I am stable, I can maintain my BM schedule without the use of any laxatives (but acacia, which is not exactly a laxative)

--J

#299136 - 02/06/07 02:46 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Prayers to you. I am not IBS-C, but I feel your frustration more than you know!!! I too long for a poptart, a grilled cheese and pizza, and have been dying for an IBC rootbeer. I want to say hang in there, but I have a very hard time doing that myself....

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#299145 - 02/06/07 04:05 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Since you are C, are you getting enough IF in your diet?

Re: I'm Back with more questions! new
      #299158 - 02/06/07 06:57 PM
emmasmom

Hi Thank you everyone who help me with this I do have more questions and iwould appericate all the help I can get ok here it goes
I do not take a SFF to afraid and can I do this trying to get prego and on vitamins?
What is MAgensium Citrate?
I don't know if i get engouh "IF" or not I try to add in some green beans or peas at super and of a moring I have been blending soem peaches and strwberrys and drinking that. But thats it how do you add more into with all the pot and rice and bread that you have to eat! Snacks are the worse how do I put a "IF" in there? I don't do well at all with beans! I am at a loss with this I have read the book and still confussed. Could someone give me examples of how they put "IF" in there routine! Any advice would be great I am ready to try anything! PLEASE!!! Keep it coming! Thanks again! Emmasmom
IBS C & GAS! GAS!

#299159 - 02/06/07 07:18 PM
neves4

Reged: 04/30/06
Loc: Redding, CA

So..you guys can take products with Citrate? I have found that Citrate bothers my stomach. At least that's the product my doc found that has been known to irritate stomachs sometimes. But...more feedback on this would be good. Thanks. Oh and it's been a long time since I have been on here. Hope everyone is well!

#299163 - 02/06/07 07:46 PM
Gracie

Using a fibre supplement is safe while trying to get pregnant and on vitamins.
I don't think you're getting enough IF for someone who is C. Although you need a SF base when you eat, is it possible you're eating too much? Would you be able to scale back a bit on the rice, potatoes, and bread and increase your vegetables?
For snacks, you can try having an apple, 1/2 cup of pineapple, or some kind of other fruit.
Have you tried Heather's fennel tea for your gas?

#299171 - 02/07/07 03:00 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I agree with Gracie. I'm C and pregnant. Doc said taking fiber is perfectly safe. I use Benefiber and it's been fine. I know you're scared to try it but not trying it doesn't seem to be working for you either, does it? I was very nervous adding anything to my diet after the initial stages but you HAVE to incorporate more IF into your diet as a C'er or you'll never feel better.

Good luck!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#299194 - 02/07/07 08:56 AM
Jeio

An SFS is like food. You can get all that fiber by eating TONS of potatoes, rice, pasta, etc (well, large quantities anyway). You wouldn't think eating lots of rice would affect your pregnancy, would you? Think of the the SFS as of a food. Yes some people have food alergies, that's true, but I think acacia alergies are pretty rare (at least rare on thie board).

Magnesium Citrate is a very gentle laxative that, unlike Miralax (a prescription laxative) does NOT cause gas. It's cool.

You say you have gas. Of the SF things rice is known to cause the least gas (well, they all cause very little gas, but rice causes the least).

How I put IF in my routine? Well...

Breakfast: Oatmeal (it has IF as much as SF)
Snack: Apple with peel
Lunch/Dinner: soup or entree with a SF base with some vegies such as small amounts of peas, onions, celery, roasted peppers (Yay), mushrooms.

The SF/IF dance involves the fact that you need IF to go. IF, however causes cramps, so you take SF with it to buffer it. For C-ers, we need more IF than most people, so we also need more SF to buffer it. So we either need to eat ENORMOUS amounts of rice/potatoes/sf vegies (enormous, really, you don't want to do that), or take a SFS with our food to help us eat our IF. That's why an SFS is so important. Because without it we can't get the IF we need to go regularly... unless we are up for the pain IF would cause alone.

I strongly urge you to get some kind of SFS, whether acacia or some other kind. I find acacia good, because it is tasteless and odorless. I hated metamucil (and it's bad for us too, because it has IF in it) for the taste, Fibercon was in gigantic horse pills... I haven't tried other kinds, since I found acacia pretty early.

#299196 - 02/07/07 08:58 AM
Jeio

What kind of Citrate was that? I don't think you could have had "just citrate"... What was the first part of what you were taking?

CORRECTION regarding Natural Calm... new
      #299204 - 02/07/07 10:35 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

Natural Calm is Magnesium Citrate with Stevia and artificial flavors.

Jeio - I've noticed you've posted this several times. This is not true. Perhaps the flavored varieties contain artificial flavors and sweeteners, but the original Natural Calm contains neither. You can check out the product literature on the Natural Calm website.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#299208 - 02/07/07 10:41 AM
Lisa Marie

Add some IF to your diet by pureeing those veggies that are difficult for you right now. Try soups and bean dips. Smoothies are a great way to get your fruit!

EXERCISE! If I go more than a day without exercising, boy do I feel it; I end up with C the next day, no matter what. Exercise is extremely important for C-ers, so do something every day.

