All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS Diet for constipation. any one have any luck?
      #298187 - 01/26/07 04:11 PM

Unregistered

I've read (several times) Heather's Eating for IBS and it seems to refer mostly to IBS-D people. It refers to "attacks" often, which sounds like referring to diarhea. I don't have 'attacks". I have constant pain and discomfort. I have very very slow bowel movements, constipation-type of problems. Is this diet really for me too? I wonder. I've been doing it now for 2 weeks & feel no difference. I know it takes patience blah blah blah but all those little quotes from people make it sound like they felt different after a few days. Has anyone with IBS-C had any luck with this diet?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Diet for constipation. any one have any luck? new
      #298191 - 01/26/07 04:33 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

I have had luck with the EFI Diet, but it has taken me over 6 months of slowly introducing IF along with my SF back into my diet after being on the BTC Diet. I am IBS-C, pain predominate. I am now able to have a "normal" BM almost every morning, and the pain has gone from an 8 on a scale of 1-10 to between a 2 and a 5 depending on my stress level that day. It has not been easy, and I have been very frustrated at times; but I hung in there. As my GI Dr. said, "It took time for your body to get in the condition it is in, and it will take time for it to heal itself."
I found the people on this website very helpful and supportive. I don't post alot of questions b/c most of my questions are usually asked by other people, but I "lurk" everyday. Another thing that I feel has helped me with the pain is the hypnotherapy tapes. They are wonderful and have helped me to relax.
It seems to take people who are IBS-C longer to "stablize" than people who are IBS-D. Hang in there and it will get better.

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#298199 - 01/26/07 06:27 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Well, I'm IBS-C and I stabilized thanks to the diet, so YES, I did have success with it. I had to take laxatives forawhile but have been off them for at least 2 months. (My IBS hit 7 months ago), so stabilization must have taken me around 5 months.

#298203 - 01/26/07 06:57 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

What kind of laxatives did you find helpful?

#298227 - 01/27/07 05:04 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I think I told you...

At first, I had to take ex-lax and Miralax (those two sucked bad). Miralax is a prescription thing that my doctor gave me, because MOM was doing nothing. When I think about it, maybe I wasn't shaking the bottle enough when I took it, and that's probably why it didn't work, but anyway, I'm glad it happened that way, because...

Then I found about Magnesium Citrate! That was COOL! I found it in the local pharmacy with a cherry taste, mmm. I also bought Natural Calm, because everyone on this board was talking about it at the time (thankfully, otherwise I would have never found out about it!!!), but the taste was bad so I went for the cherry Plus the cherry one seemed to work so wonderfully -- no cramping, NO GAS (as Miralax made me have gas), no unpleasant feelings.

About Natural Calm, I got an orange flavor and it tasted bad, but maybe the raspberry doesn't...

Anyway, the Natural Calm and the Mag Citrate are supposed to be the same (in terms of their main ingredient). Natural Calm has stevia, whereas the generic thing (cherry flavor) was made with sugar. The only reason I did not use Natural Calm (although I knew everyone liked it) is the taste, LOL.

MOM, I've read on this board, is less gentle and may cause cramping. That's why, if you can find mag citrate, give it a try.

--J

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1269

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review