All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Natural Calm ?
      #298808 - 02/03/07 02:09 PM
jshelt

Reged: 01/31/07

So I am thinking of trying Natural Calm. I am constipated again because my period is over. When I have taken MOM bad stomach pain and gas and when I have taked Miralax horrible gas pains. Does natural calm give anyone gas? Also, is there anything else that any of you take for constipation?

Thanks for all of your help and insights!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Natural Calm ? new
      #298811 - 02/03/07 02:25 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Quote:

when I have taked Miralax horrible gas pains

I was the same... well, mine weren't horrible, but I had so much more gas... and it did hurt.

Quote:

Does natural calm give anyone gas?

It didn't cause me to have gas. I haven't read gas to be a side effect (and Miralax tells you you might get gas if you take it, right).

Quote:

Also, is there anything else that any of you take for constipation?

I think Magnesium Citrate (the ingredient in Natural Calm) is the best thing. Are you in the US? If you are, you can find Magnesium Citrate generic in some pharmacies (in a little glass bottle, different flavors like cherry and lemon... cherry is nice, lemon is well... lemon, I didn't like it). Ask for it, it's cheaper to get it this way. Also, I didn't like Natural Calm's flavors as much as the cherry generic flavor (OK, I'm a baby, I like tasty things)

I am glad you decided to take Natural Calm, though, because I think it had a tremendous effect on my stabilization. Thanks to the folks on this board, who told me about Natural Calm, I stabilized fine (and thanks to Heather's diet too!). So, now I encourage C people to get Natural Calm, because it is soooo gentle and so good for us.

Go for it!
--J

#298813 - 02/03/07 02:39 PM
jshelt

Reged: 01/31/07

Thanks Jeio. I am in Arizona so I will look for it at one of the many drug stores we have here. I will have to post my result from it later.

#298819 - 02/03/07 03:33 PM
christie71

Reged: 01/20/07

I too, am thinking of incorporating Natural Calm or Magnesium Citrate, into my "regimen". Do most people taking this for constipation take the dose on the bottle and daily?

#298829 - 02/03/07 07:59 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

what dose of the natural calm did you take?

#298838 - 02/03/07 10:22 PM
Jeio

No, the bottle is 10 oz, I took 2 oz for awhile, then had to increase to 2.5 oz, and then had to decrease back to 2 and then 1.5 oz until I could stop taking it completely (because I had incorporated enough IF in my diet to keep C away).

#298839 - 02/03/07 10:25 PM
Jeio

I took Mag Citrate, never figured out the right dose for Natural Calm. I was trying to take more (because the dose I was at didn't work), but the taste was getting terrible and I cound NOT stand it. It was not going to happen -- taking something I absolutely HATE in a larger concentration for a long time, so I just dropped the natural calm in favor of the generic thing that I actually could stand the taste of.

Sorry can't be of any help for Natural Calm. They have dosage guidelines on the container, though.

--J

#298845 - 02/04/07 05:26 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

The container says you can take 3 teaspoons a day...but I only take 1 tsp and only every 3 days or so. But I take Miralax also. When I don't take Miralax (substituting Zelnorm for a week at a time) I take the NC (1 tsp) every night.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#299113 - 02/06/07 12:08 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I love the stuff and take 2-3 teaspoons every night. I found that regular old magnesium citrate did not work nearly as well as the Natural Calm.

MoM usually gave me D, as well as gas and some cramping the following day. Not very gentle!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#299482 - 02/10/07 02:06 PM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

Quote:

I am glad you decided to take Natural Calm, though, because I think it had a tremendous effect on my stabilization. Thanks to the folks on this board, who told me about Natural Calm, I stabilized fine (and thanks to Heather's diet too!). So, now I encourage C people to get Natural Calm, because it is soooo gentle and so good for us.

Jeio,

Remember me...a while ago you advised me to try Natural Calm but I couldn't find it in my health food shops over here. I did find a bottle of magnesium citrate (food supplement) which you have to take 3 times a day. Not sure if it's the right stuff? It doesn't necessarily say it helps constipation...it says "Magnesium helps to regulate calcium transport and is essential for proper bone mineralisation. Magnesium also plays a role in muscle contractions and nerve impulses." Unless by muscle contractions it means contractions of the bowel muscle?

#299484 - 02/10/07 03:22 PM
Jeio

I suppose it's the same stuff. You might need to figure out the correct dose for yourself though, meaning to take a little, see what it does, take some more if it didn't make you go, etc. I only took Mag Citrate at night right before bed.

