All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone eat whole grains?
      #298182 - 01/26/07 03:42 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I know it helps with IBS symptoms, but I'm concerned about all the enriched products recommended in the diet. White bread, white rice, white flour pasta, angel food cake...not much nutritional value in these. Is that healthy? Can whole grains be incorporated into the IBS diet? I'd love to have a piece of whole wheat bread again!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone eat whole grains? new
      #298200 - 01/26/07 06:31 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Quote:

not much nutritional value in these

What do you undestand when you say "nutritional"? Because it is obviously not the conventional meaning of providing calories and nutrients.

Yes, it is healthy, what's unhealthy in white bread and pasta (other than you get fat more quickly if you overeat with them, but with IBS you should NEVER overeat, but rather eat half portions).

Whole grains are triggers. Some people tollerate them, but that you tolerate something you can say only AFTER you have stabilized, so until you do stabilize, avoid ALL triggers. There are people on these boards who tolerate Whole Wheat OK, but most of us find it harder than other whole grains (such as brown rice)

#298212 - 01/26/07 09:46 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i tolerate whole grains quite well as long as its one or two at a time, i live for rye bread, eat kamut pasta and eat ww pitas, but i eat them with other things that are more SF, like hummus, squash, etc. It seems that the alternative grains are less of a problem for many rather than regular WW, give some whole grains a try, start with Brown rice and quinoa, then try millet and barley and Kamut, then try rye, then WW. I say go for it, i am stubborn and refuse to eat white flour products, oh and remember you can get lots of rye breads that are 1/2 rye and 1/2 unbleached wheat flour, so its a half half spread, but you get that whole grain taste and goodness

#302655 - 03/20/07 03:59 PM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Just curious, what is kamut pasta?

#302659 - 03/20/07 04:09 PM
Digby

Kamut is another type of grain (not sure what family it's in). I've had kamut and it's delicious! It also comes in bread and bagels. Trader Joes and Whole Foods carry it.

Thanks for the tips Miso. I can get my whole-grain fix now without resorting to whole wheat! And when I'm stable, I might try a slice of ww again.

#302769 - 03/21/07 04:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Remember whole grain oats, corn, barley etc are not as hard to digest as wheat. I can sometimes handle some whole grain wheat but not on its own and I am pretty good with IF.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks! - nt new
      #302772 - 03/21/07 04:43 PM
Digby

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1089

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review