All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vacation help
      #298364 - 01/28/07 07:24 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

I am going to vegas with my husband for my birthday. I HATE to fly. I was wondering if anyone has advice. I am going to eat break the cycle foods for the week before so I only have really safe foods in my body. I am just worried about the mental thing. I think I might get something from my doctor. Any body been through this or have advice. Already nervous. Thanks

--------------------
KELLY

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vacation help new
      #298365 - 01/28/07 07:31 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Are you nervous about the actual flying part or worried you'll have an attack on the plane? If you're worried about an attack, just remember: you've got potties on board! Very convenient. I don't need to anymore, but I used to take imodium or my antispasmotic. The antisposmotic makes me drowsy so that helped me relax also. But, like I said, I don't need them anymore.

Have fun in Vegas and happy birthday! Try to relax and think of how much fun you'll have, not the plane ride.

#298367 - 01/28/07 08:45 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

Thanks. I am worried about both. I haven't used an antispas med. since I found this site. Maybe I will get some just for this trip. Then I will beable to relax on the plane. Getting nervous makes my IBS act up because that is all I think about when I get nervous. I am planning on getting the hypnosis c.d. Thanks again.

--------------------
KELLY

#298385 - 01/29/07 09:24 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You could also ask your doctor for an anti-anxiety medication like Xanax; that will also help you relax and sleep.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

HI KELLY! new
      #298398 - 01/29/07 11:31 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

I HAVE SOME TIPS FOR YOU! ive flown 3 times since finding/using tips from this site. i think the BTC foods is a good idea for the week prior. are you a C or a D? im a C.

i brought liquid melatonin (before the liquids scare) and took a couple drops under my tongue and sleep thru my flight which was 9 hours. yours will be shorter..like 4 or 5? take some before you board, and put it in your luggage you're checking onto the plane..NOT your carryon.

lavender oils are also really relaxing. putting some on your head to calm you is good. or a lotion to keep in your purse. what is the rules now for liquids on planes? are lotions allowed?

if you can, bring some acacia powder too if you are worried about symptoms arising while on your vacay. but keep it in its original packaging, and keep it in your check-in bag. also peppermint tea, and any type of ginger tea blend. im sure you can bring some bags on board, and ask for some hot water at beverage time. i did that and it was no prob.

also bring a sleep mask to help you sleep. and some headphones with calming music.

that is pretty much what i did. also look up some quick travel yoga poses. there is really simple poses you can do right even on the plane! some leg stretches and breathing techniques.

hope that helps you! have a safe flight and remember..just breathe..that will instantly help you calm down. and think about all the fun you'll have too! take care and have fun

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#298408 - 01/29/07 01:03 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

On top of IBS, I get flight sick. So, if the flight is long enough, I take regular dramamine (the kind that makes you drowsy) and just sleep. And when possible, I schedule a reasonably timed flight (i.e. not the first one in the morning!) so that I don't throw my sleep cycle off.

I flew about a week and a half ago and had a horrible start -- got up way too early for my body, couldn't eat any breakfast, and felt awful before getting on the first (of two) planes. About halfway through my second flight, I was able to eat a bit. Bananas or bagels are good, and luna bars aren't bad. I felt fine by the time we grounded. This is HUGE for me -- normally travel sickness kills a whole day for me, all if it spent feeling miserable. This was a short hour or two of feeling icky and then being fine. I think it's the combo of diet and hypno tapes -- the first calming the body, the second calming the mind.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#298520 - 01/30/07 08:24 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

It may be too late for this, but when we traveled recently, I intentionally booked seats that were in the back of the plane closest to the bathroom. Also, aisle of course so I would feel less inconspicous if I had to keep getting up. Here's a story for you that will make you realize that you can survive anything: I was on a flight home from Bermuda many years ago in a middle seat with my husband and I had to climb over some stranger repeatedly on the trip to use the restroom. While we were landing (yes, already descending), I had an attack and I just got up and went to the bathroom. The flight attendant was trying to stop me (she said, "Miss,we are landing...") but I just barreled her over and went into the bathroom. There I was, having my moment with a turbulent landing and bumping around in the John. So my point is....not to worry you...this is very unlikely to happen to you if you eat precautiously all week and take some immodium the night before and maybe morning of the flight. I had no knowledge of how to control my IBS at this time and somehow I survived. I never saw the people on that flight again and my even my husband barely remembers the incident even though it is magnified in my mind. Take some graham crackers along to keep your stomach settled and no harm in asking the doc for something to relax you. Plently of people take something to take the edge off while flying and they don't even have IBS. Good luck. You can do it.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: HI KELLY! new
      #298577 - 01/31/07 12:18 PM
goodcop1

Reged: 08/02/05
Loc: Hilton Head South Carolina

Thanks for the tips Little Bear. I'm flying Friday on a nine hour flight. Longest I've ever taken. Bringing the Hypno tapes with me too.

--------------------
"Thru Him with Him and in Him".

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2810

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review