The bottle I got from the pharmacy, that was called Mag Citrate, was a 10 oz bottle and they were saying take the whole. I only took 2 or 2.5 oz at a time and it was sufficient to make me go. (Bear in mind I needed the full dose of Miralax, half, 5/8 and 3/4 dose didn't work, which meant I was pretty C).

The fact it doesn't explicitly say it's a laxative was confusing for me too at first. The generic Mag Citrate I buy sais it's a laxative, but Natural Calm didn't. Thus when I was first looking for Natural Calm, I looked at the HFS. So, I asked for a laxative called Natural Calm at the local HFS (the Whole Foods store at Union Square in Manhattan is the closest HFS), the people there had no idea it was a laxative. I think when I first asked they had Natural Calm -- sleep aid (which is the same, it just helps with your sleep too). When I researched it a bit more and found it was actually the same product that seems to solve so many problems, and went back to the Whole Foods, they didn't have it any more. So I had to order it online...

I think the fact it's a laxative is somewhat of a side effect? In any case, it worked for me.

If you want post what it sais on the package of what you bought, we can figure out what 2-2.5 oz of the stuff I was taking would translate to in your package.

Oh, btw, it does help with sleep, LOL.

#299494 - 02/10/07 09:40 PM
cacao

Reged: 01/19/07

haha i went to the whole foods in union square to look for natural calm today, i was in the aisle with all the vitamins and stuff, but only found magnesium calcium citrate and stuff <.< hm sleep aid... i dont remember seeing that section, was it with the stress management stuff?
heh speaking of magnesium, im wonder if this is normal?-- i took 2 tablets of magnesium yesterday, 250 each and got D after the 2nd tablet, which i took about 6 hours after my first. today i took 3 tablets, one after each major meal and i feel super C even though i did have a bm in the afternoon.

#299504 - 02/11/07 05:37 AM
Jeio

Did you take magnesium-calcium or mag citrate/Natural calm? What else did you eat?

About Whole Foods, I don't remember where exactly it was, I don't really go to look for medicine at Union Square any more... the people there are so useless it's not worth it.

#299505 - 02/11/07 05:37 AM
Jennifer86

Thanks Jeio. Here's what it says on the label:

DIRECTIONS: Take three tablets daily, preferably with meals. Do not exceed stated dose. Each tablet contains 100mg (33% RDA)

#299515 - 02/11/07 07:55 AM
Jeio

Does it contain anything else? What are the inactive ingredients?

OK, here's what it sais on my package.

Active ingredient -Magnesium citrate: 1.745 g per fl. oz.
magnesium content 290 mg per 1 fl oz

When I was taking 2 fl. oz
That would translate to: 3.49 g magnesium citrate or 580 mg magnesium.

When I was taking 2.5 oz
That would translate to: 4.3625g magnesium citrate or 725 mg magnesium

I think what your package refers to when saying each dose contains 100 mg is magnesium (rather than magnesuim citrate), because the RDA for magnesium is 300 mg (and 100 is 33% of 300)

Thus, I'd say what I was taking would translate as follows:

When I was taking 2 fl oz you would take 5.8 doses (580 mg), and when I was taking 2.5 fl. oz you would take 7.25 doses (725 mg). Round those to 6 and 7 doses and you are good.

That, however, you can do if you are certain the other ingredients aren't something that could bother you in large quantities. So please make sure about that. YOu can also list them here so we can help (if we can)

#299516 - 02/11/07 08:16 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Jennifer86 - hi, I live in the UK too, and Natural Calm doesn't seem to be available over here. However, a nutritionist I consulted last summer recommended that I take Lamberts MagAsorb (available from various sites online). It is magnesium citrate in (big!) tablet form. Each tablet provides 150mg of magnesium. The nutritionist told me to take it at night before bed to help with constipation. (The directions on the pot say to take 1 to 3 tablets daily with a meal.) I have been taking 2 tablets, upping to 3 if I need extra help, every night. (I also take Acacia SF.) It works well and I think helps with relaxation. You may want to start with one tablet and increase if needed.I also take a calcium supplement with my evening meal, as the two minerals balance each other. Hope that helps.

Does Natural Calm have an immediate or gradual effect? new
      #299533 - 02/11/07 03:14 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

#299535 - 02/11/07 03:52 PM
cacao

i started adding in some bok choy... im chewing it more thoroughly now and eating less. hopefully i'll be fine with it... i went to trader joes and the whole foods at union square today still no natural calm but i bought magnesium citrate from cvs... that shouldnt be too different from natural calm right?

