All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any Vegans?
      #298571 - 01/31/07 12:01 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

I have been having problems getting my protein. Beans have been giving me such bad gas and IBS attacks the next day. I can maybe eat beans every other day and only about a cup of them(if even). I am actually thinking about going back to fish. I don't want to do this but I am trying to hold on to 108lbs. I can't lose anymore and I need my protien. I am a yoga instructor and work out all the time. Any suggestions so I don't have to go against my own beliefs?

--------------------
KELLY

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any Vegans? new
      #298585 - 01/31/07 02:14 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi,

I have been vegan for about 8 years - I am also having trouble getting enough protein as soy is not agreeing with me anymore and beans make me nervous to eat enough to get my quota needs met. I hate to eat fish as it goes against my belief system too but I really need to start building my protein up in my daily diet. When I read your post I could not believe that someone else had the same thought as I do. Debbie IBS-A

#298587 - 01/31/07 02:23 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm not a vegan, but a local vegan place here in Chicago ( Veggie Bite) got the idea in my head of trying seitan. It's just wheat protein, so it might not give you the troubles that soy and other beans do. And it tastes so good....

Other (more beany) ideas: lentils seem to be a little easier to digest for me than other legumes. Hummus, because it is ground up, is also a very safe choice. And, if you can handle a bit of fat, nut butters are delicious and full of protein.

--AC, vegan 4 days a week

#298662 - 02/01/07 11:32 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm ALMOST vegan; other than the occasional consumption of egg whites (organic!) and fish. I add rice protein powder to my breakfast smoothie every day and that ensures that I'll get a good dose of protein to start my day. I often eat hummus or black bean dip for snacks in the afternon. Check out my "Ginger Butternut Lentil Soup" recipe on the Recipe Board (do a quick search) for safely incorprating lentils; they're way easier on me than any other bean.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#298683 - 02/01/07 05:35 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Maybe protein powders? Barilla Plus pasta has protein, doesnt it?

Thanks Vegan friends new
      #298686 - 02/01/07 07:37 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

8 years! I am still new to this I chose vegan when I found out I had IBS and Endometriosis. I learned how bad animal products are for us. I admit that I have had some fish slips. I use egg replacements for my recipies now but egg was hard at first to give up. I am now just working on getting all my protien. I love the cookbooks.

--------------------
KELLY

#298710 - 02/02/07 07:46 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I'm not vegan, but I've been exploring it. I'm having trouble giving up the ease and convenience of tuna.

Do you do tofu? I'm still learning -- it still tastes way better at the Asian foods restaurants! It seems that you can do nearly anything with tofu. I'm going to try scrambling it this weekend.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Quinoa is very high in protein.-nt new
      #298726 - 02/02/07 10:21 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Quinoa is very high in protein.-nt new
      #298729 - 02/02/07 10:30 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

It's simple to make and quite tasty, too!

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4069 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1582

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review