All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Natural Calm ? new
      #299484 - 02/10/07 03:22 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I suppose it's the same stuff. You might need to figure out the correct dose for yourself though, meaning to take a little, see what it does, take some more if it didn't make you go, etc. I only took Mag Citrate at night right before bed.

The bottle I got from the pharmacy, that was called Mag Citrate, was a 10 oz bottle and they were saying take the whole. I only took 2 or 2.5 oz at a time and it was sufficient to make me go. (Bear in mind I needed the full dose of Miralax, half, 5/8 and 3/4 dose didn't work, which meant I was pretty C).

The fact it doesn't explicitly say it's a laxative was confusing for me too at first. The generic Mag Citrate I buy sais it's a laxative, but Natural Calm didn't. Thus when I was first looking for Natural Calm, I looked at the HFS. So, I asked for a laxative called Natural Calm at the local HFS (the Whole Foods store at Union Square in Manhattan is the closest HFS), the people there had no idea it was a laxative. I think when I first asked they had Natural Calm -- sleep aid (which is the same, it just helps with your sleep too). When I researched it a bit more and found it was actually the same product that seems to solve so many problems, and went back to the Whole Foods, they didn't have it any more. So I had to order it online...

I think the fact it's a laxative is somewhat of a side effect? In any case, it worked for me.

If you want post what it sais on the package of what you bought, we can figure out what 2-2.5 oz of the stuff I was taking would translate to in your package.

Oh, btw, it does help with sleep, LOL.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#299494 - 02/10/07 09:40 PM
cacao

Reged: 01/19/07

haha i went to the whole foods in union square to look for natural calm today, i was in the aisle with all the vitamins and stuff, but only found magnesium calcium citrate and stuff <.< hm sleep aid... i dont remember seeing that section, was it with the stress management stuff?
heh speaking of magnesium, im wonder if this is normal?-- i took 2 tablets of magnesium yesterday, 250 each and got D after the 2nd tablet, which i took about 6 hours after my first. today i took 3 tablets, one after each major meal and i feel super C even though i did have a bm in the afternoon.

#299504 - 02/11/07 05:37 AM
Jeio

Did you take magnesium-calcium or mag citrate/Natural calm? What else did you eat?

About Whole Foods, I don't remember where exactly it was, I don't really go to look for medicine at Union Square any more... the people there are so useless it's not worth it.

#299505 - 02/11/07 05:37 AM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

Thanks Jeio. Here's what it says on the label:

DIRECTIONS: Take three tablets daily, preferably with meals. Do not exceed stated dose. Each tablet contains 100mg (33% RDA)

#299515 - 02/11/07 07:55 AM
Jeio

Does it contain anything else? What are the inactive ingredients?

OK, here's what it sais on my package.

Active ingredient -Magnesium citrate: 1.745 g per fl. oz.
magnesium content 290 mg per 1 fl oz

When I was taking 2 fl. oz
That would translate to: 3.49 g magnesium citrate or 580 mg magnesium.

When I was taking 2.5 oz
That would translate to: 4.3625g magnesium citrate or 725 mg magnesium

I think what your package refers to when saying each dose contains 100 mg is magnesium (rather than magnesuim citrate), because the RDA for magnesium is 300 mg (and 100 is 33% of 300)

Thus, I'd say what I was taking would translate as follows:

When I was taking 2 fl oz you would take 5.8 doses (580 mg), and when I was taking 2.5 fl. oz you would take 7.25 doses (725 mg). Round those to 6 and 7 doses and you are good.

That, however, you can do if you are certain the other ingredients aren't something that could bother you in large quantities. So please make sure about that. YOu can also list them here so we can help (if we can)

#299516 - 02/11/07 08:16 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Jennifer86 - hi, I live in the UK too, and Natural Calm doesn't seem to be available over here. However, a nutritionist I consulted last summer recommended that I take Lamberts MagAsorb (available from various sites online). It is magnesium citrate in (big!) tablet form. Each tablet provides 150mg of magnesium. The nutritionist told me to take it at night before bed to help with constipation. (The directions on the pot say to take 1 to 3 tablets daily with a meal.) I have been taking 2 tablets, upping to 3 if I need extra help, every night. (I also take Acacia SF.) It works well and I think helps with relaxation. You may want to start with one tablet and increase if needed.I also take a calcium supplement with my evening meal, as the two minerals balance each other. Hope that helps.

Does Natural Calm have an immediate or gradual effect? new
      #299533 - 02/11/07 03:14 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

#299535 - 02/11/07 03:52 PM
cacao

Reged: 01/19/07

i started adding in some bok choy... im chewing it more thoroughly now and eating less. hopefully i'll be fine with it... i went to trader joes and the whole foods at union square today still no natural calm but i bought magnesium citrate from cvs... that shouldnt be too different from natural calm right?

Immediate, but you have to figure out the right dose new
      #299569 - 02/11/07 08:34 PM
Jeio

Take too much -- D, take too little, no effect. You do figure it out pretty quickly, though.

#299571 - 02/11/07 08:35 PM
Jeio

That's probably what I was taking, is it in a 10 fl oz bottle? It worked well for me

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9837

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review