Immediate, but you have to figure out the right dose new
      #299569 - 02/11/07 08:34 PM
Jeio

Take too much -- D, take too little, no effect. You do figure it out pretty quickly, though.

#299571 - 02/11/07 08:35 PM
Jeio

That's probably what I was taking, is it in a 10 fl oz bottle? It worked well for me

Nausea new
      #299590 - 02/12/07 06:05 AM
DianeM

Thanks Jeio. I took 1/2 tsp the night before last and 3/4 tsp last night and had a good BM this morning - no D, but I am feeling pretty nauseous. I felt a little nauseous yesterday afternoon, and have been feeling that way all morning. Am I taking too much? I am also taking a tsp of Acacia (in separate doses) and one peppermint cap a day. Thanks!

Spoke too soon about D new
      #299592 - 02/12/07 07:24 AM
DianeM

Yes, spoke too soon - I just had a little D. Is this the sign that I took too much?

Re: Spoke too soon about D new
      #299609 - 02/12/07 09:55 AM
Jeio

Yeah, most probably. It always depends on what you ate during the day, which is why I took one of two doses -- 2 or 2.5 fl oz (depending on what I ate).

Try to cut back on it a little and see what happens. You'll figure it out

The nausea, well, I don't remember having nausea that I would associate with mag citrate. I only take it right before bed... Bear in mind, however, that I get nauseated very very easily and usually there's another reason for that -- riding in an elevator, a car, a train, someone wearing perfume I have to spend time with, etc. I could have had nausea initially, and just assumed I got sick because I stood up too quickly, or because of a smell, or whatever.

Just try a lower dose and see, if you're a little C, then it's inbetween.

Re: Nausea new
      #299611 - 02/12/07 09:58 AM
Jeio

Oh, and btw, the peppermint caps make me nauseous too...

#299627 - 02/12/07 12:08 PM
DianeM

Thanks again Jeio. I will cut back - a lot. My little D turned into a lot of D, so evidently that dose was way too high for me. I'm eating the same things I've been eating for a while, while trying to stabilize, such as oatmeal with blueberries, sweet potatoes, white rice, mashed peas or green beans, peaches and baked chicken breasts.

#299641 - 02/12/07 01:40 PM
Jennifer86

Quote:

Jennifer86 - hi, I live in the UK too, and Natural Calm doesn't seem to be available over here. However, a nutritionist I consulted last summer recommended that I take Lamberts MagAsorb (available from various sites online). It is magnesium citrate in (big!) tablet form. Each tablet provides 150mg of magnesium. The nutritionist told me to take it at night before bed to help with constipation. (The directions on the pot say to take 1 to 3 tablets daily with a meal.) I have been taking 2 tablets, upping to 3 if I need extra help, every night. (I also take Acacia SF.) It works well and I think helps with relaxation. You may want to start with one tablet and increase if needed.I also take a calcium supplement with my evening meal, as the two minerals balance each other. Hope that helps.

Thank you ever so much Rio, that's really helpful info. I'll look online for Lamberts MagAsorb now. Does it take a while to work or do you get results within the next day or so?

Thanks again.

#299642 - 02/12/07 01:54 PM
Jeio

Yeah, if the mag citrate is the only new thing, then it must be too much... Try taking less. I needed a bunch of days to figure out what will work for me. I was usually taking too little, so I was still being C, but one time, I tried 4 fl oz and I god D too... it kind of felt nice, though, because it was easy to go to the bathroom, LOL (I was so used to having a hard time in there...)

Anyway, magnesium is good for you so don't fear experimenting with the dosage

#299666 - 02/12/07 04:16 PM
cacao

lol was the D instantaneous?

#299667 - 02/12/07 04:26 PM
DianeM

Good gracious - I didn't work today and was out running errands. I was about to go into a bank, and had to jump back into my car and go back home. Very bad case. Ever once in a while I don't make it to the bathroom in time - this was one of those times. It lasted for a couple of hours, and I finally took some Immodium, which I had never used before. Seemed to work for me - glad I found the info about it on this board! You just have to laugh about these incidents - there's not much else you can do about them.

#299679 - 02/12/07 06:57 PM
Jeio

Seriously, are you OK now?

Maybe go back to 1/4 teaspoon or what the first dose had been? And increase to 1/3 or something like that?

--J

#299738 - 02/13/07 03:36 PM
DianeM

Yes, thanks Jeio, I'm fine - just feeling pretty drained. I'm going to wait a day or two before I try again, but yes, I think 1/4 tsp is probably what I need to start with. I started with 1/2 last time and increased to 3/4 the next night. Whew... won't do that again. Thanks so much for all the support!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review