SFS: Acacia WILL help!

Beano: I take four Beano pills before any meal that contains beans or veggies.

Hypnosis: The self-hypnosis program for IBS is WONDERFUL! Give it a shot! What have you got to lose?

Good luck...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: CORRECTION regarding Natural Calm... new
      #299220 - 02/07/07 11:23 AM
Jeio

Oops, I appologise. Thank you Lisa Marie.

Well it tastes bad anyway, LOL And the sweetener in the "flavored" one I also tried (orange) is Stevia, so it's IBS safe (but still tastes bad, to me, LOL)...

Also, it sais the flavors are natural rather than artificial. I appologise for that too... my mistake. They are just flavors, so very small quantities, but still, maybe someone cares if they are artificial or natural.

Thanks, Lisa Marie I am sorry, everyone. I hope noone got missled, I was just trying to help...

No problem! new
      #299229 - 02/07/07 12:09 PM
Lisa Marie

Just trying to avoid confusion. I wouldn't want someone to avoid trying Natural Calm because they think it contains something artificial.

So sorry you don't like the taste of it! I find it quite tasty.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Apple with peel as a snack? new
      #299231 - 02/07/07 12:13 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

You can eat this without eating any SF with it?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Apple with peel as a snack? new
      #299233 - 02/07/07 12:17 PM
Lisa Marie

The inside of the apple (everything but the peel) is the SF part. The peel is IF. So yeah, should be safe! I have no problem eating apples on an empty stomach; but I don't have fructose sensitivity either.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: No problem! new
      #299235 - 02/07/07 12:21 PM
Jeio

Oh, certainly, I recommend Natural Calm. I understand that the taste issue is extremely personal... I don't want anyone to miss out on something as good as this just because I have a weird taste...

I am glad you like it.

Re: Apple with peel as a snack? new
      #299238 - 02/07/07 12:27 PM
Jeio

Yup. I was avoiding them, but found I can do that

I tend to eat half apples, though, because the ones over here are huge and I can't handle a whole apple (I get nauseated, it's too much sweet stuff). Don't know if that matters... maybe if I had smaller apples I would be able to eat them whole.

Jordy, I seem to do fine with little SF and lots of IF. I only take 1 T acacia daily (three times a day a teaspoon a serving) and eat oatmeal (IF:SF = 1:1) in the morning... Thus, apples with peel should be OK for me. I don't have fructose sensitivity either.

Re: I'ts me again just a few more questions PLEASE! new
      #299282 - 02/07/07 06:17 PM
emmasmom

First of all let me say what a HUGE help you all have been this means more to me than you''ll ever know. God bless you all I do have a few more questions please just bear with me a little more! Ok What kind of SFF a pill or a power and how often do I take it and how much?
How would i cut back on rice and pots? I 'm confusees on that how would i get my sf? I am so tired of chicken and turkey:p but what do i do spices don't like me at all.
Can I have a snack with out a SF?
If anyone has anymore input on meal ideas or breakfeast or
snacks or anything else that would be helpful I would love them thanks again so much! emmasmom
IBS-C gas! gas! cramps & more gas!

#299302 - 02/08/07 05:11 AM
Jeio

For the SFS: Well, most people like Acacia. I like it too. You can buy it from Heather's store or from Amazon.com. You start with a very low dose, like 1/4 teaspoon I think, and work your way up... That means that you take that dose for acouple of days while your body adjusts, then take 1/2 teaspoon, etc.

The pills are convenient for when you're on the go, i.e. at work and you don't want people to see you mixing some kind of white powder in your food, LOL. Fibercon is an example of a pill form SFS.

If you do want to cut back on the rice and potatoes, have you tried sweet potatoes and squash? I don't know exactly why you are trying to cut back on them, do you have to lose weight? If not, don't cut on them, rather add IF to your diet.

Snacks -- no, you need SF. Good snacks are baby food, bananas, apples, applesauce cups (those Mot's flavored ones are cool), toast with a little jam and almond butter.

I think the best meals are also the easiest ones. The less ingredients the more sure you are you won't react to them.

Try making meals with things like:
SF base: rice, potatoes, squash, eggplant, quinoa or pasta
with
IF things: onions, celery, peas, corn, peppers, tomatoes

Try fish too. You don't have to stick only to chicken and turkey, there's also fish and seafood (if you like it, yuck). They are usually safe. If unsure, search the boards or ask.

So, what I do is I "saute" some vegies in a little cooking spray and water (that means I try to fry them in water, LOL), until they are tender, add the SF base and some spices if I feel like it (salt, soy sauce, things like that). I also use brown rice and seem to tolerate it fine. You can also try that, you are a C, right? The IF in brown rice will be good for you and it is one of the least bothering whole grains.

Seriously, though, get a SFS. It works wonders.

#299379 - 02/08/07 04:05 PM
Gracie

She is not getting enough IF for an IBS-C, and she's eating a lot of rice and potatoes and is too full to add more things to eat. Is that right emmasmom?
I suggested cutting back a bit on the rice and potatoes. Not take them out completely, but reduce the amount a bit, so she can add more IF.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3668

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review